Weirdest thing you've ever seen on the ground during a run..? (Read 11262 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Last spring while running on the C&O Canal Towpath I nearly stepped on a butterfly. After I did a little hop around it, it flew up next to me for a few seconds then out in front of me along the trail.  It stayed in front of me, just coasting along for at least a half mile.  As soon as it landed off to the side of the trail another butterfly flew out and took the place of the first one.  This one didn't stay with me for nearly as far but maybe a quarter mile or so and left me as I entered a wooded part of the trail.

This seemed like something I might have experienced while under the influence of recreational pharmaceuticals once upon a time.  Maybe a flashback?

I had a butterfly float around just in front of me for about a quarter of a mile last Summer...it was really a cool experience.  It was a monarch, my favorite bug.  I've always thought if I had a "spirit animal" that would be it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I found an empty Gu packet once.  Probably not weird for any of you, but it was for me, since I almost never encounter other runners, and when I do encounter someone else, they're just walking.

I also found a fully functional iPhone 4S - the newest model at the time.  Screen was shattered, but it still worked enough for me to see a phone number around the lock screen and get it back to him.  He wasn't as grateful as I would have been.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Shikari1

Cotton mouth

Sighted on a paved running path outside of the city-  broccoli florets and a little ways down the path, a dead skunk with no visible injuries.

This prompted two questions-

First, am I missing out on the latest mid-run snack craze?

Second, do skunks have a food allergy to broccoli?

I saw a brand of Middle Earth cereal this morning. Strange.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

A half eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The tongue of a big animal (bear?), on the ground, in front of a downed tree across the trail. Lots of blood on the log and around it.

Run for fun.

saw a 8-9 foot gator sunning itself on the shore of lake Parker today. I've lived in FL for a year now and this is my first gator sighting and geez that was big. It was about 15'  from the path. Some other guy was watching it so I made sure not to get any closer than that guy.

Revenge of the Nerd

Seen today on the side of the street: An interior door panel from and older model vehicle.  It had the old-school window crank.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

This morning ... a bathroom scale in the middle of the sidewalk bordering a park (not homes, where it might have been simply misplaced refuse) - perfectly positioned, just waiting for somebody to step on it.

(I declined, deciding it might be booby trapped.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This morning ... a bathroom scale in the middle of the sidewalk bordering a park (not homes, where it might have been simply misplaced refuse) - perfectly positioned, just waiting for somebody to step on it.

(I declined, deciding it might be booby trapped.)

Totally sounds like a hidden camera set-up!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Turk

I found my third cell phone on my run Sunday.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

A single baked potato.

Leah, mother of dogs

Last fall I was doing hill sprints at Waltor Payton hill, and while catching my breath at the top of the hill I noticed laying in the grass was a pair of purple panties.  Must be a pretty romantic place for some....

Seano

I had been running for about 2 1/2 hours,had a mild endorphine buzz going,  & was running past the broadwater at night, & saw some green luminescent thing floating toward me about 1 foot off the ground over the path.

My initial thought it was some sea creature crawled out of the water.

It was gliding straight toward me at a steady pace, so I jumped off the path.

It was about the size of a young child lying down.

Turns out it was a small child lying down, on a skateboard, rolling towards me on the path.

My night vision is not very good.

All these stories make me wonder if I live in the most boring place on earth.  I just checked my log....I have 1556 logged runs, and so far I have found a 10 dollar bill....that's it, nothing else but miles of street, and cinders in the winter time.  (Incidentally, my wife was along on that run, so maybe she gets the credit and I have a big zero.)

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.