My VERY VERY LONG Steamtown Marathon race report!! (Read 1079 times)

How many alarms do you set to make sure you wake up on time on Marathon day? Well in my case 4. We had the computer set, my phone set, alarm clock at hotel set as well as a wake up call from the hotel clerk.. Of course we had no problems waking up before any of the alarms went off. Had everything already set out on the other queen size bed so that all we needed to do was put it on, have a bite to eat and head down to meet John (an older gentleman that we met the day before that was hitching a ride to the bus’s with us). Despite my cold and how I had been feeling the past couple of days, the excitement of the race was starting to overtake the crappy feeling and fill me with butterflies instead. We made it to the bus’s and I managed to sit next to a woman who recognized me from the South Mountain 10 miler that I did last year. She didn’t run it, however she was a volunteer there. Steamtown was to be her first marathon. The bus ride up was nice and relaxing. We actually went up a lot of the route that we would be running back on. So we knew a little of what was in store for us. We we’re welcomed by the cheerleaders from Forrest high school. I was a little surprised to see so many supporters and volunteers at the school. Finally 7:50 arrived and they had everyone head over to the starting line. Ken and I headed towards the end of the 9 minute mile area (right next to the 10 minute mile) We knew we weren’t going to be running together so we just made sure we weren’t too far up front. It was cool hearing the cannon go off, indicting the start of the race. It was pretty packed so we walked our way over the starting line. Ken and I ran most of the first mile together. Of course he ended up saying good luck and see you at the finish line before pulling back. Hearing the church bells as we went through Forrest City was so cool. You wouldn’t believe how many people we’re up that early to cheer everyone on. What really amazed me was all the elderly people all dressed up for church standing out cheering. I think I had a huge grin on my face for at least the first hour or so despite the hill around mile 2. You should of heard everyone say “but the first 8 miles is supposed to be down hill”. Around mile 3 I pulled over and headed to the bushes (it was funny seeing all the guys on the left side and all the women on the right side) to do my thang. It’s amazing how your modesty goes out the window during a race. Probably why my garmin didn’t even register the stop (I was so fast it didn’t even notice lol) Anyway back on the road again I was really amazed at all the people that we’re out cheering everyone on. The race went through many many small towns and NOT one single one wasn’t full of people, some cheering friends and family. Some cheering EVERYONE on. SO many signs that said GO your name here! I think I made my first water stop at mile 7. Not only did they have water and Gatorade but they had oranges as well. I think that is the main reason I stopped. That was the first out of probably a dozen more water stops that I walked through. Another thing that surprised me was all the music that was being played, from ACDC on a radio, to an old group playing a polka. Bagpipes, a high school band. Many more people out with huge speakers playing music, I even heard the theme from Rocky. I think there we’re a couple of garage bands as well. Talk about AWESOME! I don’t think there we’re many houses that we passed that didn’t have at least one person either on the porch or in their yard cheering everyone on. Oh and as far as water stops, A lot of the homeowners set up their own water stops as well. There we’re times that there were 2 water stops within a half of a mile distance. I don’t think there was more than a mile from each water stop (of course a lot weren’t official water stops) I ended up stopping to use the restroom again around mile 8. Due to my cold and the reminder of a friend, I was doing what I could to make sure I got lots of water in. Around mile 18 they had us do a loop in some kind of park. They had the little strips that you go over so they can get your time off your chip (to make sure you don’t cheat to get to the finish line I suppose) and afterwards we went through a nice little tow path. It was Such a nice surprise! My feet had been feeling the pounding from the pavement from the beginning of the race, so getting off the pavement felt really good. I was still feeling good and was liking how things we’re working out. Yes I was losing time from walking through the water stops, HOWEVER the enjoyment I was getting from interacting with the people was something you just can’t get at a lot of races. I couldn’t help but high five every kid I could, go through all the little showers the kids had set up with their hose’s. I even stopped for a blue freeze pop a kid was handing out. It was NASTY but hey at least it was cold. You know how they say DON”T do anything you haven’t done during a training run? Well I was doing the exact opposite. They had so many goodies out there, how could I not stop taste and say thank you? I have NEVER seen the kind of support at any race I’ve ever done that I saw while doing Steamtown! A little after mile 20 I saw a girl that I had spent time talking to at the expo and had stayed at the same hotel with, on the ground with an emt next to her. I of course slowed down to see if there was anything I could do. Well needless to say due to my stupidity (should have just stopped running) I ended up falling forward hitting the ground with my shoulder and wrist stopping me from completely body slamming the ground. As I fell you could hear all the runners gasp and then yelling to see if I was alright. I of course said I’m ok and the EMT said they we’re waiting on an ambulance so I nodded and wished her luck and got back running. Wasn’t too long before I heard a couple guys yelling that I was making them look bad due to coming back from a fall and pushing the pace faster then they were. I just shook my head and laughed. Thinking back I am really surprised at how I bounced back like I did. I truly was like a machine and I had one thing on my mind. FINISHING the marathon! I didn’t care how fast or slow I was going to be. I was going to finish and I was going to finish strong! Mile 22,, then mile 23 the first of the two hills that we’re expected came up. Pushed up the hill as so many we’re walking. Got a NICE soaking from a guy holding a hose (boy did it feel good) mile 24 came and so did a nice long uphill. That one I did walk a bit. Mile 25 came and went and finally mile 26. You could almost see the finish line a little before mile 26 so at that point I finally put on the gas and really started pushing. Pushing with a HUGE GRIN on my face that NOBODY could wipe off. Not sure how many people I passed, but I swear I probably looked like someone who was looking to win the race, and I wasn’t going to let anyone I saw in front of me get there before I did (of course there we’re those who did but those weren’t the people I saw lol) Finished with a HUGE grin on my face. For the first time I actually took the time to find the place where they have the flag and they take photo’s of the finishers. Despite the fact that Ken wasn’t in yet, I told the man I wanted my picture taken and that I would probably be back with my husband later to get one taken of us together (never did ) 4:01:47 was my chip time and 4:03:04 was the clock time. Due to my total lack of directions I ended up walking who knows how long before finding my car so that I could change and grab some stuff before heading back to wait for Ken to come through. After getting back I made my way through to the finish line and ended up running into John the fellow we had given a ride to the bus’s that morning. He had just came through and was in pain. I told him congrats and asked if he’d seen Ken. He was like oh he passed me and is already in. I was a little surprised. I kind of expected him to come in around 5 hours since his last marathon was 5 and a half hours. Well I finally found Ken and he looked GREAT! Turned out he came in with a chip time of 4:19:27 and a clock time of 4:20:47 or something like that. Talk about making me proud! Steamtown is DEFINETLY a marathon that I plan on doing as many times as I can. The people TOTALLY make that race (that and it’s a really organized and nice race) I NEVER expected to have such a good time during a marathon! If you made it through this far WTG!! And THANKS! MTA: First half done in 2:00:13 (aprox) and Second half done in 2:01:34

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

OH and due to me being an idiot and forgetting a camera this is the only picture I have lol. I just HAD to take a picture of my one of my "battle wounds" Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket The picture DOESN"T do it justice!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wow! that sounds like an amazing race experience! Loved the report and can't wait to see some finishing pictures!!! Ouch to that shoulder abrasion - it does look nasty. Congrats on your race and thanks for taking the time to write a great report Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Congratulations! I ran Steamtown as my first marathon and came in about an hour and a half after you, a lot slower than I wanted to but totally smiling. It is an amazing race! Even as slow as I was there was a lot of great support on the course. I especially loved the kid who said "Is she the last runner, Mommy?" My girlfriend passed by the same kid 10 minutes later and he said the same darn thing. Again, WELL DONE! And a great race report. I hope your shoulder heals up well! (And your husband gives me hope for my next marathon!)
          2008 Goals
        • Run 1250 miles
        • Get down to 135!
        • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
        • btb1490

Pam, you really "got" what that race is all about. I'm so glad you took the time to look around and notice. I'm also glad you ran one heck of a great race out there as well! You really are amazing! You make it look so easy! Great job, and best of luck at Philly. Congrats to Ken too on his awesome race! Thanks for the great report Pam. Please rest a bit now, ok? Smile
            va

Pam, Congrats! I loved your report. I am putting Steamtown on my short list for next fall. It sounds great! Also, congrats to your husband as well, that's an amazing time improvement. Shocked
                Apparently great preparation and a great atmosphere lead to great results (for both of you), which lead to great race reports. Doesn't get any better than that, congrats to both of you.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

What a great race report Pam! I love it. Congratulations again to you and to Ken for such great times. You made this race sound so inviting, I'll have to keep it in mind for next year. Smile

Michelle

Wow! that sounds like an amazing race experience! Loved the report and can't wait to see some finishing pictures!!! Ouch to that shoulder abrasion - it does look nasty. Congrats on your race and thanks for taking the time to write a great report Smile
                    Thanks Cheryl! I think I actually might have some decent photo's this time (though thanks to Scout and Michelle I have some from the last as well). Yep my shoulder is sore. I'm getting a nasty bruise on my right knee as well. Didn't really expect it to bruise.

Congratulations! I ran Steamtown as my first marathon and came in about an hour and a half after you, a lot slower than I wanted to but totally smiling. It is an amazing race! Even as slow as I was there was a lot of great support on the course. I especially loved the kid who said "Is she the last runner, Mommy?" My girlfriend passed by the same kid 10 minutes later and he said the same darn thing. Again, WELL DONE! And a great race report. I hope your shoulder heals up well! (And your husband gives me hope for my next marathon!)
                      Well CONGRATS AND WTG on finishing your first marathon!! You picked an AWESOME race for your first one! OH and keep up with the training and you will knock alot of time off your next race! Thanks Renee!

derek

Congratulations on your marathon! Eariler this year when I was trying to decide which marathon I wanted to run, Steamtown was in my list of marathons that I was deciding among. I ended up going with Chicago just because of the size. I may have been better off at Steamtown :-) Derek

Derek

Pam, you really "got" what that race is all about. I'm so glad you took the time to look around and notice. I'm also glad you ran one heck of a great race out there as well! You really are amazing! You make it look so easy! Great job, and best of luck at Philly. Congrats to Ken too on his awesome race! Thanks for the great report Pam. Please rest a bit now, ok? Smile
                          Thanks so much Bob!! Remember that race was for you as well as me! I didn't quite get expect it to be sooooooooooo AWESOME, being that it's a small race. Makes me just want to do small well organized races (I'm sure I'll get a MONKEY reference sometime soon) And it's thanks to this site and the people that helped motivate me to keep running that helped me make it look so easy (though a marathon is never really easy). As for resting, I'll do that once I'm destressed!

Apparently great preparation and a great atmosphere lead to great results (for both of you), which lead to great race reports. Doesn't get any better than that, congrats to both of you.
                            Thanks Ed and your absolutely right, it doesn't get any better!

What a great race report Pam! I love it. Congratulations again to you and to Ken for such great times. You made this race sound so inviting, I'll have to keep it in mind for next year. Smile
                              Thanks Michelle! You GOTTA DO IT next year!

Congratulations on your marathon! Eariler this year when I was trying to decide which marathon I wanted to run, Steamtown was in my list of marathons that I was deciding among. I ended up going with Chicago just because of the size. I may have been better off at Steamtown :-) Derek
                                Thanks Derek, COngrats to you as well! See I almost chose Chicago, but went with Steamtown due to size. Yes you would of been better off! But such is life.