Ironman training (slow on the bike) (Read 66 times)

Yeah France

I am going to run an Ironman next year.  I have the swimming and running down; I can do the swim in under 1:10 and do marathon training runs in under 3:00.  I am horrible on the bike and I am sure that I have poor riding posture.  I have started riding recently and can now do 19 mph for an hour (long way from 112 miles).  Most of my rides are 13 miles to and from work.  I am going to take the same approach that I do with running: Long rides, tempo, intervals, hills, daily rides.  I would really like to be fit enough to ride 20+ mph.  What are some of the pitfalls of getting into cycling shape?

Next month I am going to try to do a 50 mile ride before running a marathon with my wife (3:20s).

Does anyone have any cycling training advice?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

#1, how well is your bike fit to you?  Riding long distances is a LOT better on a bike that fits you well.  Perhaps paying for a professional fitting might make the bike training a bit more pleasant.

Also, how's your core.  I'm as guilty as anyone of neglecting core strengthening, but I know that everyone on the bike is more comfortable and efficient when my abs and back are strong -- especially once you start really building up the mileage on the saddle.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ride a lot, and for long periods of time(6hrs+).

Doesn't have to be any more complicated that that Smile GL