Garmin 305 Information Please (Read 1272 times)

ud32

I just got a 305 as a gift. I know nothing about the Garmin Forerunners so I decided to search in this forum. Over 1800 posts are out there! 1) Anyone want to point me to a few discussion threads worth reading to learn more about my new toy ? 2) Any comments tips or opinions I need to hear about it ? Thanks
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

One thing you can do with it is wear it and go out running. When you want distraction from the world go by, you can admire the numbers on the watch -- click the little buttons behind the arrows on the right side to see different numbers. Other stuff is possible (like downloading data or reviewing history) for later on...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I didn't think I would ever bother with the heart rate monitor, so I bought the 205. I've had my 205 for over a year, and I've still never read the manual. I'm pretty sure mine is still set at defaults for most settings. Mine is set to Autolap at 1 mile, I don't recall if that was a default or not. I do have several run/walk intervals set up under advanced workouts, for the most part I only use the 8:00 / 1:00 workout. For speed work, I normally use a track and shut the autolap off. Last week the track was still under two feet of snow, so I set up a run 1 mile then walk .25 mile recovery workout for mile repeats. One tip that took me a while (because I didn't read the manual) is that the thing has a backlight. If you turn it on before you start your run through the darkness, it will automatically illuminate for certain events (like autolap). Eric is working on a GPS upload module for RunningAHEAD, I for one can't wait. I just entered 45 run/walk segments from this afternoon's long run. Tongue Nice gift. Running with a Garmin is not completely free of drawbacks, but overall it's the best running gadget I can think of.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

ud32

Used it twice so far. very cool. Loved the fact that I did not have to keep running my same old routes. Set an alert for 1.5 miles - went out and ran and then turned around when it beeped!
            One feature that is great is "navigate back to start." I don't have the watch in front of me, so not sure of the menu path to get there. It is intuitive to find. I use it when I run over trails, and get completely lost in the woods. I also used it on vacation with my family. We parked our car, wandered around having a lot of fun, and then used the watch to find the car.
              You can also try this Forum, it may help http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php
              "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." Lou Holtz
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

These are the only two things you really need to do: 1) Turn on Auto-Lap. This will automatically give you a split each mile (or any other distance, but <0.5 miles="" is="" not="" recommended).=""></0.5>
                1. Press mode to access the main menu 2. Select Training-->Training Options-->Auto Lap 3. In the Auto Lap Trigger Field, select By Distance to specify a value.
                2) Instead of monitoring Pace (which produces wildly unstable results), set up your screen to show Lap Pace. This will show the pace of your current mile split, which is an excellent read on your current pace.
                1. Settings-->General--Data Fields 2. Select the page you want to change 3. Select the number of data field you want to see on that page 4. Use the arrows and enter to change the data fields 5. Select Pace - Lap. 6. Press mode to exit.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I agree with JeffGlobule's two suggestions.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TammyinGP

I just gifted myself a 305 recently and have used it on about 6 runs now. I downloaded Sport Tracks to download my garmin stats to. The garmin training center is pretty good, but Sport Tracks has a bit more if you are into geeky statistical data and graphs. I have not heard good feedback on motionbased, so I never bothered with it. I'm still learning the bells and whistles of it all, but am loving the freedom of running where I want and not worrying about remembering my route so I can map it out on USATF like I used to. And just about each time I've run with my garmin, I end up running just a little further than what I planned so I can round up to the next mile. It's been a great training tool for me so far. oh, here's a tip . . . look in the manual to set your pace so that it just averages it out on the display rather than instantaneous pace - it'll be all over the pace - but if you set it to average, then something like every 1/4 mile it recomputes what your average pace is and displays that.

Tammy

Wow I just downloaded sports track. SO MUCH COOLER than motionbased's free account.
                      2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
                        i finally got so sick of running the same routes over and over that i caved and bought a 305 today. I doubt I'll ever use the HRM, but it was the same price as the 205 on Amazon, so I figured what the heck. i doubt i'll ever make much use of a lot of the fancy stuff you can do with it... but definitely looking forward to the GPS! Smile
                        xor

Brat, at least try out the 'make a pizza' feature. It's really quite cool and simple to use.

Brat, at least try out the 'make a pizza' feature. It's really quite cool and simple to use.
                            NO WAY! does that mean my Lean Cuisine days are finally over?? Tongue p.s. i think i prefer the previous misuse of my screen name. At least it has a nice French ring to it. Big grin
                            xor

p.s. i think i prefer the previous misuse of my screen name. At least it has a nice French ring to it. Big grin
                              Er. Brat... La Brat... bratayto, bratahto.

Er. Brat... La Brat... bratayto, bratahto.
                                wow - that's impressive. Tongue