favorite race food (Read 96 times)

mucksister

I'm working with a 100-mile race on aid station food -- is there a favorite aid station food that you've had in the past that you wish you saw in aid stations more often?

dhuffman63

Trails

If it's warm weather...ice cold watermelon...if it's cold weather...ramen.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've done 1 full marathon and I am forever grateful for the volunteer who had Munchkins at miles 10 and 16.

kilkee

runktrun

Peanut M&Ms

Boiled salted potatoes

Cold orange slices (tho a lot of trash/waste with the peels)

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

dumrunner

After mile 30:

Cheese quesadillas with bacon bits

Avocado wraps

Chicken broth

Sushi! (mile 80ish at Cascade Crest, hit the spot)

zebano

Chicken noodle soup broth!!!

Cantaloupe

Ginger Ale

Hamms

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

jeffdonahue

When I did my Ironman (a long time ago) chicken broth was a savior.

Aside from that, on a lot of races where I find myself dragging mentally, I have found that a bit of chocolate could help immensely.

Chicken noodle soup broth!!!

Half Crazy K 2.0

After mile 30:

Cheese quesadillas with bacon bits

Avocado wraps

Chicken broth

Sushi! (mile 80ish at Cascade Crest, hit the spot)

I love sushi, but not sure I could do in race sushi. Was it raw or cooked (like a CA roll)?

I love sushi, but not sure I could do in race sushi. Was it raw or cooked (like a CA roll)?

At the Newport (Oregon) Marathon, they have a raw oyster station. It’s an out & back course so you pass it twice—in case you weren’t sure the first time, there’s an opportunity to change your mind. I was very sure both times, no thank you.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

PBR in St Louis (screw you, AB/InBev!!). Pickle juice during a hot cross-Michigan ride was amazing, too.

As far as solid food goes, it’s all good.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Pickle juice during a hot cross-Michigan ride was amazing, too.

Also famously offered at your Grand Rapids Marathon! I did not partake.

Dave

dumrunner

It was California rolls, so all veggies. But the salty taste of the seaweed wrapping was what hit the spot, along with the rice. I've had rice balls wrapped in seaweed in other 100s that did the job too.

GU - SALTED CARAMEL

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also famously offered at your Grand Rapids Marathon! I did not partake.

Damn, that was not offered when I ran it in ‘09, but the New Holland at the finish is sure welcome!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Damn, that was not offered when I ran it in ‘09, but the New Holland at the finish is sure welcome!

I don't remember that, but it was my first marathon (2012); I was pretty wrecked and not really in a beer-drinking mood. I do remember Culver's frozen custard at the finish though!

Dave