Looking to get a Garmin - which one? (Read 1095 times)

jeffdonahue

I am thinking of splurging and buying myself a Garmin but i was wondering which one I should get. I like the idea that the 405 looks like a real watch and seems a bit smaller at least, but I could also save $100 or so by buying a 305 (wearing it on a daily basis is not really an issue. I would probably still only wear the 405 when I work out). Any thoughts out there? Anyone use the 405? One thing I liked (based on what I have read so far) is that the 405 looks like it may have a quicker connection when finding the GPS signals.
      I am thinking of splurging and buying myself a Garmin but i was wondering which one I should get. I like the idea that the 405 looks like a real watch and seems a bit smaller at least, but I could also save $100 or so by buying a 305 (wearing it on a daily basis is not really an issue. I would probably still only wear the 405 when I work out). Any thoughts out there? Anyone use the 405? One thing I liked (based on what I have read so far) is that the 405 looks like it may have a quicker connection when finding the GPS signals.
      I would go with the 305. Regarding the time it takes to acquire satellite signal, at least for me, it only takes 5-10 seconds. How much faster does it need to be?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

C-R

I would go with the 305. Regarding the time it takes to acquire satellite signal, at least for me, it only takes 5-10 seconds. How much faster does it need to be?
        Bonkin is spot on. I just received my 305 and took it for a spin today. I'm not sure how I managed without one for so long. I am still geeked out. I run in the city and it took about 15 seconds to catch all the satellites but this was while I was warming up so it made no difference. Last night when I set it up at home in the burbs it caught the sats within 5 seconds. I looked at the 405 but I got this 305 at a great price and it has more bells and whistles than Quaker has oats. Go with the 305. I can't wait to get home and download this data to really dig into the data. I will soon be lost in the forrest for I can only see the trees.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The 405 is not much smaller than the 205/305. Much more expensive. There is more than a $100 difference. Less functionality. Smaller screen. Uses a new software to interact with motionbased; the software has fewer features than the standard motionbased. Has a high gee wiz factor. side-by-side comparison I don't plan to upgrade...
          JakeKnight

I posted this earlier in another thread, but I'll add it here:
            I'm curious: how many of you bashing the 405 have tried it? Or at least had it around your wrist for a few minutes and played with the features?
            And now my advice: after you get done listening to all us message board 'experts' (cough) and doing all the comparisons and research ... make sure you actually TRY them both. Go to the store, put them both on your wrist, and play with them for a while. Better yet, see if you can borrow one of each for a run or two. I had a very firm opinion on the 305 vs 405 - until I put them both on my wrist. Now I have the opposite opinion. Try them both. Check the prices. Then decide. And ask Marcus what he thinks. If he ever reads these threads, because I'd like to hear it.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Giants Fan

So JakeKnight, which one did you go with? 305? 405?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I wanted the 405. Then I put it on my wrist. Now I am happy with my 305.
                Eileen H

I'm happy with my 205. As far as I know, it's only different from the 305 in that it doesn't have a heart rate monitor. You can go to the Garmin website and compare them.

Former runner

I've had my 405 for about a week and I'm happy with it. Pros: Wireless syncing with computer is nice. Loads of useless interesting data to display on the screen. Cons: Touch bezel is sensitive and needs to be locked out sometimes. Wearing sleeves on cool days can set off the bezel. Switching to bike mode requires changing from pace to speed manually.

Ross

Your opinion about buying a 405 might be different if you didn't already have a 305. Given the price issues and the similarities in the devices, the right advice for an upgrader isn't necessarily the right advice for a new buyer. I said this already in another thread: my opinion is that its a very, very close call between the 305 and 405 for a new buyer. Neither decision is clearly right, and neither decision is wrong. I also said that as a 305 owner, I won't be upgrading. Unless my 305 dies or gets run over by a car, in which case, now in the position of a new buyer, I'd get the 405.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I'm happy with my 205. As far as I know, it's only different from the 305 in that it doesn't have a heart rate monitor. You can go to the Garmin website and compare them.
                        Ditto. The 205 has plenty of functions and geeky data, if you can live without the HRM. But that's really a personal choice. Chris

Chris
                        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

JakeKnight

As I've said elsewhere, I had exactly the opposite reaction. I was firmly against the 405, positive it was sorta stupid - until I put on my wrist. Now, if I didn't already have a 305, I'd take the 405 in a heartbeat. It is wicked cool. The only thing I'd miss would be the fourth data field. ------------- I repeat: take it for a test drive. Decide for yourself.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was surprised too. But to me it is not worth the $150 upcharge for the features or for the look and feel. It may be worth the higher price just to have the latest and greatest tho...
                            mikeymike

I saw a 405 in person on the bus to Hopkinton on marathon monday. I instantly wanted one and I don't even use my 205 that often. I still called the guy a gadget geek for wearing a gps in a marathon though.

Runners run

The Greatest of All Time

And ask Marcus what he thinks. If he ever reads these threads, because I'd like to hear it.
                                I had a 305 for 2 weeks until the 405 became available. From an essential function standpoint they are about the same, but the 305 can display 4 data fields at once, the 405 has a max of 3. The smaller size was what ultimately sold me. I have small wrists and the 305 got very annoying after about 45 minutes of rubbing up against my wrist bone. The 405 is very, very comfortable and I actually wore it as a wrist watch for a couple of days until my wife caught me, smacked me, and made me wear something less dorky looking. Wink My 405 gets signal much, much quicker, like 15 seconds compared to up to 90 seconds. The wireless uplink is nice but not necessary. As someone else wrote the bezel is touchy, but after a few days you will get the feel for it. And also as noted a heavy sleeve can activate the bezel ring while running which just changes the display page. This can be overcome by locking the bezel, which I normally do as a matter of course. I only need 3 data fields. Now if I can get healed up maybe I can use the damn thing again as it's collecting dust right now. Angry
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.