HELP? How would you train for Boston - if someone gave you a number - TODAY! (Read 276 times)

I don't think getting close to my  PR (especially a PR run in my 20s!!) is even in the realm of possibility.

I hope to get close to that PR in the fall - with a complete training plan completed.

For Boston I hope to be able to finish in a decent time and NOT get injured or be hobbling around after the race.....It would be nice to BQ (for W45 it's 3:55) but I am just trying to get a sense of what I should run to prepare.

My expectations for time are low - and realistic - but I do want to be as prepared as possible in the short amount of time I have.

Ready, go.

BeeRunB

Don't do anything drastic. You're not going to improve too much by race time.  Keep at your current volume, but try to figure out a race pace. If you have a HRM, it's a good occasion to use it in a race.  Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

So I am asking for recommendations - - how would you train the next 7 weeks if you were me????

TIA -

Tara

xhristopher

Forget the taper, treat it as another long run, and carry on.

Feeling the growl again

One year I decided to run Chicago 6 weeks out (back when you could do that).  I was in pretty decent shape when the decision was made but not training for a marathon.

Think in terms of training adaptation...what gets results quickly and what gets them more slowly.  Mileage builds slow adaptations.  Bumping up 20mpw for a few weeks isn't going to do a lot for you.

What I did, was instead keep my mileage moderate, topping out at 80mpw, with some weeks in the 70 range.  I had run 90-100mpw for my marathon the previous year.  Rather than add miles I added quality.  In addition to Tuesday intervals and Thursday speedwork, I did some sort of speed almost every day.  Not a full workout, to be clear, but SOMETHING.  10X1min fast, 2min slow during a run for example.  I think I only had one completely easy day per week, and it was full on recovery 6 mile jog.  Speed builds fitness faster, just in the long term gains are more limited.  A couple 20 milers mixed with 16 milers with more faster paced work in them.

Recovery is the issue with this strategy, you need to be careful.  It will be harder than what you are used to.  The key is that you're only doing it for a few weeks.  In fact when I entered my taper (which was 2-4 miles a day that last week, full-on recovery), I felt like if I went out and did one more real workout I'd blow up.

There's more risk in such a strategy though it worked out very well for me (2:36-->2:29).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Just realizing this thread has a first page. Damn phone...

Also not sure if the bibs specify male/female or whatever. It could be painfully obvious that you're not wearing a legit bib, even if he did go and get his bib and give it to you.

Just realizing this thread has a first page. Damn phone...

At least for the general population, I think bibs are gender neutral.

Speaking of painfully obvious... I've seen my fair share of obese people with low bib numbers 1-3000 starting in their bib's assigned corral then plod off towards a likely six+ hour marathon. I'm guessing they didn't earn those bibs and I'm guessing nobody from the race org is going to pull them and say "hey, you are to fat/slow to be here. Show me some ID"

Don't tell me we're going to have to run with ID.

Just a quick update - I basically jumped into the Pfitz 12/55 program at week 7 - modified the taper a bit and landed at the start line yesterday in decent shape.

I felt strong and solid through 22 at a 7:45 pace.....BAM hit the wall - put one foot in front of the other and ended up with 3:27:13.

Couldn't be happier - while quite sore today I can hobble around and truly enjoyed the experience.

Thank goodness I'll be in a seeded corral next year - the congestion at the back of the pack was amazing - Thanks to you all for the encouragement and advice.

Tara

Ready, go.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Just a quick update - I basically jumped into the Pfitz 12/55 program at week 7 - modified the taper a bit and landed at the start line yesterday in decent shape.

I felt strong and solid through 22 at a 7:45 pace.....BAM hit the wall - put one foot in front of the other and ended up with 3:27:13.

Couldn't be happier - while quite sore today I can hobble around and truly enjoyed the experience.

Thank goodness I'll be in a seeded corral next year - the congestion at the back of the pack was amazing - Thanks to you all for the encouragement and advice.

Tara

Congratulations!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

npaden

Congrats!  Great time on 7 weeks of training!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

miele

Godzilla

Excellent job, Tara!  Congratulations!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48