How do I get healthy? Chronic calf pain (Read 104 times)

snapa55

Ever since I've been a runner,  coming up on 3 years now, I've experienced some sort of calf related pain:

• Tight calves
    • Deep stabbing pain in my calves
    • Achilles Tendonitis
    • Plantar Fasciitis

I may be a victim of too much, too soon, but I've been tailoring my recent training with that in mind.  10 days a week, 3 workouts (including a long day), with the rest of the days filled with super easy running.  Even with this reduced training amount, I'm experiencing sore heels and lower calf pains on both legs.  How do I get finally get healthy?  I just want to get back to running healthy and fast!

Things I've used in the past that have somewhat helped:

• The Stick
    • Calf compression sleeves
    • Eccentric Heel Drops

5K: 18:43 (12/13) 10K: 42:50 (12/12) HM: 1:30:10 (3/14) M: 3:34:46 (5/14)

Joann Y

Tried a foam roller?

snapa55

dupe

Read this, and try it. It worked wonders for my calf issues.

Ever since I've been a runner,  coming up on 3 years now, I've experienced some sort of calf related pain:

• Tight calves
          • Deep stabbing pain in my calves
          • Achilles Tendonitis
          • Plantar Fasciitis

I may be a victim of too much, too soon, but I've been tailoring my recent training with that in mind.  10 days a week, 3 workouts (including a long day), with the rest of the days filled with super easy running.  Even with this reduced training amount, I'm experiencing sore heels and lower calf pains on both legs.  How do I get finally get healthy?  I just want to get back to running healthy and fast!

Things I've used in the past that have somewhat helped:

• The Stick
          • Calf compression sleeves
          • Eccentric Heel Drops

Could your shoes be part of the problem? You have a lot of light, low drop shoes in your equipment list, which can be tough on feet and lower legs. It might be an idea to rotate those with a more traditional running shoe?

otherwise it seems like you're doing the right things - compression, eccentric heel drops, and massage all work for me when my calves are acting up.

snapa55

Read this, and try it. It worked wonders for my calf issues.

Trying it out!

snapa55

Could your shoes be part of the problem? You have a lot of light, low drop shoes in your equipment list, which can be tough on feet and lower legs. It might be an idea to rotate those with a more traditional running shoe?

otherwise it seems like you're doing the right things - compression, eccentric heel drops, and massage all work for me when my calves are acting up.

Any suggestions on shoes?  From my experience with the NB 890v2, I found that bulky shoes messed with my gait and caused injuries.

Any suggestions on shoes?  From my experience with the NB 890v2, I found that bulky shoes messed with my gait and caused injuries.

I know the feeling of shoes messing with your gait. Whenever I switch from lighter low drop shoes to my stability shoes I feel like I'm clomping, not running. unfortunately for my wannabe-superrunner-ego, my ankles (or more accurately, my Achilles and peroneal tendons) really like the stability shoes; they're never sore afterwards and my calves are a lot less tight. So I rotate between the lighter shoes and the stability shoes.

Kind of random question, but if you go back and look at your log from when you wore those 890s, are you sure the shoes were at fault?

do you have a good running store nearby? You could just go there and tell them you need something between altras and nb890s and see what they come up with. In the last few years it seems like your typical "bulky" trainers have debulked a bit.

snapa55

I know the feeling of shoes messing with your gait. Whenever I switch from lighter low drop shoes to my stability shoes I feel like I'm clomping, not running. unfortunately for my wannabe-superrunner-ego, my ankles (or more accurately, my Achilles and peroneal tendons) really like the stability shoes; they're never sore afterwards and my calves are a lot less tight. So I rotate between the lighter shoes and the stability shoes.

Kind of random question, but if you go back and look at your log from when you wore those 890s, are you sure the shoes were at fault?

do you have a good running store nearby? You could just go there and tell them you need something between altras and nb890s and see what they come up with. In the last few years it seems like your typical "bulky" trainers have debulked a bit.

Looking back at my log, I can't say for certain.  I'll probably try out the Saucony Truimph ISO or the Kinvara 5 and see where that takes me.  Thanks!

ABTASTIK

Google "Calf Heart Attack"