Shoe Rotation 101 (Read 573 times)

Since I can’t afford a Harley or a mistress and have no inclination to play electric guitar,, I am satisfying my mid-life crisis with a new pair of trainers,,, now get this,,, before my current pair is completely shot. Actually they are almost shot. My Nimbus 9’s with 400 miles (got ~ 550 on last pair) are now being joined by a pair of Wave Rider 11’s in my rotation. I might be a little heavy for the Wave Riders (195lbs), but they felt great. I run about 50% treadmill at the Y and 50% on the streets for about 35 – 45 MPW. When the days here in Philly get longer, it will shift more to the streets. Using more than one pair is a new one for me. Do you think if makes sense to relegate the older, now less cushioned shoe to the treadmill,,, and maybe I’ll be able to stretch them to 600 miles or so. Then I would use the lighter new Wave Riders for Longer runs on the street? Or does it make any difference at all? Thanks
      I've relegated an old pair to the treadmill, which seems less impactful than the road. The shoes feel plenty of cushiony yet and have 700 miles on them. I may go for 1k on them. It's funny, because I felt these shoes wore a bit fast at the heel, but once they got to that point, they didn't seem to lose any more tread. Perhaps I just had to "file" them down to match my stride.
        I kind of have in my mind that 3 TM miles = 2 asphalt mile for damage to the cushion. But the tread wears out as fast or faster on the TM. So I think that makes sense to move an old shoe to the TM. That's pretty much what I do. And I would hesitate to use a new shoe a lot on the TM because the tread seems to wear a bit more. But like everything that depends on the individual (stride, footstrike etc). Everything above is totally non-scientific but that has been my experience.