HELP? How would you train for Boston - if someone gave you a number - TODAY! (Read 276 times)

Long story short - our pediatrician was offered a number to Boston - but is injured.

He knew I was a runner and asked me YESTERDAY  if I wanted to run.  Of course I said "YES!" - and I am certainly excited to run it....

But now I am facing the reality of running an unplanned marathon in about 7 weeks.

A bit of background......I have been a lifelong runner - but took a lot of time off from racing and running a lot of miles after my kids were born.  I got back into it seriously about 1.5 years ago.

I have only run one marathon (NYC 3:23) but that was in 1993.

I have run two 1:35 halfs in the past year and I have been increasing my mileage steadily - You can take a look at my log - but the past weeks have been:

24 (sick)

28 (race week)

So I am asking for recommendations - - how would you train the next 7 weeks if you were me????

TIA -

Tara

Ready, go.

SillyC

Hi Tara,

Your log isn't public by the way.

I'd do two long runs of 15 miles and 18 miles in the upcoming two weeks and call it good.

Have a nice time!

No advice. But that's a bit above and beyond that he's going to go to the expo to pick up the bib number for you.

"New for the 2014 Boston Marathon, we are requiring that all participants claim their own bib number at the John Hancock Sports & Fitness Expo during normal expo hours. Friends or family will not be allowed to claim your bib number for you. We want to communicate this change to you early so that you may plan accordingly."

Also not sure if the bibs specify male/female or whatever. It could be painfully obvious that you're not wearing a legit bib, even if he did go and get his bib and give it to you.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I was in a somewhat similar situation last spring. I decided on Boston Marathon weekend to run Vermont City in order to qualify for this years's Boston. I had 6 weeks to get ready. I bumped my mileage from low 60's to low 70's for the next 4 weeks and did long runs of 18, 20, 18, 20, then did a 2-week slight taper then went and ran it.

Runners run

No advice. But that's a bit above and beyond that he's going to go to the expo to pick up the bib number for you.

"New for the 2014 Boston Marathon, we are requiring that all participants claim their own bib number at the John Hancock Sports & Fitness Expo during normal expo hours. Friends or family will not be allowed to claim your bib number for you. We want to communicate this change to you early so that you may plan accordingly."

Also not sure if the bibs specify male/female or whatever. It could be painfully obvious that you're not wearing a legit bib, even if he did go and get his bib and give it to you.

I don't think all the charity/waiver/non-qualified bibs are assigned yet and some groups still can execute swaps.

Runners run

ah, got it.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Sorry about that - log is now public :-)

Ready, go.

Yes Mikey Mike - The bib is as of yet unassigned.  My docs friend works at John Hancock and has some bibs that nobody has yet claimed.  So I would be official......I wouldn't do it if I wasn't.

Ready, go.

Thanks Mikey Mike - That is what I was thinking....17, 20, 18, 20 and taper.

Would you try to do any type of pace workouts at target MP?  I usually do my pace at either 10K or Half target - not sure what MP feels like so I might throw some MP miles in during the week?

What do you think?

Ready, go.

Would you try to do any type of pace workouts at target MP?  I usually do my pace at either 10K or Half target - not sure what MP feels like so I might throw some MP miles in during the week?

What do you think?

On one of the 18-milers (the 2nd one) I did 9 easy / 9 MP. That was it. There wasn't time for much else.

Runners run

Thanks - I think that is a good idea.....How did the race go BTW?

Ready, go.

SillyC

What do you think?

If you feel run down on that 18 miler, bag it early and rest, then come back strong for the second 20.

Thanks - I think that is a good idea.....How did the race go BTW?

It went really well. I wound up running 2:56 (my PR is 2:49) which was close to as well as I thought I could do in the time I had. 2:55 would have given me BQ-20 and so I was sort of aiming for that, but it wasn't there on the day. Given how little time I had and the weather (low 40's, wind, hard rain) I was happy with my race. And I'm registered for Boston.

Good luck!

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

Years ago when I was a young runner (sub 3 marathoner) I qualified late for Boston, so only had a short time to prepare for it. I wrote to Ron Daws (he wrote "The Self-Made Olympian", his story of the '68 Olympics) asking him what to do. He wrote back to me, a handwritten letter with a long detailed plan. I still have it and translated it some years ago into a Word document.  I'll be happy to send it to you. Please give me your email address or message me.   Spareribs

joescott

It seems important to note that Mike was jumping off from a base of 60 mpw.  Ummm... I'm sure you can do the race, Tara, but you're going into this from a base of 40 mpw (being generous).  I wouldn't count on being within 7 minutes of your PR.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.