Tips on Dealing with Compartment Issues in Tibialis Anterior (Read 435 times)

So I'm experiencing shin splints of the TA variety. An extremely cautious and thorough warming up involving run/walk alternations seems to help as does trying to land as flat footed as possible (find this to be a harder work-out for me though so more walk breaks). Can anyone else offer any pre, during or post running tips for dealing with this? Any exercising/strength training that might help? Self-massage? Ice? I would rather get some advice from here since this issue is not severe yet but I have no access to a sports doc and others just seems to take the "if it hurts when you run stop running" approach and I find it hard to believe that is the only answer in this mild case.
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
      Having suffered from the splints more times than I care to remember..... Here's what worked for me: Lots of hot baths both before and after a run Foam roller: This was the best 13 bucks I ever spent. Roll your calves while the muscles are still warm, such as right after a run, or after a hot bath, this breaks up the small knots in the muscles that are causing all the discomfort you are feeling. DON'T overstretch. I think this causes more damage than good. Just a light stretch AFTER you run. SLOW DOWN. slowing to a really slow pace basically solved the problem entirely. Slow pace equals happy shins. Plus, the slower your pace, the more miles you can run, thus strenthening the muscles that need to HTFU in the first place, making the splints be a distant memory.... Good Luck! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Thanks! I'll have to see if I can get hold of some foam rollers. Not sure if they sell these in my neck of the woods (New Zealand) or at least I haven't seen them around. I'm thinking that the walk breaks to slow the overall pace is another thing I'll go for as I move into the HH spring training program. I'm already running a 14 min mile so it is harder to run any slower without walk breaks Smile. No worried, tortoise and the hare and all that, I'll get there in the end.
        The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
        • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
        • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
        • Complete a 10K fun run