Spring is officially here. Share your winter memories. (Read 691 times)

Well Spring is officially here although for many it sure does not feel like it. I still have five feet of snow on my front lawn. However, I just have this eager anticipation of springtime running. Anyone, want to talk about there memories of winter running this year. I had about four close calls with frostbite to my hands but then I always have that problem. I had to alternate sticking my hands between my legs to get them warm. Ran in the beginning of one snowstorm with tiny ice pellets hitting me in the eyes. Had many dark windy mornings when I thought I was going to be tossed away by the wind. Running in one direction with the wind in my back then make a turn and I being pushed to the side another turn and I feel like I am running on the spot. Then there was a few mornings that I encountered a herd of deer on the road. That was always interesting. Made so much ice on my Balaclava I could fill a small cooler. Got back home many times and had to struggle to get my keys in the door and open the lock. Then there is the occasional idiot that sees you all lit up in the dark and decide to drive his car towards you. One snowplough driver that was not even plowing at the time tried to run me over. Then there are all the dog walkers I catch not picking up after there pet. Interesting to see the varying response when they realize my presence.
      Here's my winter memory..... I woke up early on a Monday morning and it was only 14 degrees outside and there was a fresh snowfall of 15 inches from the past weekend. I saw the weather forecast and it said we'd get some more snow tonight and then there's a possibility that a major winter storm may come through on Thursday night or Friday - this will be on top of the 100" of snow we've already received so far. Wait a minute....this wasn't a distant memory, it was this morning. There is no such thing as spring. Just like the Easter Bunny, Santa or Tooth Fairy - I'm just not buying it. The most appropriate line from a movie ever was from Groundhog Day, when Bill Murray gave his prediction for winter: "It's going to be cold, it's going to be gray and it's going to last for the rest of your life."
      Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"

The Greatest of All Time

My winter story...it was another cold, wet, and windy Chicago winter. I'll have a dash of Spring now please.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

• Had several of those "close calls" when I realized that my procrastination has saved my life...watching cars slide into the ditch just a minute or two ahead of me. • Coming up to a small Toyota in the ditch as a police SUV went ahead, then attempted a U-turn to go back to the Toyota. The officer made the turn too wide and ditched himself. • Maintaining 10-11 mile long runs all Winter thanks to YakTrax. • Ran in -8º windchills...coldest run yet. • Counting more snowmobiles than cars on the road during several runs. • Registered for first marathon.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Winter memory - Winter sucks. I'm glad it's a memory now.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

My favorite winter memory is coming back from a run when it was 8 degrees F and the wind was howling. My mom was visiting from Texas at the time, and the look on her face when she saw me dragging in was priceless! She still finds it hard to believe that I run at all. My other memory is how much fun it was to tell my casual runner friends that I toughed it out and ran outdoors all winter, as much as possible.
                This winter SUCKED and BLEW!! The most memorable and worst moment was when my "Urinator" was stinging so badly I had to shove my gloves down there and run the last 3 km of a 10k run into the wind. If that didn't stop me from running nothing will short of a major injury. Talk about addictive there were many days I thought I shouldn't run but for some reason I would just guilt myself into it. Like always when it's done I'm elated I went out again. Snow is starting to melt now but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a month before all the piles are gone. Definitely te most snow I've ever seen but surprisingly not nearly as cold as it could have been. Shocked

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Note to self - never borrow gloves from backstretch. Ever. Risk frostbite if necessary.
                    <quot>This winter SUCKED and BLEW!! The most memorable and worst moment was when my "Urinator" was stinging so badly I had to shove my gloves down there and run the last 3 km of a 10k run into the wind. You know, I always LMAO when I read about this, until it happened to me once - 6 mile out and back. "Out" was with the wind, and"back" was...well, I'm sure you guessed. Sonuvab**ch that hurts! Kinda messes with your stride, too... Wait a minute - I'm still LMAO. I guess I'll change my comment to "I always LMAO when I read about this happening to someone ELSE! Big grin Big grin</quot>

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

A picture is worth a thousand words. This was taken in January along one of my routes.
                        This was the first winter I've run through. This clip from a Ren and Stimpy episode pretty much sums it up Mr Horse's thoughts on the matter On a snowy sixteen mile long run, I did a partial split. A 45 year old guy doing a partial split aint pretty, I probably would have been better off not "catching" it. I still have occasional reminders of the groin strain. Oh joy!

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Top 'O the World!

Typically Colorado..... record snow upstairs.... ] a few of these mixed in "downstairs".....
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            My fondest memory of this winter: I phoned the police on an inconsiderate citizen who decided it was alright to ride their snowmobile ON A PUBLIC PATH IN THE CITY. He was not amused and didn't have very nice things to say. I think I set a new PR on the 4 miles left to home, constantly checking my shoulder and being hyper-paranoid on roadways that a truck was going to pull up next to me and beat me into a bloody pulp. Scary... but very exhilirating. It was sort of nice to know that I would be able to outrun any pursuers (on foot) I must admit. Smile
                            mb1973

I was injured all winter with ITBS....Now that Spring has sprung I am ready to get back in the groove!!!!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My fondest memory of this winter: I phoned the police on an inconsiderate citizen who decided it was alright to ride their snowmobile ON A PUBLIC PATH IN THE CITY. He was not amused and didn't have very nice things to say. I think I set a new PR on the 4 miles left to home, constantly checking my shoulder and being hyper-paranoid on roadways that a truck was going to pull up next to me and beat me into a bloody pulp. Scary... but very exhilirating. It was sort of nice to know that I would be able to outrun any pursuers (on foot) I must admit. Smile
                                Ours like to ride on the sidewalks. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay