Quick poll for the married folks (Read 1158 times)

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I was 22, my husband was 23 -- 36 years ago. Our children are 28, 25 & 15 -- none married. That's fine with us.

ScottS4860

See Spot Run

22 and 21 when married, that was 30 years ago. I have a daughter 24 and a son 27. Both unmarried and enjoying life.  

DoppleBock

dated 7 years before getting engaged (College for 5) - 1st date December 2nd 1988 - Married July 20th 1996 - 27 years old

1st DD in Nov 2000 (Currently 11)

2nd DD in April 2005 (Currently 6)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

heather85

I was 22.  Divorced now. 

No need to rush.

I would know better now.   I can't tell you if the wisdom/maturation is due only to age, but giving yourself a few years to grow into yourself certainly can't hurt! 

(and we were together most of my adult life before getting married.) 

Shikari1

Cotton mouth

We dated throughout college and got married after graduation, both of us were 21. 

I wouldn't rush, I was the youngest age to marry in my family.  No other siblings 

got married before 25.

A Saucy Wench

I was 21, dh was 25  - 20 years ago.  We've been together for 23 years if I do the math correctly.  As for the college thing we were both out of undergrad when we married and dh was headed to gradschool , I did grad school later and now dh is back in school again.  He should be done in June so it must be my turn again.

Long enough that I look at some of the kids getting married now and think they are way too damn young even though most of them are 5-6 years older than I was.

I say live your life.  No rush.  Love dh, but if I had to do it over I probably wouldnt get married until 27, 28 at the earliest.

As for the divorce thing...either in the first couple years or right about now.   Marriages around me are crumbling like dust.   And apparently I am the person that all the newly divorced women want to tell about their newly single sex lives.  Roll eyes

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And apparently I am the person that all the newly divorced women want to tell about their newly single sex lives.  Roll eyes

On the bright side, at least it's not your 60-something MIL pulling that crap.  I don't even like the woman...the last thing I want to hear are the lurid details of how she's getting it on with her 70 year old fiance. Tight lips Sometimes I really think I should turn the tables and feed her a little TMI about what goes on between her son and I. Evil

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No Talent Drips

This thread sucks donkey dick. 

28, 9 years, and I bought a motorcycle & crashed it shortly after she moved out. Merry merry.

I'm in a better place now, despite the 2am post.

Dei Gratia

I was 22, he was 24.  That was 7 years ago (we've been together for 9 years in total).   We got engaged after 3 months but held off marriage until I had finished my degree.  We're not overly religious though so it wasn't because of that we got married quickly, we just felt we were going to be together for life anyway, so why not get engaged/married now rather than delay things. 

I'd agree that most people I know from uni got married after their undergrad degrees (I only know of one couple who were married as undergrads), those I know who didn't go go uni got married anything from aged 18 upwards.   The education theory semi-fits with us, in that we got married when I finished my undergraduate degree (the day after I got my finals results).  However he was doing a PhD at the time and I started mine 8 weeks after we got married.

My parents got married when Mum was 21 and Dad was 29.  They'd been together for 5 months (and hadn't known each other before then).  They are still very happily married 36 years on.  Neither had a college degree (or uni degree as it would be here, but they did go to vocational college) but life and jobs took them (well, mainly Dad) to different places.

I also have a load of friends who are my age and are single, so it's definitely not rare to be pursuing a career or education (not that you can't do this married or in a long-term relationship, but it does make it harder as you're juggling the needs of two people and it can be more complicated as a result), or just be happier on your own than in a crappy relationship...it's just those that are married seemed to follow those general age trends. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Oh roo roooo!

I was 35 and DH 41 when we married.  We are together 18 years now and married for 16 of that.  This was a first marriage for me, 2nd for him.  Neither hub nor I wanted kids, so no problem w/our "advanced age" in that respect.

I should probably say that prior to actually being married, I had 4 serious live-in type relationships between 18 and 35 which seemed to last about 5 years before self-destructing for various reasons.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I was 23, she was 18, almost 42 years ago, April 1970. I was college senior & Vietnam Vet, she was 17yo hair dresser when we met. Actually we met when I was holding lights for a movie crew doing a Bar Mitzvah and she was the Hat Check girl - helping her Uncle when his employee didn't show up Engaged in 6 weeks, married in 6 months. 3 children, 41 yo boy with 3 children, 12, 9, & 6; 38 yo daughter-single, 31 yo baby girl - married with 10mo twin boys.

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I was 27, my wife 30. 20th anniversary coming up.

Prince of Fatness

I say live your life.  No rush.  Love dh, but if I had to do it over I probably wouldnt get married until 27, 28 at the earliest.

Agree wholeheartedly on the first part but isn't the second part a little contradictory?  Why wait?  Do you feel like you rushed into getting married?

If I had to do it all over again I would do the same thing.  I'm especially really glad that we had kids early.  I don't see how people do it having kids in their 30's and even 40's.  That makes me tired just thinking about it.  I see people my age carting their kids all over the place and that's definitely not where I want to be at this point in my life (I'm 48).  I pay my last college bill in about a month and I am starting to enjoy my new found independence.

To the OP, I think that the biggest mistake you can make is to put a timetable on getting married or any other important life decision.  Maybe you'll get married in a couple of years, maybe it will be 10 years, maybe never.  What's it matter if you are happy?

Not at it at all. 

To the OP, I think that the biggest mistake you can make is to put a timetable on getting married or any other important life decision.  Maybe you'll get married in a couple of years, maybe it will be 10 years, maybe never.  What's it matter if you are happy?

What Tater said.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

28/7. 90% of our friends and brothers and sisters are +/- 2 years of that.

And 90% of us were very single at 23.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes