Accomplishments in 2006 (Read 1085 times)

derek

It’s natural at the end of a year to reflect on what one has accomplished during the year. As I reflect on 2006, I have a feeling that 2006 is going to end up being one of those pivotal years in my life. If at the end of 2005, someone told me that I was going to do any of the following, I would have laughed at them: * Moved from S. Fla to Texas * Start a running program * Run continuously and regularly for 6 months * Be able to run 10 miles without stopping or walking * Wake up at 5:30am and run in sub-freezing temperatures * Lose 50 lbs Well, I wouldn’t have laughed at all of the above. I may have believed that I would have started a running program, but that’s about it. After all, I have tried running in the past, but I usually ended up abandoning it after 2-3 weeks. I think the move to Texas was a big part of the year. It was the perfect opportunity to start fresh. The things I have accomplished were no where on my radar in 2005. I can only imagine what I can accomplish in 2007 now that I actually have some definitive goals and aspirations. That marathon doesn’t seem so impossible now. Losing 20 more lbs seems like something that is definitely achievable. Running further and faster is something I expect to happen once I keep training. To everyone out there, I’d like to wish you a Happy New Year and especially, an Injury-Free Year. Dream big, work hard, be diligent and your dreams just may come true....

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dude...this time last year running wasn't even on my radar....and 2 months ago I ran a friggin' half marathon!!! Now I'm contemplating a full one for '08, fer cryin' out loud! Big grin And to think I started running mainly to lose weight...nevermind the fact that I actually weigh MORE now than I did a year ago (and I guarantee it is NOT in the form of muscle), but I'm totally hooked and can't wait to set all new PRs in '07! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

In 2006, I decided to get back into running after taking a 10 year break from the sport (I quit at the age of 20 after running competitively until sophomore year of college). That having been said, my accomplishments in '06 were: Lost 27 lbs in the first 12 weeks of the year to get back into running shape 56.26 seconds in the 400 meter run 5:04 in the mile 19:49 for a 5k 1:15:12 for a 10 mile run on the treadmill at work 1:41:35 for a half marathon on the treadmill at work Hit .578 on the year between 5 softball leagues Voted gym member of the year at our company's on-site gym
          Let's see: Trained for and ran my first marathon in Chicago. What a rush. Time of 5:37:02 was less than stellar, but for a debut, I suppose I'll take it. I set a 5K PR of 29:46. Big grin Ran my first 15K in 1:35 Big grin All in all, 'twas a great year!
          Mishka-old log

Running accomplishments? Hmmm...very modest. Just getting back into running. I decided in September to do the 2007 Chicago Marathon. I've been doing cycling for a few years, so I thought running would be cake after a few weeks. The joke was on me. 4 months later, I'm just starting to feel the rhythm again. So, I guess that's my running accomplishment. Cycling...had a few nice results in 2006, but I'm sure most people here wouldn't be too interested.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Running accomplishments? Hmmm...very modest. Just getting back into running. I decided in September to do the 2007 Chicago Marathon. I've been doing cycling for a few years, so I thought running would be cake after a few weeks. The joke was on me. 4 months later, I'm just starting to feel the rhythm again. So, I guess that's my running accomplishment. Cycling...had a few nice results in 2006, but I'm sure most people here wouldn't be too interested.
              Heh, who let Lance Armstrong join?! Wink I'd be interested in your cycling accomplishments. My hubby is one of those crazies who goes out and bikes 100 miles just for *fun*. He doesn't race, or anything (he's a 6'2", 240# dude...they aren't really built for speed), but he loves his time on his bike. k

~ Sarah Kay

Waaaay back in January '06 I set a PR in the marathon at 3:58 (my goal was to break 4 hours). After that I didn't feel like really training too hard for anything! My hubby, my daughter and I were a triathlon relay team in a local sprint race and placed 2nd - up from 3rd last year. I'd like to hear about cycling accomplishments too! My hubby's a pretty serious roadie (sometimes runner - can still coming back from knee surgery) and, I admit it, I put the rubber to the road a few times too. Share away!!!
                1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
                Mishka-old log

OK....cycling accomplishments, upon popular demand Wink -Moved up to professional-level competition in 2006. Served a domestique role for my team's captains in most races, but got into a breakaway and took 6th in the state road race championships. -Reduced total training miles from prior year by 25% (due to family time demands) and actually rode better. The key was training with a power meter and having a well-defined purpose for each and every workout. -OK, this one is really nerdy but...hit wattage goal for lactate threshold wattage of 300 watts, weighing 144 lbs, giving me 4.58 watts/kg at threshold (told you it was nerdy). -Rode first training week of over 300 miles, including weekend days of 105 and 80 miles.
                    The thing I love about these forums is the reminder/encouragement to get out there and do it! Thanks for the good posts!
                      -Rode first training week of over 300 miles, including weekend days of 105 and 80 miles. And you still find time to run and train for a marathon!!!! You define the word committed. Or maybe you should be committed, one of the two... Tongue
                      1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

-OK, this one is really nerdy but...hit wattage goal for lactate threshold wattage of 300 watts, weighing 144 lbs, giving me 4.58 watts/kg at threshold (told you it was nerdy).
                        I have no idea what that means, but it sounds WAY cool! Big grin I keep trying to get my hubby to join RA and log his rides...I need to make a better point of telling him how many cyclists have found their way here, too. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

In 2006, I: Ran 15 races (7 marathons, 2 half-marathons, 3 10k's and 3 5k's) Dropped my average training pace from 8:23 in 2005 to 8:09 in 2006 Didn't lose any weight, didn't gain any weight Did 10,440 sit-ups Qualified for Boston in 6 of 7 marathons Ran a total of 8 miles on treadmills Tripped while running once
                          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Tripped while running once
                            Well, I've got you beat there! I tripped at least a dozen times. Fell really hard a few times too... nice big bruise... we won't say where, ok? Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

I always wanted to compete in a sprint triathlon and in 2006 I finally did it... 3 in fact! And I'm hooked to the point where I'm planning a half Iron Man in Nov 07! I also lost 13 pounds before my wedding, but gained back 8 over the wedding/honeymoon. Oops!!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Huh...how in the heck have I not tripped even once. If you look up Klutz in the dictionary there is a cross-references for zoom-zoom. Seriously! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay