Start point not shown correctly on a custom workout (Read 264 times)

On my custom workout run of 01/06/2010 using my 310xt the start point is shown as being considerably after where I actually started.  In fact the run shows as being 9.88 miles long as opposed to 10.05 miles long as shown by Garmin Connect for this same run.  My understanding is that Garmin doesn't put out an xml entry when the start/lap buttons are pressed.  It seems that RunningAhead is picking as the starting point that location where the first change in direction/speed is logged to the xml file.  I need to look further to see if this always happens or only on custom workouts.

Edited to add that in looking at other maps of my runs using both RunningAhead and GarminConnect I only see discrepancies when a custom workout is involved.

eric :)

RVDowning,

Trent reported this problem several days ago.  At first I thought it was caused by the changes I made in the parsing code in the upcoming release.  The fact that you're experiencing it on the main site confirms my suspicion that it could be a Garmin bug.

I will need to do more investigation, but one possible explanation is that Gamin Connect uses a different method to download data from the Forerunner than RA.  Garmin's plugin provides at least two different ways of downloading data, by the way.  It's highly possible that Garmin broke the method RA uses in the version of the plugin that you have.

Which version do you use?

My Garmin firmware is version 2.70.  I'll have to look to see what version of the Communicator plugin I use if that is what you are referring to.  I'll have to do that later since I'm at work now.