How did weight loss affect your running? (Read 1060 times)

I'm curious, I know from some of the incredible transformation pics in another thread that many here have lost a lot of weight since they started running. I have a lot of weight to lose (at least 50lbs) and I'm curious to here how other people that have lost weight found their running change as they lost weight. I'm expecting of course that the weight loss will help can anyone relate personal experiences.
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
    celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I'm curious, I know from some of the incredible transformation pics in another thread that many here have lost a lot of weight since they started running. I have a lot of weight to lose (at least 50lbs) and I'm curious to here how other people that have lost weight found their running change as they lost weight. I'm expecting of course that the weight loss will help can anyone relate personal experiences.
      My perssonal experiences m$ay not be completely on target, as I started running and concurrently dropped 45 lbs in the first year, so some differences may be new runner shakedown. 1. Energy. Early on, my runs would leave me tired for the day. As I lost weight, I found my energy levels rose and I could give more to running. 2. Speed. I did (and am still) bouncing around quite a bit in my last 10 lbs, and a significant gain usually shows up as a few seconds shift in my pace in easy runs.It may be psychological, but I do know my speed increased dramatically as I dropped weight. 3. Chafing. As I lost weight, my thighs and arms chafed. Now I don't worry about that much unless I have a long run in high heat. 4. Wear and tear. My joints complain less the lighter I am. Again, much of this was also from being a new runner so take with a grain of salt. Or a side of chips and salsa.

Chris
      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Junior Amphibian

Basic physics dictates that losing weight must benefit you in running because a lower mass requires less energy to propel. Also, the pressure on your leg joins (particularly knees) will be significantly smaller which will lead to less injuries. Added together, this will let you to run faster, although not necessarily longer distances. I have lost about 25 pounds since the last winter and definitely feel a positive difference.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Member Since 2008

With weight loss, less pain in joints and more speed.
            I noticed that the effort at a given pace becomes easier with the lower body-weight. Less huffing and puffing now Big grin I am still heavy at 185 lbs and the heat is a factor but it is much better running than it was at 270 lbs - even though the heavier Hefty was in the cool air of early 2008 Big grin
            Wingz

Professional Noob

3. Chafing. As I lost weight, my thighs and arms chafed. Now I don't worry about that much unless I have a long run in high heat.
              I've noticed this especially. Plus, my self-confidence is up, which helps my running too. Lost about 50 lbs since I started running 3-ish years ago.

Roads were made for journeys...

Hoping to Run Again :-(

My weight loss happened a number of years ago through a variety of life changes (new eating habits, new country, new husband!) and I've been a runner off and on through all of that. I'd say for me the number one improvement was self-image, which makes everything better. Might seem silly, but more confidence being "seen" out running is a huge catalyst to the number of miles I do out there. Aside from that, I definitely have more energy and feel, dare I say, a bit "athletic" for the first time in my life. Running isn't something I do in quiet and never mention any more - it (in part) defines who I am. Here's the page where I posted my "before and now" pics: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/493cf0ddfaed49fcaae877558d5371b0/14
                ~ Fly ~
                Only as much as I dream can I be.
                veggies on the run
                  I read somewhere that losing one pound of body weight equates to taking four pounds of pressure off the knees. Pretty amazing to think of.
                  2009 Goals:
                  PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                  Run a 10K
                  Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                  Complete my first Sprint Tri
                    1995 weight: 280 1995 mile time: 14:XX 2008 weight: 177 2008 mile time: 6:11
                    pitrunner

In addition to all the other lovely things the others mentioned, I have some hard numbers for you: November 07 - 5k time - 34:28 June 08 (down 35lbs.). 5k time - 28:55 MTA: As you can see, I'm now quick as the wind.
                        comments from someone half-way through the journey. 1) Alot easier to get out for run when the scale is moving downward Big grin 2) Yes, the chaffing (which was a huge deal for me) is drastically reduced. 3) Easier to add new routines (such as speed workouts) and distances I got 25 lbs in the books and 20 more to go. Smile
                        2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Old, Slow, Happy

O.K. I lost 95 lbs. over about 2 years. It has remained gone after 3 more years. My first 5K was in early 2004 and the time was 29:44. My fastest 5K was 23:10. I run a lot of Long Slow Distance. My favorite race was a 10 miler in 81:00! For me that's truckin'!! I find an increase in energy and, of course, less chaffing. My knees are happier than when I was heavy even though I run 12 -16 milers regularly. Running lets me eat without gaining. In fact, when I was running and not eating enough, I got sick. I had chills when it was 85 degrees. So, keep on working and be careful of your nutrition. Modified to say: Another benefit---Check out the legs that running got me!!
                          celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Running lets me eat without gaining. In fact, when I was running and not eating enough, I got sick. I had chills when it was 85 degrees. So, keep on working and be careful of your nutrition.
                            Good point. I had a huge plateau in my weight loss when I went from 3 to 5 days a week fo running and from no cross-training to 4x per week cross training. Turns out I wasn't eating enough. It was a great bonus to be able to have the occasional cheeseburger and pretty much eat all day, as long as it was fruit and veggies, and stay in range. Very different from the initial starvation experience.

Chris
                            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

See? Now this gives a 150 lb chubby gal who runs a 13 minute mile some hope...
                              -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
                                wow impressive! pit runner you too.
                                The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                                • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                                • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                                • Complete a 10K fun run