How do you... (Read 1303 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

...get your running clothes so fresh and so clean? It could be my imagination, but it seems like lately it is taking less and less work to make my work out clothes smell BAD! Tight lipped I don't sweat a ton, but could it be building-up in my dri-fit/technical clothing? I bought that detergent --WIN I think it is called-- but I honestly can not tell if the clothes are better because of it. They smell clean coming out of the wash, but man, they get bad FAST. Faster than they used to. Sorry for the gross post. I've just been self-conscious lately riding the subway home after a run. I seriously feel bad for the person next to me!!! Pointers? Confused

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

I make it easy on myself by not having a sense of smell. Problem solved. In general, though, my clothes are hung up on a line in my bathtub when I get done running so that they can dry. Once it's time to do laundry they haven't spent a week damp and molding in a hamper stinking everything up. I don't use any special detergent, although I try to dry them on the clothesline outside any time that its warm and dry enough.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

ultramarathon/triathlete

yeah, I always hang dry them, always. I should, however, dry them in the tub after a run so they don't fester. I bet that will help. thanks!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

I've noticed the same phenomenon with my running clothes. I am always careful to hang them up, and they are always dry by the evening (probably sooner, but I'm not home to check), but lately it seems that they smell worse at the end, and like you said, take less to get really gamey than they did before. I've soaked my HR monitor elastic strap in vinegar for a day once before washing it, and that worked great (it only had a faint vinegar smell later, and it went away quickly). I haven't tried it on my technical clothes yet though. It might be worth a shot.
          Brandon

Giant Flaming Dork

Seriously? I take my running clothes in the shower with me. That way they get rinsed out before they ever go in the wash.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Ostrich runner

Seriously? I take my running clothes in the shower with me. That way they get rinsed out before they ever go in the wash.
              This is what I do as well. Also, wash your ass an extra time.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

+1

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

+1
                  So what, like two extra times?

sean

Sometimes.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

(I'm not a hippie Big grin) I sweat a ton and I usually wear running clothes (tech shorts and tech shirt) more than once (up to 4 or 5 times) before they get washed. I sometimes wear my undergarments (tshirt and undies) out on runs, but I only wear these once before washing. Early on, I did have issues with some of my tech shirts getting funky even after washing they'd have this funk smell and for some reason they had a out funkiness to them after just a single run. I currently wash with All (the anti-allergic stuff) and some tan bottle fabric softener. Pointers? Carry around a few Frabrezze bottles and hand them out on a loaner basis to those you sit by on the Subway.

Vim

With a wash rag made of technical fabric?

Vim

Mishka-old log

...get your running clothes so fresh and so clean?
                          The key is pretending you don't care. -so fresh and so clean, clean-
                            This stuff: I'm a huge sweater and after several years of running my clothes were like yours- they smelled fine out of the dryer but within minutes on were gross. I tried WIN too and it didn't help at all. Then I tried OxiClean (not to sound like a commercial). I put in a load of all running stuff, you add a scoop of OxicClean in with your detergent and after running the load twice all the funk was gone. Now I rinse my stuff out with OxiClean in the sink right away and hang it to dry, then just throw it in the washer when I'm ready for a load.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This stuff:
                              YES! Good for kid stains, too...catsup, mustard, grass...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

My tech stuff never smells. At least not that I have noticed. dh's doesnt either and he has made most of his normal clothes reek over time. I periodically have to throw out his work shirts and his towels because they reek. But his cycling clothes are fine I wash all tech clothes in woolite in cold on the gentle cycle and hang to dry. I think putting them in the dryer is what makes them stink. Baked on residual oils. Its like a stain...dont set it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7