Change from Nocturnal (Read 204 times)

cbennett926

Trust Me, Im an Engineer

Hello all,

I have a problemish, I always feel like running and run the best at night, however it's not a time when it is safe to run (12:00 - 3:00 AM). I always run best at this time too, do you know of anyway I can change my mindset to want to run earlier at a more reasonable hour? This became habit my freshman year of college while training for my marathon and the summer weather in Oklahoma is best between those hours and I happened to be up and still be able to sleep late enough to get adequate sleep, neither of which is true now and my running is suffering because of such.

Not all those who wander are lost - JRR Tolkien

xor

Others will be able to offer up specific helpful advice (I hope)... I'm here to offer up my personal experience.

I started running (the first time) when I was in grad school.  Just like you... night owl.  I typically ran at, like 2-4a.  I also went grocery shopping then, which was very very strange but I digress.  Fast forward... the older I got, my brain/body started saying es no bueno to staying up late.  Typical corporate worklife played a factor, but really I think it just happened because I got older.  And I became a morning person.  Now I'm my freshest at typical morning running times, with my second choice being typical evening times.  I only run at 2-4a if it is a race and/or I'm pacing someone in a race.  Otherwise, zzzzzz.  So time is the great equalizer.