Weirdest thing you've ever seen on the ground during a run..? (Read 11262 times)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

This is not weird but I am absolutely amazed at the number of cell phones I find during runs.

When running around our local Best Buy, I have the same experience.  Outside, I can't say that I've ever found a cellphone.   

Re (not so) civilized Brits:  going out on a Friday or Saturday night will confirm this... and that's just the women.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

DespiteMyself

Doe (.....a deer, a female deer) ...... about 50 paces ahead of me, ambling across the street. Yeah, we see deer aplenty here in the northeast, but not always strolling along in a suburban neighborhood. Had to clap my hands loudly to get it to lope away. Didn't want to come too close before it got startled ..... jogger + startled deer = jogger down.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A whole, uncooked turkey.  In the middle of a waterfront trail (near a parking lot).... it was just getting to be daylight when I happened upon it so it startled me and I had to jump over it.

haha, that's a good one.

If we're going that route, this morning I saw a couple of uncooked dogs and a running uncooked rabbit. 

Yesterday it was still dark and I stepped on something squishy, couldn't figure out what it was, thought "ew" and figured I didn't want to know and kept on going. On the way back, it was getting light out and I saw that it was a pair of those traffic-counting tubes. I guess it was more the weirdest thing I've ever unknowingly stepped on during a run that turned out to be one of the most mundane things I've ever seen.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

haha, that's a good one.

If we're going that route, this morning I saw a couple of uncooked dogs and a running uncooked rabbit. 

Big grin

DespiteMyself

... but on a more serious note ... do these things attack runners? There's a flock of them living in the woods near a route I wanted to run and was really wondering about this - they love to hang out near the road. Seems they can and do, since MassWildlife gives tips on how to avoid conflicts with them.

"DON'T LET TURKEYS INTIMIDATE YOU Don't hesitate to scare or threaten a bold, aggressive turkey with loud noises, swatting with a broom or water sprayed from a hose. A dog on a leash is also an effective deterrent."

Oh how my imagination can run with that ....

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

... but on a more serious note ... do these things attack runners? There's a flock of them living in the woods near a route I wanted to run and was really wondering about this - they love to hang out near the road. Seems they can and do, since MassWildlife gives tips on how to avoid conflicts with them.

"DON'T LET TURKEYS INTIMIDATE YOU Don't hesitate to scare or threaten a bold, aggressive turkey with loud noises, swatting with a broom or water sprayed from a hose. A dog on a leash is also an effective deterrent."

All the wild turkeys I have seen have been very shy.  I think it's very unlikely you would encounter an aggressive one.  Geese are another matter entirely.

You'll ruin your knees!

All the wild turkeys I have seen have been very shy.  I think it's very unlikely you would encounter an aggressive one.  Geese are another matter entirely.

The Wild Turkey with which I have had issues in the past looks nothing like that... Wink

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The Wild Turkey with which I have had issues in the past looks nothing like that... Wink

Yeah, that one's pretty aggressive.

i would use caution around them. if never had one come at me but you dont know what a tom might do to protect his territory, especially if you startle it.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

just yell happy thanksgiving and move onWink

steph  

a dead body - the runner who finished just ahead of me at the 1995 Columbus Marathon dropped dead at the finish line - not sure if this is weird - but it was unusual...

JML

My empty water bottle…..

OK…I will elaborate.

I was out on my long run last weekend before Irene came to town.  As I was cruising down a hill,  I noticed another runner coming up the hill on the opposite side of the road.   He was dressed in racing flats, split shorts (no shirt) and a watch.  He had great form and was definitely moving at a very fast clip.  As we got closer, I turned to give a wave and was startled to see him charging across the road directly at me.  I turned to face him and I heard a stream of words coming out of his mouth as he pointed at my water bottle while hopping impatiently from foot to foot.

“ohmygodyouhavewaterIneedwatergivemesomewaterwaterwaterNOW!”

A bit confused but not one to deny someone in obvious distress, I gave him my water bottle and watched him empty out the last few ounces.    Without a word, he dropped the bottle, turned,  bounded across the road and vanished in the distance at what had to be a sub 6 pace.  I still don’t know if I encountered a running meth head, coke head or a zombie runner but it was definitely one of my stranger running moments.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow, that tops the stolen stashed water bottle stories by a mile.  Hope you didn't need the water.  Karma points for you, I suppose.