Two pairs of socks (Read 922 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I was trying out the wear a pair of socks throw a lunch baggie on your foot and then another sock on top of that to keep water out for a couple of runs. Well the rain stopped and then I decided to do a long run with two pairs of socks on. I think it might of helped give me more cushion. Anyone else ever run with two pairs of socks? Any reason not to?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Lazy idiot

My shoes were fit for one sock layer. That's what feels comfortable to me. also, it would likely be too hot for my feet.

Tick tock

The "Wright sock" which alot of runners swear by is basically two socks of different material sewn together. I ran 10 k training run with no socks once last November, no problem whatsoever. Thought I'd try it more often when the weather warms. Anybody know of problems I may encouter?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Imminent Catastrophe

Wrightsocks are great. Two-layered, so you don't need two socks, and they're very thin (even with two layers). They have a few different versions. They won't help with cushioning (like I said, they're thin) but will prevent blisters. If you're looking for cushioning, get a good orthotic or insert, it will do a lot better job with cushioning than socks and won't add a lot of weight. I would never run with a baggie on the foot, your foot sweats and will end up soaking wet anyway.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Smartwool makes 'thin' and 'cushioned' socks. The cushioned ones might help you. Were you wearing running specific socks, or black knee-highs?

left-right-left-right-repeat

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

They were both nike running socks. I have been thinking about the mitten type socks for your feet. Injinji I think is the name. Anyone ever try those?
                2011 Goals:
                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think it might of helped give me more cushion. Anyone else ever run with two pairs of socks? Any reason not to?
                More importantly, do you like monkeys?
                  Thorlo makes socks with the idea of cushioning the bottom of your feet. I believe they have three "Protection levels". The bottom of the socks are thick the rest is very thin. Expensive though, up to $24 a pair in Canada. So I guess about $5 a pair in the U S Big grin. However I bought about 10 pair for $2.99 a pair on some sort of clearout. I wonder if they went bankrupt?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Thorlo makes socks with the idea of cushioning the bottom of your feet. I believe they have three "Protection levels". The bottom of the socks are thick the rest is very thin. Expensive though, up to $24 a pair in Canada. So I guess about $5 a pair in the U S Big grin. However I bought about 10 pair for $2.99 a pair on some sort of clearout. I wonder if they went bankrupt?
                    I always prefer the thicker socks. I've been wearing Zulu's for months now and I really like them. I tried the thinner socks and I just don't care for them. Hot weather or cold, I like the more cushioned socks. They aren't expensive, $12 for three pairs.

Michelle

Blisters

I always wear two pairs of socks. Usually a really thin one (Target sells some coolmax ones cheap in the ladie's section - they'll fit men, too) with a pair of single layer Wright socks over them. It prevents friction which prevents blisters. Foot shifts against one sock which shifts against another sock which shifts against your shoe. Much less friction in one place. I see people run in shoes with no socks and I dont know how they do it. I also have a pair of the double layer Wright socks. Those are nice, too, but sometimes I get folds in them which become uncomfortable. That doesnt seem to happen when I put on two separate layers.