Cardiac Stress Test (Read 736 times)

jordanj

Does anyone out there have training advise to prepare for a Cardiac Stress test. The test is on a treadmill that increases in speed & incline every 3 min.'s. @ it's peak the grade is 20% @ 5.5 miles per hour. I hear it is very hard to try & complete all 21 min.'s
      Does anyone out there have training advise to prepare for a Cardiac Stress test. The test is on a treadmill that increases in speed & incline every 3 min.'s. @ it's peak the grade is 20% @ 5.5 miles per hour. I hear it is very hard to try & complete all 21 min.'s
      you're supposed to study for this Confused DAMN! MTA: When I did mine they didn't bother to complete the whole test since I was doing so well Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just be sure to bring actual running clothes. I did one once in Dockers and sandals. If you are allowed to do the test to exhaustion (the point where you have to stop), the time you lasted can be used to estimate your VO2max. http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/bruce.htm 21 minutes would be a VO2max of 73.5 Surprised

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

When I did mine they didn't bother to complete the whole test since I was doing so well Tongue
          Same for me. I was pissed because I wanted to get the VO2 max number.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jordanj

Thank you. Being that I do run as a hobby I would enjoy completing the full 21 min.'s since I was told very few can acheive this. just a personal goal of mine. Just not sure how to train for it. I know running hills is needed.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thank you. Being that I do run as a hobby I would enjoy completing the full 21 min.'s since I was told very few can acheive this. just a personal goal of mine. Just not sure how to train for it. I know running hills is needed.
              I'm not sure "enjoy" is the right word. A 73.5 VO2max is roughly equivalent to a 4:09 mile, 14:19 5k, and a 2:17 marathon. Of course, this is all just correlation data. So, good luck with that. Wink Run lots and lots of hills.

Depending on your fitness level, they will also cut it off when you hit their calculated max heart rate for you. I was doing fine, but I hit the MHR and they cut me off...even though when I run on the road, I can push my HR higher than the calculated number.... This isn't a competition...it is an evaluation to see if there is something going on in your heart when you exert yourself....some Dr. had enough of a concern that they ordered one for you???
                jordanj

Yes. I have become friendly with all the streets where I live that have hills.
                  jordanj

Depending on your fitness level, they will also cut it off when you hit their calculated max heart rate for you. I was doing fine, but I hit the MHR and they cut me off...even though when I run on the road, I can push my HR higher than the calculated number.... This isn't a competition...it is an evaluation to see if there is something going on in your heart when you exert yourself....some Dr. had enough of a concern that they ordered one for you???
                    I got the OK from my MD even though no symptoms of heart problems
                    jordanj

I have been told by the Cardiac Nurse that she will let me run as long as I want unless she see's a problem with my EKG
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Depending on your fitness level, they will also cut it off when you hit their calculated max heart rate for you.
                        Apparently, most doctors besides Trent never got the memo about how 220-Age is just an approximation and that a persons true max can vary greatly from this number.

Apparently, most doctors besides Trent never got the memo about how 220-Age is just an approximation and that a persons true max can vary greatly from this number.
                          ain't that the truth. I was dealing with stomach cramps yesterday and despite going at a 13 minute mile pace (very very slow for me) my hr jumped up to 186 Shocked

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

another article I read said that the 220-age is +/- 10. I was the last one of the day, the Dr. said everything looked good, so I think it was an excuse to quit so he could get ready to go home....don't really care...the important thing was the EKG showed nothing going on....

Marathon Maniac #3309

the important thing was the EKG showed nothing going on....
                              Big grin

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Go Daddy

the important thing was the EKG showed nothing going on....
                                Way to go Yogi.