Alternatives to Runners World magazine (Read 1610 times)

It had been several years since I had a subscription to Runners World and I recently renewed my subscription.  Not sure if my outlook on running has changed or if the magazine is different than I remember, but it's just not making me happy like it used to.  Seems like Runners World articles are either basic to the point of inane or just plain wrong.  What else is out there with some good articles, advice and pro running coverage.

I switched to Running Times and am pretty happy with it.   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

MrH

Running Times is better.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Pretty sad when the most popular running mag perpetuates the myth that the first Olympic 800 meter women's race resulted in several runners crumbling at the finish line (latest issue).

I'm enjoying Running Times a lot more.  The audience is slightly different.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I switched to Running Times and am pretty happy with it.   

+1.  RW is like a running-centric version of the supermarket magazines.  My family used to ridicule it, and I couldn't disagree.

I prefer runningahead.com. Much more informative than the magazines I've subscribed to. Wink
              xor

FWIW, I dropped Running Times before I dropped Runners' World.  RT is pretty thin for the price, the info repeats over time ("it's just running") and it devotes a few of its already-small page count to stuff like college running, which I have no problem with except that I'm not terribly interested.  I might be more interested, actually, if there was more real estate devoted to the topic. 

Plus RT periodically publishes articles from two people who annoy the hell out of me.  I won't say who, because I know one of them has google alerts so (s)he'll know when someone disses her/him.  Ain't worth it.

Please don't view any of that as a sales pitch for RW.  Noooooooooo.

The only magazine I really look forward to these days is Ultrarunning.  And mostly for the pics and RD reports from obscure races.

chuckstone

My pick is Marathon and Beyond.  The name should be enough to describe the focus.  I like it because it has more "stories".

Never subscribed to RW, and may have only bought one or two issues over the last 10 yrs. RT and TrailRunner come with membership option in American Trail Running Association. RT is pretty thin these days and probably wouldn't subscribe on its own.

I like TrailRunner most and then UltraRunning, which has gotten a bit better in past few years, but it depends on what you want.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    ilp

Thumbs up for running times. As a recent runner (4 years now), I am still enjoying it (been reading for 2 years or so);

Imminent Catastrophe

The only magazine I really look forward to these days is Ultrarunning.  And mostly for the pics and RD reports from obscure races.

I like it because I sometimes get my name in there.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Oh roo roooo!

My pick is Marathon and Beyond.  The name should be enough to describe the focus.  I like it because it has more "stories".

I like this one also--each time my subscription is about to expire, I dither back and forth b/c it's a little more pricey, but every time so far I've decided it's worth the $$ and renewed.  The "stories" are exactly the reason.

I do also get Running Times and think it's an OK mag.

Get the USA Triathlon magazine, then stay going on some nice bike rides before your runs.

I guess I am the odd ball here I have been getting RW for years and still look forward to it yea it rehashes all the time but dont they all I tried, RT before but did not care for it, to skimpy. I did read TrailRunner awhile back and realy enjoyed it,  I went out and ran some deer and horse trails

and came back scratched bloody and tired but had a good time, sorry to start ramblingCool

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

I also still enjoy RW. I don't like every article, but there are enough that I DO like, such as Frank Shorter revealing the abuse he suffered growing up (his father). It's a cheap subscription and I also like the ads.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth