Quick poll for the married folks (Read 1158 times)

How old were you when you got married? And--if you don't mind--how long ago was that? 

(reason for poll: an overwhelming amount of friends from high school and college getting married all at once. I'm 23, single, and living my life! And cannot believe how many friends are tying the knot!) 

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

23, almost 24 (DH is a year older)...but we met when I was 17.  Our 15th anniversary is in 6 days. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bhearn

21, 25 years ago.

23, almost 24 (DH is a year older)...but we met when I was 17.  Our 15th anniversary is in 6 days. Big grin

23? 

This doesn't make me feel better. 

Lol

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

28,    over 27 yrs ago!!   will be celebrating our 30th year together  June 2012

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My sister will be almost 32 when she gets married...she did things backwards, as she already has 2 kids. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

22 and he was 24, 25 years ago.  That was definitely NOT the norm.  We were the first among our circle of friends (we got such a guilt-trip from our parents about living in sin back then that we decided to marry sooner than we probably would have).  I was only one of two of three married women in my last year of college in my program.  One was pregnant, which was even more shocking among our peers.  Most played the field (so to speak) until their late 20's to early to late 30's.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Ojo

I was 31 and DH was 29 -- we'll be married 16 years January 4. 

Sara

MM #2929

30, 13 years ago. I think being 23, single, and living your life is an excellent decision.

Feeling the growl again

26, approaching 8th anniversary.

My experience was that education had a huge influence on it.  I had a lot of peers from HS that got married around 20-21, but they did NOT go to college.  I had a lot of friends who went to undergrad but not grad school and got married at 23-24.  Then there was the rest of them like me, who went to 2-6 years of grad school, and got married at 25-28.  

I only have a couple close friends who made it to 30 without tying the knot.

The exception to this rule is a conservative religious college which I had a friend at.  There, if you were not married or at least engaged by graduation, your peers thought something must be seriously wrong with you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

My wife and I were 25...two years ago...when we got married.  We were also the first in our circle of friends to get married.  We started dating and the end of our freshman year just before we turned 20.

However...the most eligible bachelors of my friends...great, extremely fit, and the best looking (also the only two guys who i would have allowed to date my little sister (who is now married @ 25 and was taken before they got a chance but they sure tried once they met her and she was already engaged)) are 27 and 28.  I got married to my wife because we were sure this was it and we were planning on moving in together after college.  We got engaged just before graduating and lived together for two years while we saved money for the wedding.   But I digress.... the point I was going to make was that those of my friends who I see most likely to never have a divorce and are the most reliable are the ones not married.  I have many friends who married young and I can see them already having problems and on the way to divorce.  At 23, you certainly are no where close to having any worries.  There are still many many eligible men/women out there.  I would say that if you want to have kids married life isn't even that much of an issue until you reach your mid 30's and even then you would still have plenty of time before having kids would be an issue.  Most cases of my friends being married are ones who met their "others" in college.  If you didn't find the one then you still have lots of time.  Tell any friends pressuring you that you're fine and if you are a regular on a running website there will be no shortage of guys knocking on your door. 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Prince of Fatness

I was 23, and we just celebrated our 25th this past spring.

Not at it at all. 

30, 13 6 years ago. I think being 23, single, and living your life is an excellent decision.

26, approaching 8th anniversary.

My experience was that education had a huge influence on it.  I had a lot of peers from HS that got married around 20-21, but they did NOT go to college.  I had a lot of friends who went to undergrad but not grad school and got married at 23-24.  Then there was the rest of them like me, who went to 2-6 years of grad school, and got married at 25-28.  

I only have a couple close friends who made it to 30 without tying the knot.

The exception to this rule is a conservative religious college which I had a friend at.  There, if you were not married or at least engaged by graduation, your peers thought something must be seriously wrong with you.

Well... I'm a graduate student in Montreal (not the most conservative religious town). I think your education theory is spot on! 

20, and my wife was 19.

That was 18 1/2 years ago.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life