Standard Post Marathon Blues? (Read 659 times)

Who needs toenails?

I don't know what is wrong with me. I always figured when I had post marathon blues it was for a legitimate reason such as injury, unmet goals, etc. This time though I'm two days out from my race having met or exceeded every goal I set and... I'm not happy. Instead I feel incredibly confused and ungrateful. Sad I always figured that qualifying for Boston would be the biggest moment in my running life. I thought about it, dreamt about it, prayed about it. But even though it was something I was training for, I could never quite wrap my head around the idea that it could really happen for me. In my mind, it was this awesome goal but something only other people accomplished. Maybe I built it up too much for myself? Last Sunday I BQed with a time just over 3:37. Previous to the race it was a time I didn't ever even DREAM of, much less think could really happen. So why do I feel so underwhelmed? It's bizarre. I feel so incredibly ungrateful--like now I've reached this goal and suddenly it's not enough. And if it's not enough, what is? Do normal people meet their goals and then immediately decide they need a different goal and that the previous one wasn't good enough? I mean, what the heck is wrong with me!?!?!?! I haven't posted on the boards in ages but I don't really have a whole lot of people I can talk to about this. I don't dare say anything to my DH about my sudden feelings of ambivalence towards a goal that was, just a few short days ago, my sole motivation in life. Has anyone else ever felt this way? Is it just standard issue post race blues? Do I maybe just need a good butt kicking?
    mikeymike

It's pretty normal to have a big letdown after a major goal marathon like that--I've had the same feeling when I've accomplished a big goal and when I've missed. You've just put your mind and body throught a prolongued ordeal and you need to recover. You don't need a good butt kicking, you just need a little break. The good news is that a few days/weeks from now you'll be sitting in a meeting or doing something totally non-running related and you'll remember you just ran 3:37 for a marathon, and a big smile will come over your face and nobody else will know what you're grinning about. Just chill for a bit. Let it sink in and then when you feel like it, set your next goals.

Runners run

Bugs

Chased!! WOW, that's an awesome time. Woot! Woot! Well done. I am sorry to hear you have post race blues, had them myself. Usuallly hits about 1 week after the marathon when people eyes start glossing over when I talk about my race. Yes you need a kick in the butt because that is such an awesome time and you haven't emailed in ages! Seriously all that running, then rest does a number on our hormones and I would chalk it up to that. But you do need to recover now, and while we blocked the idea out that there is a life beyond running during training (how else could I run 22 miles tonight when I could be frazzled by my kids) it is good to put some balance back into the schedule. Time to do something relaxing for you like getting a massage or go shopping for non-running clothes. You should also start planning your next race. E.g. You could run Boston and then Fargo with me in May! Send me an email!

Bugs

It's not uncommon for me to feel this way after any race that I have prepared for....even a little 5K or 5M. So Im not at all surprised that somene would feel like this after achieving such an accomplishment. I believe that after you have had time to fully recover and start thinking about new goals, things will be different for you.... EXCELLENT JOB - I'll bet you are mentally tired and need to rest your mind as much as you need to rest your body (You know better then I that the Marathon is a mental challenge also). You'll come out of it when you start training for Boston. (BTW - Boston start line is 10 miles from my house, and I still havent qualified)....now isn't that depressing.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

