Garmin imports now in metric instead of in miles (Read 148 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So...historically, when I've imported from my Garmin, the workout has been imported in miles.

In the last two days, something changed - the overall import is now in miles (i.e. the total miles run), but the manual laps are all broken down as meters, rather than as miles or part of a mile.

I have not updated my Garmin or any supporting products, so not sure why this is. I also haven't changed any settings in RA

I'm not sure this matters, but my browser is MS edge 44.18362.329.0; running Windows 10 Pro

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

HermosaBoy

I have noticed this as well. Seems to be only for intervals that are less than 1 mile (which is my auto-lap on my garmin).

Chrome Version 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

sherio

This is happening to me as well but not necessarily for laps under 1 mile.  Today, I had a 1-mi autolap and then I turned off autolaps so that I could manually lap a 5K course, plus I hit the lap button afterwards for my cooldown.  What uploaded was the 1 mile autolap, but then the other manually lapped distances were in meters (not even in K's).  Very strange to see the mixed types.

I'm using a Forerunner 920XT on a MacBook Pro using Safari.

Magmason

I use other interfaces, and it isn't showing up in metric distance anywhere but Running Ahead.  I hope it's just a glitch and can revert back to the old way...I'm not versant enough in the metric system for this information to be useful to me!  My track workout looks like gibberish to me.

an amazing likeness

Something is happening in the import of the .FIT file in interpreting the distance in the split information.  It's not a Garmin Connect artifact because if you take the .FIT file directly from the device, RA will display the split distance in meters, even though the device file has in the native (miles or KM) setting of the device.  It will take an RA software fix from the looks of it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

eric :)

Hi all,

I made a change recently that would have caused this. The data in FIT are expressed in meters. If your default distance unit is in miles, it used to convert the interval distance to miles. If the distance is short enough, then having the distance in miles will result in a large discrepancy in pace. I changed the code to "guess" what the intended distance should be.

I can make another change such that any distance greater than your default distance unit will be expressed in that unit. Would that be an acceptable solution?

eric Smile

an amazing likeness

..If the distance is short enough, then having the distance in miles will result in a large discrepancy in pace...

My workout today had ~3mi splits -- over 5,000 meters. It is shown as meters in the splits.  That doesn't seem to fit that the split was short enough to not be converted to the user-preference miles...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I just observed the same. I forgot to switch my watch back to auto lap for Saturday’s run, and even though some of the splits are close to a mile, everything is in meters (either above or below 1 mile splits).

My workout today had ~3mi splits -- over 5,000 meters. It is shown as meters in the splits.  That doesn't seem to fit that the split was short enough to not be converted to the user-preference miles...

Magmason

Hi all,

I made a change recently that would have caused this. The data in FIT are expressed in meters. If your default distance unit is in miles, it used to convert the interval distance to miles. If the distance is short enough, then having the distance in miles will result in a large discrepancy in pace. I changed the code to "guess" what the intended distance should be.

I can make another change such that any distance greater than your default distance unit will be expressed in that unit. Would that be an acceptable solution?

eric Smile

Hi Eric, I've never noticed a pace discrepancy with RA when it expressed everything in miles or decimals of miles, at least not anything significant enough to warrant changing everything to meters.  Strava measures my pace in laps even less accurately.  I would MUCH prefer to have things as they were, can you change it back to the way it used to be?  I really prefer using RA as my running log over Strava, and would like to continue to do so.  (I don't understand your proposal in the last sentence of your post, but if it means everything will be expressed in miles instead of meters by default, I'm fine with that.)  By the way, if people do want meters--and sometimes I do if we're running 600's or 1200's during a track workout--the log allows a user to change that just for individual splits.

Best,

Maggie

kcam

Hi all,

eric Smile

I've always disliked that when I was running intervals on the track RA would report them as fractions of miles.  Then I'd have to go and convert them all one by one.  Yech.   I like your idea of converting anything less than my 'default distance unit' (in my case that would be the 'mile') to 'meters'.  Longer intervals or laps can be reported as 'miles'.

I only noticed this change in behavior after today's run.  I ran 14 X .13 mile intervals (didn't change my watch to metric) and saw all of the intervals had been reformatted to meters - PERFECT as I was trying to run ~200m intervals on a road course.  I like it!

bblack

I've always disliked that when I was running intervals on the track RA would report them as fractions of miles.  Then I'd have to go and convert them all one by one.  Yech.   I like your idea of converting anything less than my 'default distance unit' (in my case that would be the 'mile') to 'meters'.  Longer intervals or laps can be reported as 'miles'.

I only noticed this change in behavior after today's run.  I ran 14 X .13 mile intervals (didn't change my watch to metric) and saw all of the intervals had been reformatted to meters - PERFECT as I was trying to run ~200m intervals on a road course.  I like it!

+ 1 On this - I like the new feature

Julia1971

I break my routes into segments that are usually less than a mile, so this isn't ideal for me.  But, I don't mind converting the lap distance to miles for workouts where I actually care about my pace for those segments.  (It looks like Garmin Connect has the distance of the laps in...  What are miles? "Imperial"?  So, this won't be hard to do.)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

For myself, I preferred the old way.

To explain how I do stuff, I always correct the distances in my log.  When I run outside, I run routes that are pre-measured.  So...I know that corner W to corner X is .55 miles, corner X to corner Y is 1.11 miles, and corner Y to corner Z is .6 miles, for example.  So...then when my Garmin spits out .54, 1.13, and .6, I just correct the first two

If the upload shows the distance in miles, then it's easy for me to see where I need to correct.  But...if it spits it out in metric, then it's a bit trickier, since it's harder for me to remember where I was when, and I basically have to correct every single lap.

I do also run on the track, and I record those distances in meters, also correcting (since my Garmin always mismeasures distances on the track).  But I run on the track less than I run on the road, and so I'd rather be changing stuff from miles to meters than the reverse.]]

I can live with it either way - I have a workaround.  But I much preferred the original way.  And the suggestion of distances of a mile+ in miles, less than a mile in meters, isn't my preference because quite a few of the segments of my premeasured routes are less than a mile.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Magmason

Eric, reporting distances under a mile as meters won't work for me.  I do a track workout once a week and a tempo run once a week, and the segments for both are usually or frequently under a mile.

Can you configure it so that the user has a choice?

Wing

Joggaholic

I have a suggestion. I don't mind the new change, but when I do need to manually change the unit, can RA do an automatic conversion?

For example, I see a split in the table that says 1448 m (because it is shorter than my default unit of 1 mile), and I manually go click the unit box to change it from "m" to "mi", can RA automatically take the 1448 and turn it into 0.9? I don't mind making manual changes to the units, it's converting the numbers that take extra efforts.

Thanks Eric!