Weirdest thing you've ever seen on the ground during a run..? (Read 11262 times)

No run...need sleepy!

I can't believe I've forgotten this until now!

Last Easter I did my normal morning run in Busse Woods (a great sprawling forest preserve in the suburbs of Chicago).  I came out of a wooded section into a small clearing and there were about 10 people singing.  Just a simple choir making a joyful noise.  There was no audience and no indication that they were intentionally singing for people on the path.  It somehow seemed significant at the time that they were oriented randomly...genuinely there to just sing.

I floated the rest of the way.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I can't believe I've forgotten this until now!

Last Easter I did my normal morning run in Busse Woods (a great sprawling forest preserve in the suburbs of Chicago).  I came out of a wooded section into a small clearing and there were about 10 people singing.  Just a simple choir making a joyful noise.  There was no audience and no indication that they were intentionally singing for people on the path.  It somehow seemed significant at the time that they were oriented randomly...genuinely there to just sing.

I floated the rest of the way.

Angels from heaven.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I came out of a wooded section into a small clearing and there were about 10 people singing.  Just a simple choir making a joyful noise.  There was no audience and no indication that they were intentionally singing for people on the path.  It somehow seemed significant at the time that they were oriented randomly...genuinely there to just sing.

I think I would have been tempted to join them, as long as they had in their repertoire something I knew.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, this wasn't really weird, but it was "on the ground" and funny.  A motorcycle with a sidecar and two tiny little girls...maybe 3-4 years old (with cute little helmets) waving from the sidecar like they were in a parade.  I couldn't help but grin at them.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

wildchild

Carolyn

I saw a deer leg in the middle of the trail. Kinda wondered how it got there and where the rest of the deer was.

A couple days ago I was trail running with my dog, and she picked up a deer leg she found in the woods.  I made her drop it, and she dropped it on the trail. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Stacks

Snapping turtle laying eggs in a hole at the side of the trail.  Like she was dropping ping pong balls down there.

All of this on tonight's run. 

Stopped to watch a beaver swimming around.

Turtle egg laying season is almost over.  Only saw two turtles laying eggs. 

A butterfly (mostly yellow with some black) paced me for a 1/4 mile. It kept perfect formation about six feet in front of me. 

Hi! Recently became a member here to track my runs...

Last week Friday my dog & I were startled by an alligator on our am run. Made me think about bells!

Am I doing this right?

I watched a hot air balloon land this morning while I ran past.  

It flew directly over my head just after I started.  Then about 1.5 miles in it tried to land, but aborted.  At about 3 miles it finally touched down.  It landed about a 1/4 mile away on a gravel road.  By the time I finished It was driving by in the back of a pickup.  

Kind of a cool thing to watch.

No excuses....

kippyc

A large dead animal on the side of the road with guts hanging out.  It had been there for a while and was fully maggot-infested.  I'm guessing it was maybe a cow?  It wasn't as big as a full grown cow but could have been a ~1 year old cow.  It was kind of disturbing.  This is in a rural area, dirt road.  Last year in the same area I saw 4 coyotes that had been shot and dumped - I guess probably by a farmer.  It makes me think twice about running in this particular area, but it's a shame cuz it's a pretty area, despite all the carcasses.  Undecided

The shirtless wonder

A large dead animal on the side of the road with guts hanging out.  It had been there for a while and was fully maggot-infested.  I'm guessing it was maybe a cow?  It wasn't as big as a full grown cow but could have been a ~1 year old cow.  It was kind of disturbing.  This is in a rural area, dirt road.  Last year in the same area I saw 4 coyotes that had been shot and dumped - I guess probably by a farmer.  It makes me think twice about running in this particular area, but it's a shame cuz it's a pretty area, despite all the carcasses.  Undecided

A deer?  A few years ago I ran along my normal route and cars were pulled over.  I asked if everything was OK -- it was.  They had struck a deer.  The following week I ran the same route and had to cross the street to avoid the THOUSANDS of maggots spewing from the carcass.  

Gig

It's not too weird because it's an annual thing, but it is really cool. Running through the Naval Academy campus, I watched about a dozen middies hanging onto a rope ladder that was dangling from a helicopter flying over the water. I've seen it a few times over the years, and it makes me jealous every time; it looks like so much fun.

U.M.W.B

My reflection in a puddle! Big grin

U.M.W.B

It's not too weird because it's an annual thing, but it is really cool. Running through the Naval Academy campus, I watched about a dozen middies hanging onto a rope ladder that was dangling from a helicopter flying over the water. I've seen it a few times over the years, and it makes me jealous every time; it looks like so much fun.

SPIE Rigging. Used for rapid insertion and extraction of troops. And entertainment of Navy midshipmen, of course.

One of the coolest things I've ever done.

Now, a dead raccoon is not that weird to see on a run, but this one was in a box on the side of the road - like a stealth corpse. Meaning I didn't know what it was until I was right next to it and inhaling.  Oh lord, I nearly vomited. After putting some distance between us, I just kept wondering Why in a box? If you are going to go to the trouble of boxing it up, just bury it. I spent too much of my run trying to figure out how to get past it on my way back without further trauma.