What about iron? (Read 666 times)

Roses Revenge

I normally take a womens formula multi without iron since I am post-menopausal. Recently I've been told that since I'm an endurance athlete I probably should be taking a multi with iron since the iron helps the blood deliver the oxygen to the muscles. I'll talk to the doc about that next time I'm in, but in the meantime, what do you think? My last hemocrit test put me smack in the middle of the normal range. Rose Personally, I tend to think the person who told me this is trying to fit all athletes into the same formula and I suspect that she thinks I'm much younger than I really am.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

As a guy, I take a multi with iron and see a difference with it, so she might be right. If you've been logging everything, then you might be okay until you add another workout or two a week.
        My last hemocrit test put me smack in the middle of the normal range.
        I'm no doctor, but I am not sure if a hematocrit would really reveal iron deficiency. I'm not certain, but it might be possible that your body would still produce RBCs with less iron-containing hemoglobin. It is probably a good idea to talk to someone who is really qualified on the subject though, such as your doctor. Personally, I am not a big fan of supplements. I believe that you can get everything you need from an excellent diet filled with fruits and vegetables. Maybe you have to ask yourself what the risks are of increasing iron consumption and how the endurance-related benefits might outweigh the risks.
        2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
          It starts with hemocrit, and the packed RBC count, you don't want it too high or it becomes easier for platelets to stick together. In other words your bloods too thick, also you then have a high capacity for having a high iron level. EPO raises this level as it is partially genetically predisposed to a certain level. Talk to you doc about it, but I wouldn't take one just because of your age.
          HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

As a guy, I take a multi with iron and see a difference with it, so she might be right. If you've been logging everything, then you might be okay until you add another workout or two a week.
            I didn't think men were supposed to take an iron supplement as part of daily routine (unless diagnosed with an iron deficient disorder/disease). Anyone care to help me out with clarification? Need to do some research.

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)