Weirdest thing you've ever seen on the ground during a run..? (Read 11262 times)

I found a wallet today, on the shoulder of the road under a highway passing overhead. Alas, no cash, but it still had the guy's license, debit card, and a smattering of other cards inside. Oh, and a condom tucked away in there too. "Be prepared."

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

keeponrunning

Today I saw women's bedroom slippers.  I passed one, "what the heck?", twenty feet later there was the matching one.  It was in a slightly sketchier area of town, but why was someone on a bike path (which no houses face) in their slippers?  Even odder, they were a thin pair like you'd wear in the summer, and it was 25F on today's run without the windchill.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

JanaLamb

This is gonna be weird. I saw  a shoe sole, an outer sole. Then a few hundred meters later, I saw its pair sole. I can't imagine the shoes issue the runner who owned it had. And that is the story of "The Lost Soles".

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

kilkee

runktrun

I saw a boot, like an ankle bootie, with a mass of something in it and a bit of sock peeking out the top in a copse in Galway, IE.  I probably should have reported it...

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

JanaLamb

It's also really weird when you see someone slip on the ground in a funny way or something like that. Then you have to pull off a poker face and give your best effort not to laugh so they won't be embarrassed.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Joann Y

It's also really weird when you see someone slip on the ground in a funny way or something like that. Then you have to pull off a poker face and give your best effort not to laugh so they won't be embarrassed.

Yes. REALLY weird.

Not on the ground, but funny/odd none the less, while running on the air base in Turkey, ran past the dorms, where peeps were having a keg party and were taking pics on a camel.   Apparently, there had been a fair on base that afternoon, and while the local Turkish guy was walking the camel 'home', the 'kids' offered him a few U.S. bucks to bring the camel over.  Even it it cost them $40. or so, the Turkish guy got a pretty good pay day.

I can imagine the stories the 'kids' are telling this day..." one time I was at a keg party and..... "

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

A couple weeks ago I found a suitcase full of men's clothing.  Size XL, smelling of laundry detergent and cigarettes.

Leah, mother of dogs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

A couple weeks ago I found a suitcase full of men's clothing.  Size XL, smelling of laundry detergent and cigarettes.

Thanks.  I've been looking for that.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Thanks.  I've been looking for that.

Piss off your girlfriend again?

Leah, mother of dogs

Not especially weird, but.....last night running on the street, I kicked something that felt and sounded like a change purse, so I doubled back and sure enough, a small zipper purse with ~$25.  The cool thing was from where it was located I could narrow down with a fair degree of certainty which house it's owner lived in and either grandma has a great poker face and scammed me, or I made her night by returning it.

SheCan

Not especially weird, but.....last night running on the street, I kicked something that felt and sounded like a change purse, so I doubled back and sure enough, a small zipper purse with ~$25.  The cool thing was from where it was located I could narrow down with a fair degree of certainty which house it's owner lived in and either grandma has a great poker face and scammed me, or I made her night by returning it.

Ahhhhhhh, that's awesome.  Very nice of you to find the person.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Mostly harmless

Not exactly something I saw on the ground but...

A couple weeks ago I was out running on the towpath at the C&O Canal.  I was cruising along when suddenly a turkey came out of the woods about 20 yards up the trail and started running ahead of me.  It ran for a good 10-15 seconds before it finally decided to flap its wings and fly off.   On my return trip the same bird (I assume) did it again, but didn't run for nearly as long.  It just kind of pulled out in front of me and flew down the trail a ways, then ran off into the woods.

I live nearby and have run the towpath dozens of times.  I have seen a lot of wildlife on my runs but never a turkey before.

* Turkey is shown for reference. Not the actual turkey. :-)

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

I was cruising along when suddenly a turkey came out of the woods about 20 yards up the trail and started running ahead of me.  It ran for a good 10-15 seconds before it finally decided to flap its wings and fly off.   On my return trip the same bird (I assume) did it again, but didn't run for nearly as long. 

I see turkeys all the time and I have had one do this twice on the same road. It was in the winter when there were snowbanks and it was standing in the road ahead of me. When it saw me, it jogged along the edge between the snowbank and the lane cars were traveling in, just like I was doing, keeping about 20 yards in front of me for a good 100 yards until it turned into a driveway. The next day, the same bird (I assume) did it again except this time after 100 yards or so it took flight and flew onto the roof of a house.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My daughter and I were just in Cali looking at colleges. When we drove onto UC Santa Cruz, a massive turkey attacked our bright red rental car. It was fierce, defending its ground. It almost won too, against a car.