Flying Pig in Cincinnati (Read 850 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well it didn't go as planned but I guess I should be happy. Keep in mind I was shooting for 3:45 at worst 3:30. The good news is that I beat last years time by 22:30 and I had an 8:05 pace for the half marathon. Unfortunatley it was a full Marathon. I had nothing close to even splits like Trent. Oh well it seems I have a lot to learn. ChipTime ClockTime Overall SexPl DivPl _6_8m 12m 13_1m 19_3m 25_2 pace 3:52:55 3:53:11 994 791 153 54:35 1:37:42 1:46:51 2:41:34 3:43:07 8:54
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Does anyone know where I can take my mile splits and show them with elevation?
        2011 Goals:
      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

What does one need to do not to Bonk at the end? I never ran so hard that my breathing was bad. I ran 3 20's before the race. Miles 23, 24, 25 killed me. My legs and feet felt like they were going to fall off. Does that mean I need to run more miles a week, longer runs then 20 or get new legs and feet?
          2011 Goals:
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am on the road, just checking in for a sec. Bearcat, I will respond (if'n all the other experts around here don't beat me) ASAP. Congrats on your time! I heard that a 42 year old died at the finish line. Do you know anything about that?
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bearcat, did you wear a GPS device?
              Congratulations Trent! Smile Two marathons is two weeks! Wow. Take some time off already! Big grin

Michelle

The good news is that I beat last years time by 22:30 and I had an 8:05 pace for the half marathon. Unfortunatley it was a full Marathon.
                Nice improvement!

Michelle

Imminent Catastrophe

There were a lot of reasons why I expected a bad race today. I couldn't even have run it if not for Trent picking up my packet and leaving it at my hotel. Trent--you da man! I figured I'd go out fairly strong, keep an eye on my heart rate monitor on the mile 5 to 8 hill, then see how I felt and drag it in from mile 20. I've had a lot of trouble getting under 4 hours in the past year, so I figured if I felt good I could maybe get under 4 hours with somewhat even splits. Well...I felt good, really good. This couldn't last. At the top of the hill at mile 8 I felt really good and just kept going, dreading the inevitable bonk. Mile after mile I kept up a pace that I knew I would pay dearly for sometime after mile 18, when the muscle glycogen gave out. Mile 16-they told me I'm on pace for 3:45 (gun time), that's my PR from a couple of years ago on a flat course when I was in better shape, so I knew I was due for a crash, and soon. Mile 20-still on the pace and no bonk. Mile 23--3:12. Huh? That's a 3:40 pace and I still felt pretty good. Tired, sure, but I can do this for another 5k! Could I possibly beat 3:40? I turned the corner at Great American Ballpark and saw the finish line and the clock at 3:41:something, and knew I had 3 minutes on the chip time. I know what Jake meant about needing sunglasses at that point! 3:39:15, a 5-minute PR. WooHoo! Man, I love the Marathon. 9 minutes to Boston. Bearcat, assuming you followed a good training program I think that race nutrition is a big factor--that is, what you eat immediately before and during the race. It's the one thing that I did right today. Also a heart rate monitor, it tells you how fast you're burning through the muscle glycogen. I'll try to expand on this later, but right now I need a Martini Clowning around

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Great job Perfesser. You'll get those 9 minutes soon!

madness baby

Yes, speaking of nutrition, how is that martini, perfesser? Wink deb
                      deb

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, speaking of nutrition, how is that martini, perfesser? Wink deb
                        well, there's two olives, so there's your fruits and vegetables! And the pimentos, I'm pretty sure those have antioxidants.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

madness baby

Now that's funny. I only ran a 10K, I don't know if I deserve all that nutrition for my recovery. . .it's white wine for me tonight!
                          deb
                          JakeKnight

T 3:39:15, a 5-minute PR. WooHoo! Man, I love the Marathon. 9 minutes to Boston.
                            Dude. And I say that not as a salutation but as an exclamation. Like in Bill and Ted speak ... or "Dude, Where's My Car?" sorta language. Dude. Nice effort. I think sub-3:40 is a real accomplishment. In my head, there are certain thresholds that to me sound impressive. It's obviously different for everybody ... but when I hear a marathoner report a time that starts with 3:3.... something ... I'm always impressed. Within striking distance of Boston. Especially impressive this time of year. I wonder what you could do on a 40 degree day? Very very nice. Any clue how you did it - if you were having trouble recently getting under-4:00? Sounds like you've got a BQ time waiting in the fall ... Modified to delete something meant to be nice, but that somebody would have inevitably misconstrued. Message boards suck. I'll just repeat: duuuuude! Modified to add: by the way, you do know that they give you an extra 59 seconds, right? Assuming you're 45-49, you've only got to beat 3:30:59 ... which means you're closer to 8 minutes away, not 9. Yes

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks Jake, "Sweet!" I'll post a followup once I figure out why the race went well when it really shouldn't have. Maybe it was the rollerblades? Wink. What's even better is that my pace as the race went on, the last segment was my fastest at an 8:12 pace. Yes, I know about the extra 59 seconds for Boston, and I will need every one of them! I'm looking at Chickamauga and/or Tucson this fall. Plus I just need 3:35:59 to BQ for 2009 (I'll be 50). BTW this is even more sweet because last time I ran a PR (Chickamauga, 2005) I got a stress fracture.

JakeKnight

Thanks Jake, "Sweet!" I'll post a followup once I figure out why the race went well when it really shouldn't have. Maybe it was the rollerblades? Wink. What's even better is that my pace as the race went on, the last segment was my fastest at an 8:12 pace. Yes, I know about the extra 59 seconds for Boston, and I will need every one of them! I'm looking at Chickamauga and/or Tucson this fall. Plus I just need 3:35:59 to BQ for 2009 (I'll be 50).
                                Dude, pick your next race carefully. You're looking good to do it next time. How soon can you run a 3:35 and use it for 2009 Boston? (I can never keep that straight). I love that running actually makes you look forward to getting older. I'm 37 - and I keep looking at that jump from 3:20 to 3:30 for the BQ when I hit 45. Not sure 3:20 is reachable ... but 3:30 might be another story ... (and just 7 years to wait for it ...) Have you posted your splits somewhere? I'd like to see them. I was very happy that my last 10k was closer to the first 20 miles, but still not close enough. Also - I'm *really* interested by the fact that you ran the CMM so slowly and then had these results 8 days later. I really wonder what the relationship was there, and whether it may have actually given you a boost. (Not that I'm recommending 26 mile training runs a week before PRing a marathon ... but it sure is interesting ...)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------