xor

Nothing at all is wrong with you! You did a very cool thing... something you've built up in your head for a long time... and then you got there. Sometimes the goal itself can be anti-climactic . This can be reinforced by the fact that you probably didn't get a huge trophy nor fireworks nor broken tape at the end of your great run. People finished in front of you, others behind you. You put in the training and you had a great day... mostly because you put in the training. And you pushed for slightly over 3 1/2 hours and then that was that. Poof. Very common to say "is that it? what's next?" Tons can be next. Sign up for another race. Doesn't have to be a marathon. Or it can be. Maybe you'll want to go faster next time. Maybe you'd like to see if you can match that time. Maybe you want to run a better race (assuming you had something to improve over this one - I dunno). Maybe you just want to experience another race locale. Remind yourself of all those times in the past when sub 3:40 (I'm assuming 3:40 was your BQ time, but I could be wrong) seemed so unlikely. And you kicked its ass. Because you put in the training it may seem more, well, ordinary. But it ain't! You did great.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Nothing at all is wrong with you! You did a very cool thing... something you've built up in your head for a long time... and then you got there. Sometimes the goal itself can be anti-climactic . This can be reinforced by the fact that you probably didn't get a huge trophy nor fireworks nor broken tape at the end of your great run. People finished in front of you, others behind you. You put in the training and you had a great day... mostly because you put in the training. And you pushed for slightly over 3 1/2 hours and then that was that. Poof. Very common to say "is that it? what's next?" Tons can be next. Sign up for another race. Doesn't have to be a marathon. Or it can be. Maybe you'll want to go faster next time. Maybe you'd like to see if you can match that time. Maybe you want to run a better race (assuming you had something to improve over this one - I dunno). Maybe you just want to experience another race locale. Remind yourself of all those times in the past when sub 3:40 (I'm assuming 3:40 was your BQ time, but I could be wrong) seemed so unlikely. And you kicked its ass. Because you put in the training it may seem more, well, ordinary. But it ain't! You did great.
              I was thinking the same thing. I'm too new of a runner (and too slow) to have that type of goal, but know that when I've anticipated things in the past, and they've happened, I've felt like that as well. Also, now you have made this goal and need to find a new one (aka, "what's next", per above). SrLopez is right on target, I think.

TRUST THE PROCESS

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Like mikey and the others said - nothing wrong with you at all. It happens, and not just for running. When you work that hard at anything, and then the goal or the reason for working hard is gone, you fell like you're missing something. Time to let yourself bask in the glory of accomplishing the goal a little, now. When people ask what you did last weekend, or what you've been up to lately, you get to say "Oh, not much. Just qualifying to run the Boston Marathon!!" with a big grin on your face! Have you gone back out for a run yet? If BQ feels like it's not enough, maybe it's time to just get out and run - no watch, no Garmin, no set goal - just run to enjoy running. Try and get yourself back to the point where you can remember reason you started running in the first place, whatever that was, the feelings you had then, and why you enjoyed it.

Who needs toenails?

Thanks, everyone, for being so supportive. I fully expected a beat down for being so whiney. Wink Judging from the fact that I'm sitting here snuffling as I read your posts, my guess is perhaps it's just post race blues combined with a little hormonal imbalance. Maybe I'll just munch on leftover shot blocks until I feel better... Seriously though, I appreciate all of the input. It helps to know I'm not alone and that these are normal post race feelings. I've started planning my next races so I must be snapping out of it. I guess I need a new marathon goal... sub 3:30? That outta keep me busy for awhile! Oh, and BUGS!!!!! So good to see you!!! I wish I could join you for Fargo again in May but I doubt DH will come off the wallet to ship me to Boston AND Fargo. Can't say I blame him. I thought qualifying for Boston would be the painful part... turns out paying for for the trip is going to hurt way worse! I'll drop you an e-mail this weekend to catch up. I want to hear how you're doing!

Bugs

Oh, and BUGS!!!!! So good to see you!!! I wish I could join you for Fargo again in May but I doubt DH will come off the wallet to ship me to Boston AND Fargo. Can't say I blame him. I thought qualifying for Boston would be the painful part... turns out paying for for the trip is going to hurt way worse! I'll drop you an e-mail this weekend to catch up. I want to hear how you're doing!
                    I hear the "Boston" trip is worth every penny. I think it is money well spent. If you run Fargo you can see family. That's my excuse, so it's not a running expense, but just the cost of living away from extended family. Smile Maybe I should come run with you. I've been looking for an execuse to fly somewhere. My email is g . bugs @ hotmail . com (remove spam spaces)

Bugs