Eating my face off... (Read 939 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

With my mileage increasing I'm hungry all the time!!! And so I feel like I am eating ALL the time!!! I'm eating about 6 times a day. Truely I'm eating my face off! Not that I really have a problem with this... however, I am 34 days away from my wedding. 2 weekends ago I exchanged my dress for the next size down. yes I lost a size over the last 4 months. But there is not really room in my dress now for me to eat like it's my job!!! Does anyone have any suggestions for foods I can nibble on that will help me feel full???? Example of a typical day: Breakfast: oatmeal with flax seed, orange juice Mid-Morning Snack: banana Lunch 1: Turkey sandwich (whole wheat, cheese, and a hint of mayo), nature valley peanut butter things (2), grapes Lunch 2: Piece of fruit (apple or orange), granola bar (ohhh or chocolate teddy grams) Mid-afternoon snack: bagel with cream cheese Dinner: chicken, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli Sometimes there is even an after dinner snack (if dinner wasn't that satifying) usually chocolate pudding. I also drink water all during the day. And I generally am eating serving sizes of things not veggies and fruits. So thanks for any suggestions on how to eat and have energy, but not have to be squeezed into my wedding dress. Currently it can be zipped without me having to suck in. I would like it to stay that way!
    obiebyke

I don't know what others think, but to me, that doesn't sound like that much. You're eating frequently, but you're eating healthily and not in big quantities. It's actually HEALTHIER for you to eat small meals more frequently.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I agree, overall good nutrition but not enough food! I'd add some protein to that banana in the morning (cottage cheese or some yogurt or string cheese) and also swap the afternoon granola bars and bagel for a protein source. Also more veggies -- maybe add a side salad or some steamed veggies to lunch. This is just my opinion but I gave up juice a long time ago. You can get so many more nutrients eating the actual fruit and oranges are pretty filling. Do you like grapefruit? I've been on a grapefruit kick lately and they are pretty tasty right now. Good luck on your wedding!! Cool
        ---- Cynthia
        finney

Resident pinniped

Me too...I really think you could stand to eat more. You're not being satisfied by what you're eating. If you ate meals that were of better quality, you'd probably eat less and overall, you might consume less calories in a day. The one thing I can see you need right now is WAY WAY more protein. You're eating next to none and that's why you're hungry all the time. All you're eating is granola (and other carbs) and fruit, essentially. Cut out the 4 granola bars a day, eat only one if you really like it, and substitute yogurt or cottage cheese. Getting some protein into your breakfast will help ward off low blood sugar and the pre-lunch snacking you do. Try some scrambled egg whites or low fat sausage in addition to the oatmeal. The pudding is good, as long as it's low fat. If you want sweets and treats, try low fat ice cream and you know what? The occasional candy bar isn't going to kill you either. You gain, lose, or maintain weight over time, not on one splurge one day out of the week. And one more thing, you should never leave the table hungry. You mention sometimes that your dinners aren't satisfying and that's a HUGE clue that you're 1) not eating enough and 2) not eating high enough quality foods. Pack on the protein and you should see you're eating less often while still maintaining or losing weight. Right now, quite frankly, you're starving yourself. Running burns 100 calories per mile, so a 5 mile run cancels out your entire breakfast and lunch.
          UpNorth

Well, I agree that more calories are in order, but come on people. She is a month away from her wedding and is afraid of growing out of her dress. So, after the wedding follow all of the good advice above. However for now, fibrous vegetables will help keep you satisfied longer with little calories. Or if you don't mind more calories, protein and healthy fats will stave off hunger, calorie for calorie, much better than processed carb sources, BTW the following are processed carb sources: - oatmeal: if it is instant. - orange juice: eat a whole orange and get the fiber - whole wheat: put the turkey+cheese on a salad would be a much better choice - nature valley peanut butter things: a lot of sugar in these, they are borderline junk food. - granola bar (ohhh or chocolate teddy grams): crap! Replace it with a hard boiled egg or two (or some cheese) and veggies - bagel: more processed carbs So, even without increasing your calories there is a lot of work you can do to switch things out and stave off hunger.
              One word: Beans They might not be the most appealing thing but if you chug 16oz to 24oz down and you are still hungry see your doctor Wink. Beans and Cabbage-ish veggies help me fill up. Other recommendations... Drink LOTS of water

Vim

I find meals way more satisfying when I have small amounts of a lot of things...so for lunch instead of a whole sandwich I like to pack a half sandwich, an orange or apple, and two small sides. Two of my favorite very satisfying sides lately are apple, walnut, and yogurt salad(just mix the ingredients in the name plus a pinch of cinnamon, I use plain yogurt); and black bean, corn, and tomato salad(again, just whats in the name plus 2 T lemon juice, 1T olive oil, and a dill or parsely to taste). I agree...cut out those granola bars and such, sugary pre-packaged food always makes me feel more hungry instead of less hungry! GL with your wedding!
                Heroes never die. They just reload.
                obiebyke

Nuts are also really good to keep around, with some raisins or other dried fruit if you have a sweet tooth. Good protein, good fiber. And lean, lower-sodium, natural turkey or beef jerky is good too. Keeps, and is good protein. I also often get some baked tofu to toss on salads as a protein source.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

jdmcgregor

All business

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Oh Mighty Wing

Thank you for all the good advice!! I will take it up as soon as I get back from my honeymoon. Since it sounds like many of you are saying i need to eat more it will have to wait. And I will definitely look at fixing some of my pitfalls. Thanks!!

Bugs

I snack on cabbage soup or green beans mixed with tomatoes. Try to cut sugar for a couple of days. The carbs are making you hungry, trying to swich some of them out for vegetables and eat more protein.

Bugs

finney

Resident pinniped

You don't have to wait until after your wedding, actually. You can start now. For example, swapping out your 100 calorie granola bar which essentially has nothing in it for a 90 calorie yogurt with more protein. Or eat your oatmeal with a whole orange and add a glass of skim or 1% milk for a negligable calorie increase. I dunno...another month just seems like a long time to feel hungry when you really wouldn't have to.
                          Gig

I'm gonna side with UpNorth and Modal. It's your wedding day, so it's unreasonable to ask you to eat more. Water fills me up faster than anything. After I quit smoking and gained about 25 pounds--most of it between meals--I learned to drink water instead of snacking. Also, beans are very good at filling you up, but I don't recommend them on the big day. Shy

Oh Mighty Wing

I do drink lots of water. And yes I do eat cottage cheese, generally as my afternoon snack, but forgot to buy some this week. I also eat beans. I really just gave you a 1 day sample. I will definitely work on making better food choices when I go to the market this week.

SMART Approach

I don't necessarily think you are eating too much because you are not a high mileage runner - not even 20 miles per week. I a bit surprised you are so hungry on this mileage. I do think the issue is your carb consumption. Your blood sugar swings and you grave more food especially carbs. Get more protein (even whey protein shakes-snack if necessary) with each meal and with snacks. This should cut your cravings and appetite. You are not running enough to have to have so many carbs in your diet. Substitute the snacks from carbs to more protein or just eat a 100 calorie protein shake which will also crank up the metabolism much more than the carb snack.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com