Running in "minimalist" shoes (Read 512 times)

Half Fanatic #846

I started out eight years ago with heavier cushioned shoes like Air Pegasus and Mizunos - then went to Nike Free 5.0 and 3.0 - then to Saucony Kilkenny flats, Hattoris and Brooks Green Silence.  I Wear minimalist shoes at work every day to help prevent PF.  I'm now in Skecher's GoBionic (zero heel drop) about half the time and completely barefooted the rest.  I'm more of a "hard-nosed" minimalist guy because I believe my feet already have proper arches, heels just the right height, support, "motion control", etc. (other than a small amount of cushioning to protect my soles), but there's definitely a place for shoes of various kinds to meet the different needs of individuals. "If it aint broke...", but in my case, I had to fix it (PF, shin splints, compartment syndrome).

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Sharz96

In the past five years I shifted from a moderate stability to mild stability when wear patterns demonstrated that light stability is enough now.  (ex: Saucony Omni to Saucony Guide.) But that’s the only change.  I’ve stayed in 8-12mm heel to toe drop.  Give me the cushion!  I will vary my shoes by brand and style, and maybe over time try a 4mm, but it’s really not an issue to me.  I don’t heel-strike and never have.  Running around barefoot as a kid for weeks on end (except for church) assured that I never would.

I've been running off an on for 30 years and mostly wore heavy trainers.....normally New Balance but a few others too......

After reading Born to Run and talking to the two Elite runners that I know (both mostly wear racing flats for all runs) I decided to experiment around.   I am now finding the more minimal I go the more I like it.   I don't expect to ever be a barefoot runner but I do expect to run some barefoot miles now - as the weather gets better I have a big grass field that I can run around and it'll probably be about a 1/2 mile circle that I plan to run barefooted a time or two per week (and get up to 2 or 3 miles per run after i start doing it)..    The rest of my runs will be in minimal shoes with my longer runs in lightweight trainers.

I now run about half and half in minimals and NB 1064's.....and have decided that when the NB's wear out I'll replace them with a more lighter weigh neutral shoe trainer (probably Adidas).....and for any of my shorter run (4 miles or less) I will continue to go more minimal...

I really like the lighter shoes.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

spoonerweb

I am between B & C.  I train in "traditional" shoes, Vibrams, and very little barefoot.  I will wear the minimalist shoes for a race, but will not consider barefoot in a race until I become too ancient to have a chance to PR or win an AG award.

Interesting, since I started running barefoot I have broken all of my previous shod records and not only win AG awards, but also have placed in the top 10, though usually I only place in the top 20.

10 years ago:  New Balance 854 (Motion Control) 16 ounces, 250 miles per pair

5 years ago: Saucony Hurricane (Stability+) 13.5 ounces, 500 miles per pair

Today:  Nike Lunarglide (Stability) 11 ounces, 750 miles per pair

Not minimalist, but moving very slowly in that direction.

Feeling the growl again

10 years ago:  New Balance 854 (Motion Control) 16 ounces, 250 miles per pair

5 years ago: Saucony Hurricane (Stability+) 13.5 ounces, 500 miles per pair

Today:  Nike Lunarglide (Stability) 11 ounces, 750 miles per pair

Not minimalist, but moving very slowly in that direction.

Mizuno Wave Precisions, ~9.5oz.  I run them 700 miles per pair outdoors, 1000 miles on the treadmill.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Dream Maker

I run in more structured shoed than ten years ago

---- I run in Asics Antares 3's at 75 bucks a pair because I have no leg/foot/shin issues in them.  I want to try a much lighter shoe, but concerned the tradeoff for the lighter shoe would be new aches and problems.  Just too chicken to switch to something new...Yet... So I run 5K's, halfs, fulls, trail 50K's and 24'hour races all in the same shoe.  --Can you tell I am a fairly new runner? :-)  (I will do some reading up soon to find another shoe that might suit me better for the longer races and the trail races.)

---- PS.  Whatever happened to all those Vibrams?  I don't see anyone wearing those things anymore at the races I go to!   Were 5-toed shoes merely a fad?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

---- PS.  Whatever happened to all those Vibrams?  I don't see anyone wearing those things anymore at the races I go to!   Were 5-toed shoes merely a fad?

Probably because you've gotten faster...they're all behind you now.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    npaden

Interesting.  Just saw this today.

http://www.runnersworld.com/barefoot-running-minimalism/study-vibram-fivefingers-lead-greater-risk-foot-bone-injury

I can't vote in the poll.  I run primarily in minimalist shoes but only started running a couple years ago so no options available to me.

I'm doing most of my running in skechers go runs right now although I have a pair of vibrams.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Hoban-Jay

I wear mostly minimalist...vibrams or a pair of $14 water/harbour shoes.  In warmer months, I run barefoot some...this spring and summer I will be doing so even more.  Colorado winters are fairly harsh on barefeet!

runnermom61

My new favorite running shoe genre:  low heel drop, but cushioned.  (Saucony Mirage 2 & 3, Saucony Virrata.  Soon will add a pair of Hoka's for distance/trail ultras.).  5 years ago I wore Asics 20xx.  Loved them but wanted to test the waters with a more minimal shoe and found that I prefer the lower drop (but like some cushion with it).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Interesting.  Just saw this today.

http://www.runnersworld.com/barefoot-running-minimalism/study-vibram-fivefingers-lead-greater-risk-foot-bone-injury

I can't vote in the poll.  I run primarily in minimalist shoes but only started running a couple years ago so no options available to me.

I'm doing most of my running in skechers go runs right now although I have a pair of vibrams.

Can a "study" consist of only 19 subjects and 17 controls?

Right on Hereford...

Can a "study" consist of only 19 subjects and 17 controls?

Yes.

Probably because you've gotten faster...they're all behind you now.

I've seen some fast runners wearing 5 fingers and in one 5 miler I was in first place went to a guy wearing Vibrams fivefingers. His average pace had to be some where around 5:45 or faster.