Increasing cadence (Read 120 times)

ud32

Quick backstory. Over past 3 years I've encountered a lower leg injury - calf, plantar fascitis, achilles/outer heel pain. Last one has improved but still lingered for a year. Latest treatment was with a PT who specializes in running - only treats runners - and was most helpful. part of the treatment involved a gait analysis with high-tech video equipment on a treadmill. It showed my cadences was below average at 146 steps per minute. I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs and test was done on treadmill set at 10 minute pace. Also showed I needed to improve "knee drive".

PT suggested a metronome app for my phone and set goal of 156 Steps per minute along with some other at home drills. Eventually targeting 160 or even 165 SPM. That was 2 months ago. Using an Apple Watch on my runs SPM cadence shows 149-151 steps per minute, but my pace is much quicker. It feels like I need to run faster to increase cadence. Is this normal?

If anyone has links to any articles/videos about improving cadence/SPM please share. Also, is SPM influenced by pace? Can I do an easy relaxed run while still hitting SPM targets?

Thanks

an amazing likeness

Shorten your stride. Get your foot plant directly under your hip and get your foot off the ground quickly. Run quiet.

This may sound glib, but that's not my intent...

As a personal anecdote, most of my workouts have SPM of about 180-187 (as reported by Garmin Connect...no idea on accuracy) and the variable behind various paces in the workouts is stride length.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

milktrucks advice to run quiet is good. On some of your normal easy runs try to be smooth and silent--so your foot strike makes no sound. It's hard to run silent with bad form. You'll probably see a faster cadence just from doing that and over time it will start to feel natural.

You can also improve knee drive by doing strides, drills (like a skips and b skips), and short, fast hill charges.

Most people will have a slightly faster cadence as they increase speed but 146-151 still seems really slow and suggests form issues. Doing the above should gradually increase your easy run cadence as well as your cadence at all speeds.

Runners run

zebano

This was implied but just in case it's not clear

Speed = Stride Length * Cadence

That's it, so to keep the same speed and increase cadence you need to decrease stride length and take very short steps. I've read a few articles but none come to mind, the last time I heard about it was this strengthrunning podcast. To summarize what was said:

• More steps = lower impact forces
          • Runners running below 170 spm should consider increasing cadence, especially if they are or regularly get injured.
          • spm will vary with pace/effort but 170 is a good target. 
          • Taller runners will generally have slightly lower spm (and higher stride length), shorter runners the opposite
          • If you need to alter your cadence, target a 5-10% increase at one time and do that for a month or so until it feels natural. 

FWIW, I'm 5'9" and most of my easy runs have a cadence of 165,my workouts and races have a 175-200 cadence (and stuff shorter than the mile is even higher). Good luck.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Mr MattM

Good advice above.  I'll only add that if you 'lean in' at all during your run (which is something I've seen a lot) then you are throwing of  your center of gravity.  You will have to extend you footfall out in front of you instead of directly underneath.  Make sure when focusing on good form that you include your shoulders and your head in the analysis.  Keep your head up and your shoulders squared and back.  That helps get the front of your hips up and out so you can hit your landing foot directly under your center of gravity.

I've seen so many runners with their heads tilted forward... staring at the ground in front of them.

Anyway, best of luck!

be curious; not judgmental

CalBears

Good advice above.  I'll only add that if you 'lean in' at all during your run (which is something I've seen a lot) then you are throwing of  your center of gravity.  You will have to extend you footfall out in front of you instead of directly underneath.  Make sure when focusing on good form that you include your shoulders and your head in the analysis.  Keep your head up and your shoulders squared and back.  That helps get the front of your hips up and out so you can hit your landing foot directly under your center of gravity.

I've seen so many runners with their heads tilted forward... staring at the ground in front of them.

Anyway, best of luck!

Mr.MattM !!! You are alive! Why don't you come to your second home of "Forums > Racing2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread" and share again your experience, your training and your stories. And maybe meet some of your old virtual friends from the past Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Christirei

i had some injury issues and also worked with a great Runners PT. also did the gait analysis. also was told i needed to increase my cadence. I got a free metronome app on my phone and ran with it for months. i found it was actually easier to set it to ambiously (180) and then back off until i found where i was comfortable (about 174-175) after i listened to it for months, i started running without it, and my garmin watch also gives me a cadence in that 170 range pretty consistently. good luck!

Mr MattM

Hey CalBears!  I see some familiar names... good to see so many old running friends still at it!

But c'mon, man... no one wants to hear my old running stories... LOL...

Mr.MattM !!! You are alive! Why don't you come to your second home of "Forums > Racing > 2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread" and share again your experience, your training and your stories. And maybe meet some of your old virtual friends from the past Smile

be curious; not judgmental

CalBears

Hey CalBears!  I see some familiar names... good to see so many old running friends still at it!

But c'mon, man... no one wants to hear my old running stories... LOL...

You are so wrong Mr MattM!  We are so much in need of good stories - seems like a lost art 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

ud32

All - I really appreciate the advice. Definitely giving me tips to work into my runs. Will keep at it and see if there is any improvement.  Thank you all.

Stoorunner

If I may add to this, in providing my recent experience as a novice runner.

I'm training for a half marathon which is vastly more volume than I've ever done previously. Given the commitment I've been reading up on running form amongst other things and discovered (looking at the soles of my runners) that I underpronate significantly as a result of very high arches, (as proven on the wet footprint test!)

The training is going well but I've been battling small niggles all through my program in feet, knees, ankles and hips and recently committed to increasing my running cadence to see if this would improve matters, related to the high impact of my stiff and underpronating feet and exacerbated by poor form and low cadence.

My 'normal' average cadence on easy runs (around 6min/km) has been 153-157 fairly consistently throughout the program. My last 2 runs have been 173spm (yesterday), and today for the longest run I have ever done in my life at 90 minutes of running, an average of 177spm. I can report zero niggles or pains running at this increased cadence, and despite feeling a bit weird to start with ive been able to get the leg turnover up sufficiently to maintain my usual training paces.

It's been quite a revelation! Definitely needs quite a bit of mental prompting to maintain, but also clearly worthwhile!

Marky_Mark_17

I started running around 6 years ago.  My cadence then was typically around 180spm, a bit quicker for workouts / efforts.

Somehow it's progressively crept up to the point where it's now around 190spm for easier runs, and ~200spm for harder workouts.

I have no idea why / how this has happened other than maybe it's just a function of doing a ton of mileage over time and the legs getting trained to turn over a bit quicker.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"