fudging the numbers (Read 191 times)

Seems many of us have our own quirks or obsessions about our training logs, so I'm wondering if anyone else has done something similar to the following.

I have a streak going of consecutive weeks with at least 30 miles.  Last week, I came up short, running 23 miles.  This week, my plan is to run 37 miles and "donate" 7 miles to last week.  The 14 day total will be the same and I'll be able to look myself in the mirror.

To some, things like this are probably meaningless.  To me, the streak has gotten me out the door on many days when I really didn't feel like it.  I know it won't last forever, but I'm not ready to let it go.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Joann Y

I wouldn't be able to do this. I would suck it up and choose a different goal like months in a row of 120 or something so that I was still accomplishing a goal and could still face myself.

I think it was George Costanza who said "It's not a lie...if you believe it."

I rationalize I'm still running 60 miles in two weeks and my body doesn't know that there was a 12 hour shift in getting to 30 miles.  I don't know, we all have our hangups.  My brother calls me a jogger because he says I'm too slow to be called a runner.  I know people this would infuriate.  Doesn't bother me a lick.

Maybe I have a future in politics.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I wouldn't be able to do this. I would suck it up and choose a different goal like months in a row of 120 or something so that I was still accomplishing a goal and could still face myself.

This^^

steph  

delicate flower

I have a streak going of consecutive weeks with at least 30 miles.  Last week, I came up short, running 23 miles.  This week, my plan is to run 37 miles and "donate" 7 miles to last week.  The 14 day total will be the same and I'll be able to look myself in the mirror.

That would put your streak of 30+ miles at one week.

You missed it, son.  Start new.  

<3

I'd say that it's time to change your goal from a 30MPW streak to a goal of 1560 miles per year (average mileage = 30MPW).

It is kind of like logging 2x 5 mile runs in one day as one 10 mile run or vise-versa. It doesn't really matter because your legs don't know what your log says but if you're bothering to keep a running log you might as well keep an accurate log.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'd say that it's time to change your goal from a 30MPW streak to a goal of 1560 miles per year (average mileage = 30MPW).

Or now consider it a streak of x/2 fortnights in a row at 60+ miles per fortnight.

Prince of Fatness

Not that I care at all but it dumbfounds me why anyone would not want their running log to reflect their actual running.

Not at it at all. 

Seems many of us have our own quirks or obsessions about our training logs, so I'm wondering if anyone else has done something similar to the following.

To some, things like this are probably meaningless.  To me, the streak has gotten me out the door on many days when I really didn't feel like it.  I know it won't last forever, but I'm not ready to let it go.

i love this...this is great. the fact that you put yourself out there like this is completely admired by me. you are already looking at ways to make this ok so there are ways to manipulate yourself in feeling ok about it. change the rules on which that streak applies...like make it about the monthly mileage or change your start day of the week to sunday or any other day till you get the result you want and your desire to hold onto this streak dies or changes to another number. this is classic ocd at it's finest and i love it. 

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

bhearn

Not that I care at all but it dumbfounds me why anyone would not want their running log to reflect their actual running.

FWIW, now and then I have situations where "logical weeks" are not the same as calendar weeks. You do your long run Monday instead of Sunday... maybe it's Boston, whatever... and your weekly mileage looks wonky, per the log.

Whatever. A "week" is whatever you want it to be. Lots of elites train on 9-day cycles.

i love this...this is great. the fact that you put yourself out there like this is completely admired by me. you are already looking at ways to make this ok so there are ways to manipulate yourself in feeling ok about it. change the rules on which that streak applies...like make it about the monthly mileage or change your start day of the week to sunday or any other day till you get the result you want and your desire to hold onto this streak dies or changes to another number. this is classic ocd at it's finest and i love it. 

Actually, I legit have OCD - been taking Luvox since 1997 and Wellbutrin since 2000.  The streak ending would bother me more than it should because seeing 30-30-30-30-30-30-30...has gotten me out the door.

Maybe this is a cry for help.  Shame me enough and I won't move those 7 miles back.  I'll bask in a 37 mile week and begin again.  I wonder what the consensus would be if I started the necessary 7 mile run during the "real" week, but didn't finish until 12:15 AM the next day.

I don't begrudge people their quirks.  Some people obsess over a Garmin saying 3.93 on a course they know is 4 miles.  Oddly, this doesn't bother me at all when it happens to me.  I upload and that's that.  But for some people, those little discrepancies are maddening.

Most important thing is I am fitter than I have been in years and I just love clicking off the miles.

Prince of Fatness

Most important thing is I am fitter than I have been in years and I just love clicking off the miles.

Then here's your answer. Just log the runs as is and move on. You're doing fine.

Not at it at all. 

Just train in two week microcycles

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

It's your log. It's your running. Any way it works for you is fine. Any obsessiveness that gets you out the door and running is fine. 30/30, 23/37, whatever makes it work for you. It only matters in that it matters to you and keeps you going.

Keep going.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Joann Y

It's your log. It's your running. Any way it works for you is fine. Any obsessiveness that gets you out the door and running is fine. 30/30, 23/37, whatever makes it work for you. It only matters in that it matters to you and keeps you going.

Keep going.

Yeah, this makes sense. Do what you need to do.