Advantages of running long and slow... (Read 595 times)

vicentefrijole

I though some of you might find this interesting (passed on to me by the Chicago Area Runners Association -- CARA). This is a blurb from Jenny Hadfield (who is married to John "the Penguin" Bingham) and is co-owner of Chicago Endurance Sports. She relates the following story from last spring: ----------------------------------------------- Last spring, I had the pleasure of running with Daniel Cheruiyot, a Kenyan runner who races for John Bingham Racing. We were in Tucson preparing for the Arizona Distance Classic and he asked me to go for a run with him. At first I chuckled, thinking yea, right, I am going for a run with a Kenyan runner. No way... Then he explained to me that he was running SLOW. I chuckled again and thought, yea, slow for a Kenyan runner is still too fast for me. He assured me it would be okay and we headed out the door. While on the run I asked him what his typical slow pace was and he replied 8:00 minute miles. I was shocked! He runs sub 5 minute per mile pace in races and his slow pace was 3 minutes slower. Wow! He also added that most American runners, especially new runners, train too hard and too fast. I've always known the benefits of truly training easy on easy days, but this was a true testament that it works. So, on your next "easy" run, truly take it easy. Make sure you can have a conversation and aren't gasping for air. If you are using a heart rate monitor, hang around 65-70% of your max or at a pace that is very comfortable. Because running easy allows you to run hard. -----------------------------------------------
      That really is quite interesting. I always make my easy days about 30 sec's slower than tempo days. I'm pretty consistent with my speed & I just consider easy days the ones that I run a tiny bit slower & feel good & relaxed. But, I am slow & like to be slow, so maybe I should take this advice seriously. Of course, the problem is, that if I run any slower, the painted turtles will be passing me at an alarming rate!! Blush
      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Of course, the problem is, that if I run any slower, the painted turtles will be passing me at an alarming rate!! Blush
        Heh, that's my problem, too--and you are faster than I am! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm having trouble keeping my HR at below 70% at the moment and to still be moving forwards at all, but I guess that will become easier once I've got a few more miles under my belt. It is more 'fun' to be watching the HR as I'm running though and then adjusting the pace to try and keep it at a certain level than to just be watching the stopwatch and trying to beat my previous time for that route. It's a much more realistic aim for each run to be keeping at a certain HR than beating the clock every time also.