If you rotate two or more pairs of shoes, when do you start with the 2nd pair? the 3rd pair? (Read 982 times)

Beginner all over again

I'm approaching 100 miles on my newest shoes, and I'm thinking about getting another pair to rotate, maybe do my Long Runs in the new pair (?), more cush.

I prefer fresh shoes, don't ever want to overdo mileage on my shoes, and frankly, I'm afraid of injury from older shoes.

But I'm curious, do you have more than one pair of running shoes? How do you rotate them?

Thank you!

I buy two pair of the same shoe at the same time. I run every day and simply alternate them - assuming I remember which pair used last time since they look identical. I don't worry too much about it. It may make the shoes last longer, it can't do any harm. At some point I'll realize it's been a while since I bought new shoes and check the mileage on them (I mark on my calendar when I get new shoes) - last time I did this I realized the two pair had 2400 miles on them. The 400-500 mile figure you hear thrown around may work for some people/brands but I think there's a LOT of variation (see other threads).

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
      Jill_B

I fly.

I do a lot of my running on a treadmill, so my "outside" pair becomes my treadmill pair at 150 miles.  I keep the treadmill pair until just over 300 miles (actually, I usually keep them longer than that so I can bring them with me if I travel and toss them then.)

Bring it on.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I buy two pair of the same shoe at the same time. I run every day and simply alternate them - assuming I remember which pair used last time since they look identical.

When I do this I use a permanent (indelible) marker to put a "1" or a "2" on the midsole of the shoe so that I can log their individual mileages and make sure I'm not overusing one pair.

I give a pair of shoes until 600 miles, unless they start to feel worn before then.  I can usually tell as I start to get lower leg niggles.

I currently rotate 2 x Asics 2130s as my everyday shoe, a pair of DS Trainers for faster stuff and races and some Salomon trail shoes for.... trails.  Just about to retire a pair of 3000s - didn't think that much of them and think they have got to about 550 - 600 miles.

I am normally rotating between 3 or 4 pairs of shoes, but normally have two primary pairs of shoes that I will use ...and sprinkle the others in...

Usually, when I have two pairs, I will simply run in one pair one day and the other pair the next day.....but I do track (in RA) the mileage on my shoes.   After a pair of shoes gets to 400 miles, I will then make sure I have a third pair that I put into the mix...and the pair that has 400 miles become my short distance easy run shoes (usually wont wear them more then 3 or 4 miles and only on really easy days)....until they get to 500 miles.   After they hit 500 miles, some need to become yard shoes and other are still OK to run in (again short mileage easy days)......

Because of my process above, I usually end up rotating 3 pairs........

Also -- I bought a pair of shoes (Brooks Defyance) but for some reason, I dont like the way they feel out of the street but they feel great on a Tread Mill......so my Brooks Defyance are my TreadMill shoes..but on a TM, they dont wear and tear so much so I expect to get LOTS of miles on them....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Beginner all over again

Thank you, everyone.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have four pairs of Pearl Izumi Syncro Infinity shoes.  I LOVE them, so I keep buying them in case the company changes or discontinues them!  I keep them about 100 miles apart.  They currently have 44, 144, 240, and 329 miles on them.  I use the oldest pair for short runs only, since some people have said their shoes start wearing out at 300 miles, and I don't want to take a chance on them hurting on a long run.

I pretty much do what everybody else does...

I have multiple pairs of shoes and I just choose a dry pair that I haven't worn within the last day or two to run in, unless it's my vibrams in which case I don't worry about it as much (how recently I ran in them, not how dry they are.)

I label every pair of shoes on the back of the heel w/a letter, I'm up to X or Y right now.  That started when I had 4 pairs of the same kind of shoes some years back and I just kept the scheme up although w/the way that RA handles equipment I don't usually pay attention to the letter anymore.  It does let me match up shoes easier though, which is nice.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have no system.  When a pair gets old, I replace the shoes.  When I have new shoes, I start wearing them.  Sometimes they all have the same milage and sometimes the milage is separated by 200+ miles.

Imminent Catastrophe

I have multiple pairs of shoes and I just choose a dry pair that I haven't worn within the last day or two to run in, unless it's my vibrams in which case I don't worry about it as much (how recently I ran in them, not how dry they are.)

Yep. Except I generally use a newer (lower mileage) pair for long runs.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Lately have two Primary shoes:

1. NB 1063 --- Long runs as give better support (newer pair)  150 mi.

2. Mizuno Inspire 5 -- Short / intermeadiatte runs and sometimes races as lighter.  (Oldest pair with most miles -- 300 mi?? and used to be long runs)

--------

3.Banditos for short races.  Expect these to last a long time.

-------

4.  New Balance test shoes.  Had 1064s and used on 70% of runs and was primary shoe in the 6 weeks I had them and ended up extending the life of the mizunos.  Now have NB 749 and will throw in the mix with 1 and 2 but maybe a 33/33/33 mix??

------

5.  Have Nike Pegauses that have some miles in but have been wearing as casual shoenot really in the rotation. May run some trails in them as they seem the sturdiest.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Beginner all over again

I keep them about 100 miles apart.

I was thinking of doing this.  Keeping them 100 miles apart.

Because I'm new, I don't know that I"m going to know when my shoes are wearing out come mile 200, 300, 400, or whether I get sore just from training increases in general.

tomatolover

I'd say that one you start getting little injuries/pains, it's time for a new pair...For me, this is around 300 miles with Aasics Kayanos...I can get to around 350, then my hip goes whack.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I keep them about 100 miles apart. 

That sounds like a real pain.  Where do you store them?  Do you have friends who each live 100 miles away in different directions?  And you sure must use a lot of gas to get to your shoes.  Its a cool way to make sure that you run different routes tho, so I guess there is that.  But you must spend so much time in your car driving between pairs of shoes.

Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have no system.  When a pair gets old, I replace the shoes.  When I have new shoes, I start wearing them.  Sometimes they all have the same milage and sometimes the milage is separated by 200+ miles.

Yep.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay