Min Stability Adidas Tempo 9 (Read 44 times)

dcowboys31

Hello,

New to running this year and went through a bunch of shoes this past spring and settled on a few for training & racing. It was worth not only the investment but also the effort as my biggest fear was injury (have had IT band issues in the past). I do not have any known pronation issues and relied on mostly neutral shoes (listed below). I am 6'4" and weight is between 225lb & 230lb run 20 to 24 miles per week.

Adidas Ultra Boost 4.0 - slow, very easy miles.

Brooks Glycerin 16 - long runs, medium pace.

Brooks Launch 5 - tempo runs, intervals

Adidas Tempo 9 - 5K races, intervals

My question is I tried the Adidas Boston 6 but was not supportive enough, just not enough shoe. I went to the Adidas Tempo 9 as I thought "stability" meant it offered more "support" than the Boston 6, which it does but I just realized the stability actually means there is a pronation issue with the runner. These are categorized as "minimum stability" do you think there would be any issues using these for fast runs, races? The reason I ask is since I started doing some routine speedwork (end of May) I have been having some right hip soreness the day after the run  and do think it is from not stretching enough but the shoe issue is also on my mind. Have not used these exclusively, about half of the workouts mixed with the Brooks Launch 5.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/adidas_adizero_Tempo_9/descpage-ADT9MS1.html

Really like the feel of the Tempo9 but now that I know they are not neutral and the hip issue I am a bit worried (maybe just in my head).

Thanks in advance for any help on this,

Jay

I've read a few articles that say stability shoes have few negative affects on runners who don't need them, because they don't really have enough foot roll to get to the point where the "stability" kicks in. It's just extra weight. Motion control shoes on the other hand can have an impact on a neutral runner's gait and may cause issues.

Hip issue might be from different type of running, which puts different strains on muscle groups. If you're running fast workouts in the Tempo 9's but not in the other shoes, then the activity and not the shoes may be the source.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

curlydan

OP, I feel the same way about the Boston and have hesitated to buy a pair of the Tempos for the same reason. I would guess that the small amount of added support makes little difference. I am glad to hear that it has worked well for you. Maybe I'll try them out next time I need a new pair of shoes.

dcowboys -

I've always worn neutral shoes, but due to a recent injury, I decided to try some "mild stability" and got the adizero tempo 9. I like the shoes (and bought a 2nd pair).  To tell the truth, I can't detect any "stability" when I'm running.  They would work for fast workouts or racing.

I tried 2 other fast shoes with "mild stability" -  Saucony Fastwitch 8 and NB1500v4.  I preferred the adizero tempo 9.

dcowboys31

Thank you for the replies. At first I was so worried about running in different models, brands but now I see how it will be better in the long term. Even if you could find the perfect sneaker and become dependent on it for training, racing, likely the next model year it will be completely redesigned and the fit will change so by rotating different models, brands, fits etc. throughout the week, month, year it seems your body will not become to accustomed to one and less likely to have issues changing models (brands) then if you used one shoe for thousands of miles then suddenly change. The first quote is from Surly Bill and the second from Runners World and they both now make a ton of sense to me.

"Most people have a stable of different models of shoes and don't wear the same pair more than a couple times a week. That prevents some over use issues that may be compounded by one particular shoe model."

"But running in different shoes can make you stronger, faster, and less prone to injury. Studies show correlations between running in a variety of footwear and reduced injuries. Every time you put on a different pair of shoes, your interaction with the ground changes slightly, thus you stride differently. This strengthens new muscles and connective tissues while reducing the repetitive stress on the same body parts."

Seattle prattle

the difference in weight between the adidas boston boost 6 and the adidas adizero tempo 9 is 0.1 ounce. That is nothing.

It would appear to me that the only thing different between these two shoes is that they use some dual density foam to compensate for pronation: ". In order to help reduce overpronation, the shoe now offers Energized Stability that uses zones of denser boost material to create added support without the need of a traditional posting system"

That may help a little bit but it's hard to imagine that it's going to feel much different.

I'm just saying becuase it looked interesting as a more daily trainer to add to my Boston Boosts, but on checking out the statistics i was expecting a shoe that was maybe at least .5 ounces heavier. This doesn't seem to be much of difference.