More on Glucosamine/Chondroitin (Read 775 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

British Medical Journal meta-analysis

"Conclusions Compared with placebo, glucosamine, chondroitin, and their combination do not reduce joint pain or have an impact on narrowing of joint space. Health authorities and health insurers should not cover the costs of these preparations, and new prescriptions to patients who have not received treatment should be discouraged."

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 20/21 July 2013

Boston Marathon 21 April 2014

Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 19/20 July 2014

I disagree with their findings. It's my sample size of 1. 

I was starting to get really worried about a pain on the inside of my right knee late spring, early summer. I began taking Schiff Movefree and within a couple weeks, my pain started to subside, whilst increasing mileage.  I haven't had any issues or pain for a few months now.

Now, perhaps it's the Vit D in it, or something else, but the stuff really worked for me. I really don't think my knee pain could have improved with a placebo. 

Maniac

I was starting to get really worried about a pain on the inside of my right knee late spring, early summer. I began taking Schiff Movefree and within a couple weeks, my pain started to subside, whilst increasing mileage.  I haven't had any issues or pain for a few months now.

Now, perhaps it's the Vit D in it, or something else, but the stuff really worked for me. I really don't think my knee pain could have improved with a placebo. 

Nor do most people.  That's why they use placebos in medical trials.

Not saying that the G/C isn't working for you, of course.  Perhaps it is.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2013:

Run 3 Marathons in less than 6 weeks

•  PF Chang's Rock N Roll Arizona Marathon (1/20/2013--4:13:19)
        •  Lost Dutchman Marathon (2/17/2013--4:34:27)
        •  Phoenix Marathon (03/02/2013--4:17:31)

Run 1,500+ miles

Believe

My sample size of 1 as well.  It may be all in my head (like the voices) but I think my knees are much better since I started taking the stuff.

I don't have any kind of knee pain, but my legs are 'ricketty' at the end of every week.  I had wondered whether Glucosamine could help, although my google searches are finding it's probably not for me.  Has anyone changed their mind on it?  Seems like the latest discussion was 2010.

<script></script> <script>// </script>
            <script>// </script>

<iframe id="dpiframe" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none;" src="http://fast.dm.demdex.net/dest2.html?nexac=1&amp;nexacvalidttl=14400#http%3A%2F%2Fwww.runningahead.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2Fdbfcdd8288b348e99ebde5d0d74ef205%2F0%2Freply" width="0" height="0"></iframe>

Will Crew for Beer

I take Hammer Nutrition's Tissue Rejuvenator. I had some IT band issues and some other aches and pains while training for my first HM. I started seeing an improvement a couple of weeks after I started taking it and have been taking it every day since. Certainly not scientific proof, but I intend to keep taking it since I feel like it does help me.

2014 Goal: Who the hell knows?

First, Perfesser - I love the picture.

I'm still in the camp of - all the studies show good results, even if they're tiny. This and all other studies find that it does no damage. It's like multivitamins - probably don't do much, but can't hurt. I usually take one tablet after each workout when I'm in a phase of building up mileage. Seems to help. I've done some alternative therapies before (for allergies) and seen no effect, so I'm not completely gullible. (I didn't pay for it)

2013 Goal: Make 3:00:16 go away - FAIL.

2014 Goal: Make 3:00:16 go away.