Help explain Pfitz plan (Read 649 times)

irunsf85

I signed up for my second marathon, which will be April 7th, 2013 in San Luis Obispo, CA.  For my first marathon, I didn't really follow a true plan.  I used Higdon Novice 1 roughly but added a ton of miles and peaked at 65mpw.  No speedwork, just lots of miles.. This time, I'd like to use Pfitz 18/55, which means I should have started training this week. 

This is the plan specifically, with dates calculated out for me: http://www.derekleewo.com/djapps/trainingPlans/viewPlan/5/generateSchedule/?displayStartDay=1&planEndDate=04%2F07%2F2013&unitsType=Miles

I'm still really confused about the speed work, such as 7 Mi w/ 10x100m.  Can someone please help explain how to do those intervals?

Thanks!!!

I'm hoping this will lead to a much more successful  marathon than my first one.

What I did, for a 7 mi w/ 10x100m, was 3 miles easy, 10 x (100m fast, 200m easy), 2 miles easy.

If you have the book, it explains it but there is a lot in there so just keep rereading the particular bit that explains the next day's session, rather than trying to keep it all in your head at once.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

B-Plus

I think he wants you to do strides, but I don't ever recall having to do 10 of them. Maybe that is from the 1st Edition. I normally do the strides towards the end if the run. If you need an explanation in how to do strides, I'm sure someone else can explain it way better than I can. In any event, I recommend purchasing and reading the book if you haven't already, as it explains all the different types of workouts and the reasons behind doing them.
        Julia1971

I think he wants you to do strides, but I don't ever recall having to do 10 of them. Maybe that is from the 1st Edition. I normally do the strides towards the end if the run. If you need an explanation in how to do strides, I'm sure someone else can explain it way better than I can. In any event, I recommend purchasing and reading the book if you haven't already, as it explains all the different types of workouts and the reasons behind doing them.

+1.  Run 7 miles easy and then do striders for about 100m, rest a bit, and then repeat 9 more times.  

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Pretty sure the book explains about the strides.  If you don't have the book I would strongly suggest getting it and reading it.  There is a lot of teaching in the written pages that grabbing a plan online that just list the miles won't give you.

The 10X100m are strides and not exactly intervals or speed work.  Their purpose is to help teach running economy  You are not spending much time at VO2max with the 100m interval to be anything close to effective.  200m intervals are even pushing it to be effective.

paulski66

miscreant

Pretty sure the book explains about the strides.  If you don't have the book I would strongly suggest getting it and reading it.  There is a lot of teaching in the written pages that grabbing a plan online that just list the miles won't give you.

The 10X100m are strides and not exactly intervals or speed work.  Their purpose is to help teach running economy  You are not spending much time at VO2max with the 100m interval to be anything close to effective.  200m intervals are even pushing it to be effective.

+1

The Pfitz book is one of the best books about running out there, and one of the few I read cover-to-cover. Read the book. Well worth the money.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

mikeymike

Strides don't have to be an exact distance. You can do them on a flat-ish stretch of roads and just do a series of 20 seconds "fast" then jog for 45 seconds or a minute--as long as it takes to fully recover your breathing. That's how I do them 90% of the time.

These are not all out sprints, but probably faster than mile race pace. The focus is form and turnover, you shouldn't be straining. Think "fast is easy."

Do them year round, even when you're in recovery our just base building mode. They are money.

Runners run

I have read the Pfitz book (2nd edition). I am following the 1st edition 55/24 plan, on week 5.

According to the book, you accelerate up to full speed over the first 70m, then float the last 30m. As other mentioned, it is for running economy and a better form. Pfitz emphasizes to relax your body, pay attention to your shoulders, fists and neck, feel your strides, complete hip extension. Jog or walk 100m to 200m between repetitions. I usually easy run 100-200m until I feel fully recovered to do the next one. In 7 miles run, I run easy for the first 4 miles to get the body fully warmed up and do the 10 x 100m in the next 2 miles, then the last mile easy run.

The book is great. I have learned a lot.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

irunsf85

Hi guys.

Thanks for all of your responses.  That was incredibly helpful.  I have a much better idea on what I need to do for those runs.