Not good race strategy leads to a new PR (Read 887 times)

So today I had a meet at my highschool and I was running in the 1600m/anchor leg of a distance medly (1200m-400m-800m-1600m). Once I got the baton I was WAY to hyped up and started in a almost a sprint. When a senior on my team caught up to me(I was on the B team so I got the baton later) he told me to draft off of him. Trying to keep up with him was a BAD idea. By the 800m split I was wicked tired but still wanted to PR but I heard as I crossed the 800m marker my time was 2:59. I literally freaked out and turned in to turbo mode. I managed to finish the race with a PR of 3 seconds at 5:52. But a quick question which do you guys think is better: consistancy or fast and slow laps?

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

I'm no expert, but I generally assume even splits are more optimal. But I've PR'd off of fast starts myself -- my guess is that I'm afraid to go out fast enough to PR unless I'm caught up in adrenalin with other people.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I personally feel consistency is important- saying that, though, my first 200m is almost always faster than the 200-400m point...

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

I personally feel consistency is important- saying that, though, my first 200m is almost always faster than the 200-400m point...

Yeah thats usually the deal with me too. Good to know.

In a race that short, going out fast is not a bad strategy.  If you analyze well run mile races, the first and last 200 are usually the fastest.

Runners run.

Consistency probably what your suppose to do, but yesterday i got suckered into a 70 second first lap in the 2 mile and went through the first half in 2:29 when i was aiming for under 10:50. I ended running 10:55 with a 5:17 mile then a 5:38.
                That's the beauty of racing.  Once in a while you can do something seemingly stupid and end up with a surprisingly wonderful result.  Run without fear.  

- Joe

all running goals are under review by the executive committee.