gun versus chip (Read 101 times)

John1956

In this actual case, from a run yesterday, gun time was used for awards. Does this make sense when 3rd place chip time was faster? Just because the 2nd place guy was 4 seconds closer to the start line in this race of about 2,000 runners? Doesn't make sense to me. As a side-note, I am neither of these finishers but am just curious about what others think.

Gun                 Chip    

2nd place             21:40               21:36

3rd place              21:42               21:34

Half Crazy K 2.0

Are these for the overall or age groups? Most races near me do gun time for overall and chip time for AG.

John1956

Are these for the overall or age groups? Most races near me do gun time for overall and chip time for AG.

Age groups.

I can maybe see gun used for those in the first row at starting line but not for all the different groups in back of the front line.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Probably the race organizers don't realize that this is a dangerous practice (rewarding older age group members for starting too far forward).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

John1956

Dangerous practice? Why?

an amazing likeness

It's a road race, not a time trial, first person from here to there is 1st, second person from here to there is 2nd...

mta: The race should be clear about using gun or chip time for awards, an example from a local race "Awards...will be given to the top five overall male and female finishers, the first male and female master (40+), and the first male and female wheelchair competitor, as determined by gun time."

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kkittenkat

English Villian

Unfortunately gun time trumps (Gah, I hate using that word) chip time.
                It's pretty old fashioned, but it is what it is. My only advice, is to get to the front if you think you're in with a shout.

John1956

It's a road race, not a time trial, first person from here to there is 1st, second person from here to there is 2nd...

Each runner gets a time assigned to them, so it is both, a road race and a time trial. No one was at the finish line checking off on paper and clipboard who crossed first, second...and 2000th.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Dangerous practice? Why?

The slower older runners will try and get to the front of the start line....which will slow down the faster younger runners behind them? Maybe not dangerous, but bloody annoying.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

John1956

That's a separate issue I think.

My point is: except maybe for the 10 lined up in the front row at start, chip time should be used for start for all others, as it takes time for the rest of the competitors (who want to be polite and not push their way to the front line) a minute or two to cross the start line.

pepperjack

pie man

Plenty of slow people near the front even with chip timing.  Doubt using chip for awards would make any appreciable difference with that.

You need to know who you are competing against.  Doesn't seem fair to the person out front who doesn't know someone minutes behind in is going faster.  Make they could have have summoned up enough of a kick to still own?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It is dangerous to have elderly runners in front of younger runners at the start. It is unfortunately common for younger faster runners to be physically dangerous when they're in a hurry and impatient, and it is unfortunately common for elderly runners to be less stable, and prone to getting hurt more when falling onto pavement.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

In this actual case, from a run yesterday, gun time was used for awards. Does this make sense when 3rd place chip time was faster? Just because the 2nd place guy was 4 seconds closer to the start line in this race of about 2,000 runners? Doesn't make sense to me. As a side-note, I am neither of these finishers but am just curious about what others think.

Gun                 Chip    

2nd place             21:40               21:36

3rd place              21:42               21:34

Dunno. What did the race rules say?

Seems that many races ("events") near me use chip time for all awards.

But, the more competitive or well-established (older) races use gun time for overall awards and chip time for age group awards.

Liz

pace sera, sera

John1956

It is dangerous to have elderly runners in front of younger runners at the start. It is unfortunately common for younger faster runners to be physically dangerous when they're in a hurry and impatient, and it is unfortunately common for elderly runners to be less stable, and prone to getting hurt more when falling onto pavement.

Again, different issue from my point. But to your point, some races ask runners to line up at signs for pace, e.g., 4 minute mile, 5 minute mile, etc.

My point: Slower ones in the back still would like to compete for awards in their group, so chip, not gun, would  make sense for them.

John1956

The more competitive or well-established (older) races use gun time for overall awards and chip time for age group awards.

This would be fair.