100 miles per month for the last 36 months in a row! (Read 531 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Even awesomer if you drink 100 beers a month.

Those would be mutually exclusive for me at least.

Charles G

I'm currently on a streak of 78 months since I had Lyme disease in July 2010. My longest streak was 202 from January 1982 to October 1998 when I fell in the woods and ripped my hammy.

npaden

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think it keeps me from just slacking off and completely getting out of shape by knowing that I need to get at least 100 miles every month.  Hard to get too much out of shape that way.

I just can't seem to get the daily streak going, always something getting in the way so this is my streak.  I've been closer to 150 miles most months and that probably is a better indicator of actually staying in good shape, but life gets in the way sometimes and I still have a month here or there that I don't quite hit the 150 mark.

Pretty impressive streaks Charles.  202 months is a long one!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

WTG

Not sure why, but one benchmark that I decided to try to stick to, was to run at least 100 miles every month.

I started the streak in March of 2012, and after hitting 100 miles for February with my run this evening that makes 36 months in a row.

I've had a couple close calls, in December 2012 I was on the treadmill on new years eve knocking out 5.5 miles after being sick for a week over the Christmas holiday to get my 100 miles in with just a couple hours to spare.

In February of 2014 I was very lucky to have my 100 miles in before breaking my collarbone skiing on the 22nd.

I was running again on March 13th with my arm in a sling and was able to get in my 100 miles by the end of March fairly easily, if running 100 miles with your arm in a sling could be considered easy.

Since then the only close call was this September when I drew a once in a lifetime Mountain Goat hunting tag.  I worked pretty hard to get my 100 miles in before leaving on the hunt on the 18th, thinking I might end up hunting through the rest of the month and it ended up being a good thing because I did end up hunting the rest of the month and into October straight through for 18 days with no running.

No close calls since then, very thankful to have been healthy and able to keep this streak going.

I enjoy improving on my race times and all that, but the real reason for running is for the amazing results I see in how much healthier I am now than when I started running back in 2011.

Hopefully I will be able to keep at it for many more years to come.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Thanks for the comments guys.

I find your discipline amazing. Nice job. 

my 100 MPM  streak started July 2009 so when I hit 100 miles this next week I will be at 90  ?    I think that's calculated correctly & avg is probably in the 130-140 range. that avg has been dipping  last few months from closer to 145-150 range.

cannot even fathom 202.   incredible!

No more marathons

Crossed the 100 mile mark for February with my run tonight to make it 60 months in a row with 100 miles or more.  5 years!

Never would have thought I would be keeping it going this long when I started out.  It's almost become a habit now!

Nice!

I noticed I had a streak of sorts of 100 mile months going about this time last year.  It's given me a good target to shoot at each month to keep the thing alive.

Mine is no where near as long as yours, but it started in Jan 2015 so I'm now up to 26 months.  Just past 100 for this month today.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

npaden

Well, my streak is coming to an end at 67 months.  I only had 73 miles in for October when I went on a hunting trip on the 12th and I ended up getting sick and am still getting over it.  I am on some strong antibiotics and one of my co-workers swears that he ended up with ligament damage after running while taking antibiotics and that is one of the warnings on the label so I decided not to risk my long term health just to keep my streak going.  I think I could have pulled 27 miles out over the last week or so but I didn't want to risk it.

So I guess November 2017 will start a new streak for me.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Well, my streak is coming to an end at 67 months.  I only had 73 miles in for October when I went on a hunting trip on the 12th and I ended up getting sick and am still getting over it.  I am on some strong antibiotics and one of my co-workers swears that he ended up with ligament damage after running while taking antibiotics and that is one of the warnings on the label so I decided not to risk my long term health just to keep my streak going.  I think I could have pulled 27 miles out over the last week or so but I didn't want to risk it.

So I guess November 2017 will start a new streak for me.

Hey, if you don't end streaks, you can't start new ones. Well done to keep it going as long as you did. A 100 mile month may not seem like much to a lot of us, but the consistency to go that long without significant downtime due to injury (or anything else) is a hell of an accomplishment. Got me curious...I just checked, and this month puts me at 31 straight. 

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I decided not to risk my long term health just to keep my streak going.

Huh, a runner making a smart decision. Weird.

Anyway, sorry the streak had to end. Get healthy soon!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

67 months is a long time.

I hope to get to 100 miles a month soon.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Even awesomer if you drink 100 beers a month.

I'm lookin' at 168 after tonight, might make it 170.

Marylander

I've been thinking of doing the 100mpm streak since seeing skyedog mention it a couple/few years ago and was reminded of it when npaden started this thread. Both have been inspirational for me. After having to end a daily mile streak recently due to kidney stones (not actually due to the stones but the ureteric stent, which was torture) I'm glad I started the 100mpm thing. I'm now at 7 months. Between the daily mile (which I restarted) and the 100mpm streak I've largely turned my consistency on auto-pilot. Now to avoid giving myself bronchitis again like I did last winter. I haven't necessarily learned to avoid overdoing things yet.

As an aside the kidney stones were, in the end, a blessing. I'd been chronically dehydrated for a long time and summertime long runs (~10 milers for me) were terrible. Since the stones were removed I've been drinking big and have been doing hugely better in the heat.

2 years gone by already?  wow!!     my streak is still going since July 2009.   mostly in the 120's range instead of the 150-180's.    keeping that streak alive definitely is an even more  motivator for me these days.  Some days keeping that streak alive is the only thing that gets me out the door, even if it is just an easy 3 or 4 mile run.  Pays off by the end of the month.  I don't like having to push last few days to get the 100 miles. If I miss couple of planned running days then it has to be made up somewhere!!

Marylander:  good job on that streak, keep it going!!    I'm honored that I can be a small part of your motivation.  Feeling is mutual!  Got to keep that streak alive, don't want to let you down.  ha ha   and very good to hear that you are doing well after your health issues!

Cyberic

This thread made me curious. I'm currently at 56 months, and counting.