Does the hunger stop? (Read 894 times)

A Saucy Wench

So last year when I got to 40mpw the runner hunger kicked in high gear. Where you are hungry even when your stomach is full. My running p calls it "hunger at the cellular level". Last year I was eating whatever I wanted and ate enough to gain a little, this year I am trying not to do that, especially since i plan on hanging around this mileage for most of the year. Does that "I could eat everything in the pantry and then go out for dinner" feeling go away eventually if I stick here for long enough? ....off to find sockoni so I can drool over her latest avatar.... mta: oooops

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I totally know what you're talking about. I've been running for about 3 years now, only really "seriously" (a relative term I know) in the last 1.5. For the first 2 years I was hungry all the time much like you've described. Those crazy cravings have subsided in the last 8 months or so after sticking to higher milage weeks... now I've lost weight rapidly! So yes... in my short running career the eat-everything tendenacies disappear!
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I've only been running for two years and am just now making my way into 40MPW territory for the second time. That's right about when it happens for me, too. So far it hasn't gone away. I just try and make sure I eat theright things - tons of veg, fruit and carbs. Although mileage like that does allow for a little indulgence. It's become a bit of a joke at work - hide your food, Mr Inertia's coming! I can't imagine what my intake is going to look like when I hit 60+ MPW.

The Greatest of All Time

I was like that when I was into triathlon, but not these days. I never eat until I am full. I do get sugar cravings though. These days I rarely eat more than 2500-2700 calories a day and have been averaging >60 MPW. My weight won't budge right now. Trent and I had a long discussion about this in another thread some time ago.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

So last year when I got to 40mph the runner hunger kicked in high gear.
            WOW... 40 mph, how come I haven't seen you in the record books. Imagine how impressive that would be, world records from 100 meters to 100 milers

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

double
                I'm pretty sure that everyone, except maybe you, knew what she meant.
                Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"

A Saucy Wench

WOW... 40 mph, how come I haven't seen you in the record books. Imagine how impressive that would be, world records from 100 meters to 100 milers
                  clearly the mileage has affected my brain also Tongue I realized when I have had this level of hunger before....when my infants were going on a growth spurt and nursing round the clock. sheesh.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hi, Right now I'm doing 80 km/week and I'm "always" hungry. I have the feeling I eat double as much as I used to, and however I'm still losing weight. The problem is that you can't always be eating, after a while it becomes boring, and if you are having dinner with the family you feel quite weird if you're still eating 15/20 min after the rest already finished... strange Blush

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

I am hungry all the time. I try to eat healthy, well-proportioned meals often. I snack regularly. Mostly on healthy stuff, though red Twizzlers are a guilty pleasure. And beer. Mmm. Beer.

A Saucy Wench

I was like that when I was into triathlon, but not these days. I never eat until I am full. I do get sugar cravings though. These days I rarely eat more than 2500-2700 calories a day and have been averaging >60 MPW. My weight won't budge right now. Trent and I had a long discussion about this in another thread some time ago.
                        yeah...that thread kind of scared me. Last year 2700 was around maintenance for me on 35-40 mpw. I really dont want to have the "getting used to it" mean that my metabolism is slowing. Because frankly my time off running when injured was scary trying not to pack the pounds back on.

The Greatest of All Time

yeah...that thread kind of scared me. Last year 2700 was around maintenance for me on 35-40 mpw. I really dont want to have the "getting used to it" mean that my metabolism is slowing. Because frankly my time off running when injured was scary trying not to pack the pounds back on.
                          I really think we have (or at least I do) a genetic set point where our weight will level out when we are in shape. Right now I am leaner than I have ever been. I also have more muscle in my upper body than I have ever had. I would get so fat if I stopped working out right now because I don't think I could limit myself to less than 2000 calories per day. According to how my body is functioning right now 2000 would probably be too much with no exercise. There have been 3 or 4 days in the last 3 months where I have eaten around 3000 calories (mostly on long run days) and at the end of the day I felt like I ate a ton. I try not to eat really calorie dense food, with the exception of occasional ice cream. But I would never eat anything like a Blizzard. I usually get one scoop in a cup and that's it. I am nuts.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            I really think we have (or at least I do) a genetic set point where our weight will level out when we are in shape. Right now I am leaner than I have ever been. I also have more muscle in my upper body than I have ever had. I would get so fat if I stopped working out right now because I don't think I could limit myself to less than 2000 calories per day. According to how my body is functioning right now 2000 would probably be too much with no exercise. There have been 3 or 4 days in the last 3 months where I have eaten around 3000 calories (mostly on long run days) and at the end of the day I felt like I ate a ton. I try not to eat really calorie dense food, with the exception of occasional ice cream. But I would never eat anything like a Blizzard. I usually get one scoop in a cup and that's it. I am nuts.
                            Actually, you sound just like me. I only eat when hungry and stop before I'm full. I LOVE getting really hungry and eating some high quality, excellent food, like a steak, or a bacon cheeseburger. I savor it till it starts to lose some of it's enjoyment or when my stomach reminds me that it's starting to get full. It's called listening to your body.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.