Running in "minimalist" shoes (Read 512 times)

No more marathons

My shoe of choice is Brooks green silence.  It has a heel drop of 8mm, which is less than Brooks adrenaline gts (12.3mm) which I used to run in.  I didn't pick this shoe because of that, but because of the lightness, and that it still gives me 400 or so miles of use.  I tried a pair of pure connect (4mm) but only got about 200 miles before they were shot.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Mmmmm...beer

Read the book and liked it, but I wasn't running 5 years ago, or even 1 year ago, so I don't have much of a basis for comparison.  But I have found that I like neutral shoes with less drop.  Currently running in Kinvaras and Cortanas, and looking to get some lighter shoes for racing.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

jfa

I would have checked all of the buttons ,if allowed.  I have been running in Free's for at least 4 years. Nothing else. Injury free and only $85 per pair. And oh yea, they don't wear out.

kcam

I believe in changing up shoes regularly.  I think that running in a specific shoe for a long period of time will cause weaknesses in whatever areas are supported.  To me, it's better to switch up shoes regularly.  That said, I race in the lightest shoe I can get away with.  Currently, that's the Mizuno Universe at 3.8oz.

The Wave Universe is my shoe of choice for any road or track race under 10K.  Past that I'm still using an old pair of ASICS Gel Tarthers, really need to find something else as that pair has over 500 race miles on them.  I think NB has a new shoe called the 5000 that weighs even less than the Mizuno Wave Universe (3.2 ounces for the 5000).  Cost is a factor for me as I recall buying my Universe shoes for about $50.  I'll wait for those 5000's to go on sale in a year or so to try them.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Vibrams.  I *really* like having no blisters, no black toenails, and no knee pain.  I believe shoes that try to do too much do more harm than good.

I am The Tortoise

I've only been running again for a year after 30 years of not running. I answered "A" since the type of shoes I currently wear are not much different from 5 years ago. Neutral shoes with a big drop and lots of sole padding. I have Vomero 6, NB 1080V2 and Glycerin 8. My next pair will have less drop but still well padded, considering the Sir Isaac. I lost 30 pounds last year and currently weigh 220. Determined to get under 180 before I even consider an all out minimalist like the Merrell or Minimus.

CMJHawk86

I have tried lots of minimalist models, so many they are ridiculously specialized for me at this point. Saucony Kinvaras are my favorites for any fast workouts on the road. On easier days, the Mirage are perfect. And Saucony Hattoris turn out to be a nice racing flat for short distances such as 5k. Not that I am totally a Saucony guy either. Nike Free is my TM shoe of choice, no matter the type of workout. And I've now done several races in the Skechers GoRun, including a 3:20 Chicago Marathon last fall.

Hard to believe I once trained in clunky Nike Air Max 180s.

Right on Hereford...

I don't know what "more minimalist" would mean really. Is that like a little pregnant?

It means "less shoe." And no.

xhristopher

I've marked my calendar to come back and answer this poll in November 2014.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My first pair were Adrenaline 10's, and after another pair or  two along those lines, I started trying to go to barefoot, then Vibrams.  Got a case of plantar fasciitis - maybe TMTS, maybe not, but I chickened out and went back to more traditional shoes, with the lowest drop I could stand.  Liked the Flows for awhile, but they started hurting the lateral side of my foot for some reason.  Also bought - and still like - a pair of Green Silences.  Meanwhile, I had picked up a very cheap ($22) pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 13's for "walkin' around shoes," and while I agreed with the general consensus that the area around the achilles tendon sucks, I LOVED how they felt underfoot, huge drop and all.

So, I'm now back to where I started with a pair of Wave Rider 16's that I love (well, "where I started" with the exception of neutral versus stability).  All this happened within a span of five years, and that's the riveting story of why I picked the first one.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

RunningNut

Traded in my Asics (2160) for Saucony Kinvara's last year. Changed up some things about my form and have been running relatively pain/injury free ever since.

RunningBrief - Free weekly email digest by runners for runners

Black-Toe-Nailed

NB MT10. I'm only running sfor 2.5 years.

I started with Nike Pegasus 28+ but began using neutral and lightweight shoes right from the beginning.

I use the MT10 since a year ago and I also do some barefoot and huarache running

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                          then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                          I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

I believe in changing up shoes regularly.  I think that running in a specific shoe for a long period of time will cause weaknesses in whatever areas are supported.  To me, it's better to switch up shoes regularly.  That said, I race in the lightest shoe I can get away with.  Currently, that's the Mizuno Universe at 3.8oz.

This.

I do bulk mileage in lightweight trainers because experience has taught me that at the volume I typically run I will impede muscle recovery if I go any lighter.  But I do workouts...even long ones up to HM...in flats, 1-2X per week.  Stuff doesn't get weak that way.

I remember years ago when the only time I put on flats was to race....a HM would make me sore as heck, especially my calves.  Since I started using flats regularly in workouts a dozen years ago, no issues.

Neither "minimalist" shoes nor unnecessarily bulky trainers are a cure-all that will somehow magically improve your running.  I do wear minimalist shoes to work as they were a cure and now preventative for nasty PF.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Roadrunner's Apprentice

I started out with neutral shoes with a 12mm drop when I was going through C25K and learning.  Last fall I got my current shoes (Saucony Kinvaras) which have a 4mm drop.  I found right away it helped improve my form - heel striking hurt!  The old 12mm drop shoes have a lot of wear on the heel, but the wear on my current (4mm drop) shoes are all at the mid to forefoot, and the heels look new.

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Born to Run is one of the best Springsteen songs.  But for running, give me shoes, preferably ones that fit well, no blisters, no aches and no pains.  Currently that is ASCICS Cumulus 13s but they screwed up the 14s so I'll be in the market for different shoes in a couple of months.

You people have issues