Weird running injury/issue (Read 81 times)

Cam and corona

so I’ve never been much of a runner but have always ran when I had to. Never had too much of a problem in high School. Now that i’m Revisiting running for a police academy coming up in 2 weeks I’m having issues.

ive been running for about 3 months now every other day. Initialing I was doing 2 miles a day at about a 9/mi pace gave me shin splints pretty bad ( I was very out of shape)  so I backed off for until they healed and started doing every other day.

Which leads me me to the present issue,  every time I try to push the pace my big toe in my left foot will occasionally go numb. Which isn’t a huge deal. But then my ankle will get tight on the out side and then the muscle  directly above that in my shin also gets tight and starts going numb. This all starts at about a mile into my run.  If I stop running and rest for about 5 mins  feeling comes back and I can go another mile or so until the cycle repeats.  If I run a slow pace (10-12min/mi ) I don’t have any issues.

someone suggested mild compartment syndrome?

Ive tried changing shoes and laces with little improvement..

let me me know what you think.

paul2432

I think you should do most of your running at 10-12 MPM,  On your runs after you are warmed up you could try ~20 seconds faster every 2-3 minutes.

Do you plan to continue with running after the police academy or are you just trying to get through it?

Cam and corona

I don’t plan to keep it up afterwards.   Just trying to get my body up to speed for the academy then going back to cycling and mtb biking for fun.  I’ll try to ease into it next time. Upping the pace in intervals . I’m running again tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it goes!  Thanks for ge advice!