Family Reunion 5k (Read 374 times)

Well, summer is here, and it's time for family reunions.

This summer, my wife's extended family will be meeting in northern Michigan on a Saturday, and we're making the trip up from Texas (1100 miles) to see the cousins.  Since many are travelling from out of state, we are all staying for a couple of extra days.  So, a couple of months ago, we scouted out some local 5k races.

We found one!

We invited the extended family to join us in a 5k run the following morning, and over the past couple of months, I've been working on many couch to 5k programs with parents, kids, cousins, etc..  There are people in my family who haven't ever considered running / walking in a race, and the invitation to do so with the family was the encouragement they needed to sign up and start up a couch to 5k program.

So far, we have about 25 family members that have signed up, but I imagine that there may be as many as 40 when the race morning actually comes.

Last year, this race had about 75 participants in this small town at the top of the ring finger of Michigan.  So, this year, we anticipate representing a good portion of the starting line, which makes for a fun 5k run.  Maybe, we'll have 20% of the entrants???

Interesting notes:

- Father in Law - 65 years old and never ran a day in his life (he was a swimmer).  He joined in the couch to 5k program, and is prepared to do a 5k in about 33 minutes.

- Son - 17 years old - non runner - bought Vibrams 5 fingers (because I wear them on occasion), and on his first run in them, he did 3 miles and helt incredible pain in his calf.  (I told him not to do that).  Also, he leaves at 5pm in 100+ degree temperature without water, but that's another teenage mistake.

- Son - 8 years old - swimmer - waking up during summer break with my wife to train for this long distance run

- Cousin - +/- 40 - hasn't run in many years due to health issues but is now back at it hoping to break 30 minutes.

We may be the mis-fits on race morning up there in northern Michigan, but it'll be a great memory builder!
    Cheers,
    Brian

2014 Goals:

#1: Do what I can do. <DOING>

#2: 365 Hours training

Best Present Ever

that sounds like a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure I don't have 25 family members to reunite with, much less 25 who would run a 5k!  Did you send an email to the race director? they might want to take a photo or announce it or have a special prize or something. 

Yes, I've been in contact with her, and will update her with the actual family count as we get closer.  She did mention that she would want to take photos of the group.  Who know's, we may make it in the communities' weekly newspaper haha.

Yes, through Facebook, there's a family reunion "group", and we posted the information on that group with the sign up information.  Also, the race also has a Facebook page, and we invited all of the family to "attend" the event.  Surprisingly, there were many responders who said they're attending.

I believe that we'll have over 50% participation from the family. 

Some may be pushing baby strollers.

Some may be smoking cigarettes before, during, and after their "run".

Some may be wearing some very interesting fashion items.

Some may be carb loading the night before.

(Some may be doing all of the above).

Who knows?!

But, it'll be fun.

Brian

2014 Goals:

#1: Do what I can do. <DOING>

#2: 365 Hours training

It'll be a great time Brian.

I wish I was at home to post the pictures from one we did last year.

We organize "Very Schmitty Weekends" thru out the year. Last year one of these included my small home town 5k. My Dad was still alive and everyone was wearing "Faith, Hope and Love Brain Cancer T-shirts". Those that didn't run spectated will ringing real cow bells, not those dinky toy ones.

We cleaned up. Outside of overall male and  female we took home 5 AG finishes.

My sisters and I run races together regularly...great fun with family. Especially with those new to the experience.

Have a great time !

www.hplg.net  The Human Powered League - Solo Cup Series - Trail Building