So, Santa is now a religious symbol (Read 1040 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

halloween is a contraction of all hallows eve, which "eve" connotes "the day before" as also in "christmas eve". all hallows day (1 nov) and the related mexican holiday dios de la muerta (2 nov) are celebrations of the dead and placations of the potentially unrestful evil spirits. all hallows day derives from the ancient celtic samhain which falls between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice.

Here we have a claim that the feast of All Saints goes back 1500+ years, but not when it is now. That article claims that St Bede reports it winding up as "feast of All Saints" on Nov 1, which puts us into the.. 8th Century, I think. (I get confused by century numbers.)

It also reports an origin of All Souls from other times of the year as well.

So according to that article, they have origins outside of the time of samhain/Feralia etc, but perhaps got put there to compete/coopt those.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's very funny.  I was laughing at the blind hunters in Texas and Michigan wondering why you set up this link.

And I live in MI and rifle deer season started on Tues...is it any wonder why I won't ride my bike or run in some areas very near to my home for a couple of weeks?! Shocked Even the ones with 20/20 vision scare the shit outta me! 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Also, Odin.

Odin`s day is Wednesday, today is Thor`s day. (Norse god of thunder or something.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

today is Thor`s day. (Norse god of thunder or something.)

Also this guy: 

In our house every day is Thor's day.

~ Sarah Kay

Zoomy,

I have a lot of friends and family in Michigan (Holland / GR), and they're all out finding bambi this week (possibly in your neck of the woods).  Yes, be careful for the blind hunters.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy,

I have a lot of friends and family in Michigan (Holland / GR), and they're all out finding bambi this week (possibly in your neck of the woods).  Yes, be careful for the blind hunters.

Yup, I'm about an hour N of both of those areas.  This time of the year the back roads are lined with pick-ups and SUVs and it's not at all uncommon to drive down the hwy and see dead things strapped to numerous vehicles.

I'm just happy if they take down the # of long-legged rats decimating anything we plant--even the stuff that deer aren't supposed to eat.

~ Sarah Kay

DoppleBock

I do not run in the country side during hunting - Too many people shoot without seeing the target fully.  By too many it might only be 1% but 1% of 100,000 is 1,000 - Sad too because I am spending the weekend near some really nice trails (Home of Ice Age 50M) - Instead I will be running laps in a small town. 

Yup, I'm about an hour N of both of those areas.  This time of the year the back roads are lined with pick-ups and SUVs and it's not at all uncommon to drive down the hwy and see dead things strapped to numerous vehicles.

I'm just happy if they take down the # of long-legged rats decimating anything we plant--even the stuff that deer aren't supposed to eat.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

PS - I spent 3 years in St Joe / Benton Harbor area.

Feeling the growl again

Corn rats, we called them, and they are my excuse for no running the next couple days.  Several freezers to fill and not much time.

Deer will eat anything without thorns on it, and pick around them on things that do.

And no, even as a hunter myself I would NOT run on trails during hunting season.  I recently read the story of a hiker that was shot and killed by a "hunter".  If you do, please wear orange head to toe and absolutely no white (running deer flag up a white tail....you shouldn't shoot at their butt however the same type who shoot at targets they have not identified positively probably would shoot at a deer's butt).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

6-8 Black Men...

Thanks... this is pretty good.  I read his Me Talk Pretty One Day a while back; well worth checking out.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And I live in MI and rifle deer season started on Tues...is it any wonder why I won't ride my bike or run in some areas very near to my home for a couple of weeks?! Shocked Even the ones with 20/20 vision scare the shit outta me! 

Don't let your holiday spirit lead you to attaching a pair of reindeer antlers to your bicycle helmet!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks... this is pretty good.  I read his Me Talk Pretty One Day a while back; well worth checking out.  

I listened to all of his audiobooks while training for a couple of marathons.  I think Barrel Fever is still my favorite, though.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't let your holiday spirit lead you to attaching a pair of reindeer antlers to your bicycle helmet!

If I had a death wish I'd do that and dress all in brown...and snort (oh, wait, I think I already do that part).

~ Sarah Kay

Tramps

True story. 

Late 1970s, I lived in northern NH and went deer hunting.  I'm sitting on a log at the top of a crest, with a view of a semi-open area, waiting.  After a while, I hear the quiet "crunch, crunch, crunch" of someone walking up the trail behind me.  When I turn around to look it's another hunter, rifle in hand, wearing one of these:

No hunter orange; just the brown leather fringe jacket.

Turns out he was from Boston, this was his first-ever hunting trip and he was trying to "blend in."  Shocked

That's when I first really understood Darwin.

Be safe. Be kind.

DoppleBock

Well if you really understood Darwin - You would have helped the natural selection of the human race and taken him out of the gene pool.

No hunter orange; just the brown leather fringe jacket.

Turns out he was from Boston, this was his first-ever hunting trip and he was trying to "blend in."  Shocked

That's when I first really understood Darwin.