Garmin imports now in metric instead of in miles (Read 148 times)

kcam

Funny thing is - we do have the option of miles or meters (under "locale").  But I guess that option only goes to paces and total distance, not to intervals.

Yes we do have that option but it applies to the entire log.  I just want intervals in terms of meters, not my entire log!   Who runs .125 mile, .25 mile, .5 mile, .625 mile, .75 mile intervals?!  I've always run 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 1200m (and 1600m, 3200m) intervals.  Weird, I know, when for every other workout (tempos, MP runs, Long runs etc) i think in terms of 'miles'!

Also, the way the log used to work I was the one spending extra minutes converting my short intervals from Imperial to Metric so I get your frustration there!  And it didn't matter if I set my Garmin to record in terms of metric (which I always do when I run short intervals), RA still reported them as Imperial.  Maybe that's a good solution ... if the recording device is set to metric then RA should report the data as metric and vice versa as opposed to RA always reporting one or the other regardless.

Magmason

I see there's a poll now, so if you care about it, vote! https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/8ba74eba5b794d5b89e0a7ce9333f810/resume#focus

Julia1971

Yes we do have that option but it applies to the entire log.  I just want intervals in terms of meters, not my entire log!   Who runs .125 mile, .25 mile, .5 mile, .625 mile, .75 mile intervals?! 

I do.  Smile  My local track is too crowded so I run my intervals on the trail.

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

Hi all,

I made a change recently that would have caused this. The data in FIT are expressed in meters. If your default distance unit is in miles, it used to convert the interval distance to miles. If the distance is short enough, then having the distance in miles will result in a large discrepancy in pace. I changed the code to "guess" what the intended distance should be.

I can make another change such that any distance greater than your default distance unit will be expressed in that unit. Would that be an acceptable solution?

eric Smile

I guess I'm not understanding why there was a need for this change. Did FIT all of a sudden begin importing in metric? The GarminConnect site gives all information in the users setup choice - so for those of us using Imperial measurements, we get everything (all of our laps) in miles. . . for me these laps are in .5 mile increments. If I wanted metric, I'd change my watch to metric. . .

5k: -- 26:12 (12/17/2016)

10k: 58:36 (6/14/2016)

Half: 2:08:23 (7/4/2015)

Longest: 15.03 (5/31/2014)

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.

azorca

Eric,

Thanks for all that you do.   I think for me, I would like the data converted back to decimal miles (but I don't mind doing that manually), and going forward, have like it was.

Question is, CAN it go back?

Maybe an extra button on the interval section that has convert, so we don't have to get out a calculator?

Thanks

Cyberic

You realize this whole forum exists for the purpose of discussing things that are not that big of a deal.

You nailed it there, DaveP! 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It is FIXED!

Thank you so much!  So much better!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

azorca

YAAAAA!

I noticed today after uploading.

Thank you Eric!

Andy