Weirdest thing you've ever seen on the ground during a run..? (Read 11262 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Not on the ground.

Today a car passed me.  In the front passenger seat sitting very upright and belted in was a large dog. I think a Bull Mastiff.  In the back seat was a middle aged woman with her head out the window. 

I laughed for a block

That's right out of The Far Side.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Plus "Bull Mastiff" is just a funny sounding name in general.

Sort of on the ground but in sync with the theme of "unusual stuff you see when you are running".  Friday night I saw a chicken in the park that I run through.  I live in the largest city in Canada.  We are not allowed to have chickens because it is a metropolitan area. We have no zoos nearby.  Where did the chicken come from?  Weird. 

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

5 dead tree frogs over a 7 mile stretch.  We had a wicked storm here last night, knocked down several trees (including several of my neighbors')...must have blown the little guys right off the trees, and --- splat.

DespiteMyself

Ok...wasn't on the ground, so doesn't fit the definition of the topic exactly.  But...uou know those "lost dog" or "lost cat" pages you see stapled on telephone poles...yesterday I went by one and then *click" realized I had to circle back and look at it again. 

Yes, yes indeed.  It did say "Lost Chicken".  "Have you seen my Chicken".  With picture of said chicken.

I think he's in Canada ... see roadrunner's post on 6/5/11 ... was he trying to cross the road? Maybe trying to find his way back home??

Sorry ... I resisted tempation to respond to roadruner's chicken story, but when I saw MilkTruck's post on 5/27, I had to put the two of you in touch with each other!Joking

Oops! misquoted your name rururunner ... humble apologiesBlush

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

Had to hop over a dead porcupine this morning...that was a new one for me. 

A Saucy Wench

Had to hop over a dead porcupine this morning...that was a new one for me. 

better a dead one than a live one

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

keeponrunning

better a dead one than a live one

+1.  I've seen those, raccoons, and skunks while running.  Saw a coyote along one of my regular routes a couple weeks ago.  Thankfully I was on an ATV not on foot!!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

+1.  I've seen those, raccoons, and skunks while running.  Saw a coyote along one of my regular routes a couple weeks ago.  Thankfully I was on an ATV not on foot!!

Coyotes are scared of us running humans.  I've come across two that took off running when I approached.  Different story among other dogs.  My dad runs my sister's two huskies (one is part wolf) daily.  He was followed by a coyote a year ago when running along a bike trail near a creek.  He had no idea it was following them and wondered why the dogs kept trying to stop and turn around.  My dad finally looked over his shoulder and the coyote was two feet from the dogs nipping at them.  My dad started yelling and the coyote took off.  Crazy.

I saw a dead squirrel on Sunday. It wasn't weird as such, but it set of a chain reaction of life and death thoughts for the rest of my run.

Cool as a Cucumber

I saw a deer leg in the middle of the trail. Kinda wondered how it got there and where the rest of the deer was.

The pavement fears me.

keeponrunning

2 turtles meandering across the path.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

dallasboycows

seen too many weird, out of place, disgusting things to even pick a number one.

A few years back in southern Mississippi I saw several odd sights all on the same run.  I was out for a solid 10 miler that had me go through a park and down along the coast.  I saw a fox that I saw often on my morning runs but this was in the middle of the day, an alligator (about 8-11ft) sunning up on the banks of a small inlet, several wild rabbits, 2 different snakes, and an armadillo.  This was all on one run.  None of them were rare sightings but all on one run was odd.

I also found a $3 Clinton bill once.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

The shirtless wonder

I once saw another runner wearing a pink sports bra.  He was out running.  Yes, he.  It wasn't even during a race. He probably lost a bet.  He could have beaten me to a pulp so I didn't ask him why...