Ironman training (slow on the bike) (Read 66 times)

Yeah France

I am going to run an Ironman next year.  I have the swimming and running down; I can do the swim in under 1:10 and do marathon training runs in under 3:00.  I am horrible on the bike and I am sure that I have poor riding posture.  I have started riding recently and can now do 19 mph for an hour (long way from 112 miles).  Most of my rides are 13 miles to and from work.  I am going to take the same approach that I do with running: Long rides, tempo, intervals, hills, daily rides.  I would really like to be fit enough to ride 20+ mph.  What are some of the pitfalls of getting into cycling shape?

Next month I am going to try to do a 50 mile ride before running a marathon with my wife (3:20s).

Does anyone have any cycling training advice?

Needs more cowbell!

#1, how well is your bike fit to you?  Riding long distances is a LOT better on a bike that fits you well.  Perhaps paying for a professional fitting might make the bike training a bit more pleasant.

Also, how's your core.  I'm as guilty as anyone of neglecting core strengthening, but I know that everyone on the bike is more comfortable and efficient when my abs and back are strong -- especially once you start really building up the mileage on the saddle.

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

Ride a lot, and for long periods of time(6hrs+).

Doesn't have to be any more complicated that that Smile GL