rvelich - marathon quest (Read 431 times)

I couldn't find a place on this forum to have a private message conversation so I started a thread in public. In review of your log so far, you're on track but have work to do. It'll be exciting to watch your progress. I may have to visit my brother this spring and race with you. Keep me posted as to your spring race plans. Also, the goal marathon?? I'm glad you learned in training that the fruity bagels aren't good pre-race nutrition. Regarding the Jelly Belly's ... have you tried their "Sport Beans". Basically the same thing but in studying the label, more of the carbs are complex and not just sugar carbs. I bought a ton of them in 2006 while I was cycling to recover from a herniated disc in my back.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Another Passion

Thanks, Ray. That would be awesome if you happened to visit your brother and be up for the race in April. I don't have any other race plans, as yet, for spring, but was intending on doing at least one 10k, if not more for speed-type work as my training plan doesn't incorporate (nor am I interested in) any speed work. The Jelly Belly's I had were the sport beans. I used a gu on my long run yesterday (mainly to get accustomed to them and be used to using them when I run the race, not out of necessity on the relative short long run) and think I am going to be sticking with them in long run training and for the marathon. Thanks for the feedback, Ray. I appreciate your time in looking things over for me.

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Thanks for the feedback, Ray. I appreciate your time in looking things over for me.
        Glad to do it. Not that I'm an expert by any means but I have been "down the road" a few times. I've recently been using the Accelerade brand of gel on my long runs due to it's 25% protien content. It seems to be working very well. Most marathons have aid stations at 2-2.5 miles so that's how I train. On long runs, I drink (and walk 25-30 steps) every 2.5 miles and at each 5 mile interval, I take a gel pack. Train the way you plan to race. Since water is the product you can usually count on the be there, any other suppl,iments need to be carried with you.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.