Weirdest thing you've ever seen on the ground during a run..? (Read 11262 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I HATE it when I drop my loaded gun and can't find it later.  Though this spring, two guys on a tractor were attached by a rabid bear.  (I had no idea there were rabid bear. I  was not happy to learn about this possibility).  Thank goodness it was two guys on a tractor, and not, say, a runner alone on a trail because they had a shotgun.  http://www.readthehook.com/103234/harrowing-rabid-bear-attacks-men-royal-orchard  I hardly ever run with my shotgun.  

Smile

steph  

You'll ruin your knees!

From the article...

Running into a rabid bear can pretty much ruin your morning,

This was not your average bear. (also from the popular Yogi Bear cartoon, I believe)

The bear was killed on the back of the Gator

...animal control from Albemarle and a state game conservation officer came out and cut off the bear's head. (I can definitely see how this helps achieve "animal control")

I am not sure why the author didn't play up the Bear v Gator aspect a bit more... but I have to agree that it could be a real morning ruiner!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Aaaaaand the thread comes full-circle.  Yesterday I was talking to a friend and we somehow got on the topic of odd things found in the great outdoors.  He found a vibrator while out on his bike.  I believe it was also sort of in the middle of nowhere.  Maybe it's a regional thing. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I HATE it when I drop my loaded gun and can't find it later.  Though this spring, two guys on a tractor were attacked by a rabid bear.  (I had no idea there were rabid bear. I  was not happy to learn about this possibility).  Thank goodness it was two guys on a tractor, and not, say, a runner alone on a trail because they had a shotgun.  http://www.readthehook.com/103234/harrowing-rabid-bear-attacks-men-royal-orchard  I hardly ever run with my shotgun.  

Run with a hand-grenade.  You can put it on your fuel belt.

Jeff

Don't overstride!

I raced a turkey down our local bike path. Never caught up to him thoughCry

RuralRunner

I raced a turkey down our local bike path. Never caught up to him thoughCry

That reminds me.....several times I have been able to sneak up on cats while on our paved, wooded bike path. They'll be walking along the trail or just sitting there staring into a bush, and can I run as quietly as I can up to them before they notice me (it often has to be windy—I'm not that quiet a runner). Usually they see me about 25 feet away. But once I was RIGHT on top of one before it saw me and did the panicked, run-quickly-back-and-forth-which-way-should-I-go thing before taking off faster than I thought any animal could go. 

That was FUNNY! Smile

12 Squared

Ran past what I thought was a dead cat, but my running buddy correctly identified it as a fresh roadkill wig (hairpiece).

If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra
                Hoban-Jay

Just ran across (literally) a young but very dead fox.  It was laying stretched right across the trail.  Looked like the work of a coyote...or coyotes from no more then a day and a night ago.  It was probably a pup from early this spring. 

JML

I saw this 'helpful' message on the greenway on cape cod a few years ago.  Just found the photo on an old cell phone.  Somebody is not buying into the whole "exercise is good for you" concept....

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

J2R

Near where I live, there's an old cemetery I run through from time to time. I once saw a large piece of bone, like a section of thighbone, at the side of the track. Not wholly unexpected, I suppose, but a bit disconcerting.

Al Kabong47

I do some hill work at a local movie theater parking lot and one morning found a credit card (Wells Fargo)  There is a police substation nearby and I RAN  it there.  Much to my surprise the desk officer did not ask for my name etc.  I actually had to tell him -- hey what if this thing is stolen and has had charges put on it....not that I would have done anything like that and I don't want to be accused.  Better yet what if the person losing it wants to give me a reward?? (yeah right)  He then took my name and number down said they would call Wells Fargo and they would contact the account holder as to where the card was.  Who knows maybe he bought a big screen tv on his way home from his shift....and never called Wells Fargo.  It seemed like he felt bothered or maybe  I was smelling up his desk area with my perspiration.

During my marathon Saturday (my first, btw!), I saw some kind of drug pipe. Not sure what kind....it was small and brass. I suspect it was thrown out of a car window while someone was being pulled over. Not super weird, but a first for me.
                          Aitch

Captain Slow

Ooh, ooh! I once found half a pair of glasses. One arm, one lens. Severed cleanly down the centre. Explanation, please.Undecided

Smile

I was 5 miles out on a trail run when I came across a couple gettin it on in the back of there car.The windows were steamed up.I recognized the car from town.It was quite an affair goin on.They were surprised to see me!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, so not totally on the ground, but still kinda weird.

There is a woman in our area...perhaps late 20s or early 30s.  I see this woman nearly every day pulling a wagon with 1-2 toddlers in the back.  The fact that I see her nearly every day is not weird.  The fact that I see her all over the place and sometimes multiple times/day and in a 3-5 mile radius is what strikes me as odd.  Especially since she doesn't appear to be doing this for fitness.  I have seen her puffing on a cancer stick and texting while on these walks.  Today I saw her around 1:30, then again almost 2 hours later and just now she walked by our house--it's nearly dark and very windy.  The first time I saw her today was nearly 3 miles away.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay